Alternator Switch
  • Register
  • Help

Default Alternator Switch

Hey all...

Advertisement

What would switching my generator for an alternator entail, on my 65 R8G... R1134?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

I am looking at the same thing on a 812 engine (R8G R1135), the Alpine 110 1300 uses this motor with a fabricated upper alternator bracket.

This bracket from the Alpine 110 seems to be best option, but are rare. I do not know what alternator the Alpine uses.

Can anyone add information?
    "fast , cheap and reliable...you can only pick two"

Default generator to alternator swap

Quote Originally Posted by Gordinowitz
    Hey all...

What would switching my generator for an alternator entail, on my 65 R8G... R1134?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Should be very straight forward.

Make the alternator fit on the engine physically. Check the engine it is off, has roughly the same size pulley as the engine it going to fitted to. It should spin at about same speed (must faster than a generator) and in ideal world the same direction (so the fan works well)

Remove the existing voltage regulator for the generator - Identify the battery main charging cable (the very heavy one) , extend and fit to the big stud, lug on the alternator.

As to the other cabling, if you get an alternator with a inbuilt regulator then usually all that is needed is 3w lamp connected to a fused ignition switched supply on one side and the other side to the small terminal on the alternator.

If the Renault has a charge indicator lamp for the generator you may be able to use that. Simple check is to connect the indicator lamp wire, from the old regulator to the car chassis, if it lights up the lamp then you can use it for the alternator.

I would be looking for an alternator with an inbuilt regulator off a Holden, or Ford , don't be afraid to adjust the aluminium mounting brackets with a hacksaw to make them line up. Also the Holden or Ford tensioning bracets can be bent and re-used.

If you cut the alternator bracket seal the innards with tape first to stop sh!t falling in.

One more thing if you have an ammeter in car the alternator will pin the needle after start up due to very high charge rate - either don't use the ammeter or put a shunt resistor across it. PM me if you have the problem.

Best of luck

On the NZ Renaults we are using the Mitsubishi alternators taken from a Mazda. I know it sounds weird but it is "Mitsubishi Electric Corporation". It fits direct and all you need is a 1mm spacer on the front of the block and then whatever is needed on the back. Battery charge cable and battery light is already existing. It can be easily modified to be switched on and off and that will give you an extra 3 - 5 hp. For free!
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Frans

Which Mazda model?

Any idea of the Mitsubishi Electric model?

I assume that this alternator attaches using the mount on the passenger side of block above the pan rail.

Tony

Tony
    That was a trick question because all I do is go to the breaker yard and point out to one on the shelf. One with a V pulley and not the multi groove ones.
    The label on mine is like this: IC REG BUILT IN
    B61V A
    A5T01777
    12V 60 A
    I hope that will help. It mounts on the same mounting as the Generators used to mount or in my case G alternator.
    Frans

Frans,

That sounds too easy, I need to find a one to fit and then fabricate a top mount.

What type of upper mount are you using?
    Does waterpump type effect the mounting?

Tony

Spot on.
    That is the exact model. Here are some pics of mine fitted.
    Frans
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alternator Switch-pict0035a.jpg   Alternator Switch-pict0039a.jpg   Alternator Switch-pict0041.jpg   Alternator Switch-pict0043a.jpg  

Thanks for the Photos guys, they are great help, Frans your install looks good.

I need an alternator with less than 60 amps output, as that the maximum my period (Smiths) gauge will accept, so I will visit the PickaPart photos in hand and try and find a 55-60 amp version

The upper mounting, what is from?
    What does it attach to, the waterpump?
    Which waterpump are you using, and which waterpump to head housing?

Sorry for all the questions but I am attempting to dress an incomplete 812 engine.

Tony

You can safely mount this alt because it will never charge to it's full capacity unless you have 8 spotlights wipers sound etc on at the same time. Remember it is capable of 60 amps but under normal driving conditions I estimate a peak for a short while after startup of 30-35 amps. As the battery returns to normal the amps go down and will settle at 5-10 amps.
    The bracket is home made of a piece of runner that is used in trays. Like in the kitchen or filing cabinet you get the tray opening on this runner with little ballbearings. You can use anything you have.
    Yes it mounts to the waterpump on the original bracket and it is the pump from a stock R8/R10 motor.

Default Increasing The Scale Of An Ammeter

Quote Originally Posted by 750sport
    Thanks for the Photos guys, they are great help, Frans your install looks good.

I need an alternator with less than 60 amps output, as that the maximum my period (Smiths) gauge will accept, so I will visit the PickaPart photos in hand and try and find a 55-60 amp version

The upper mounting, what is from?
    What does it attach to, the waterpump?
    Which waterpump are you using, and which waterpump to head housing?

Sorry for all the questions but I am attempting to dress an incomplete 812 engine.

Tony

Tony,

You can increase the scale of ammeter easily. Get an accurate ohm meter, disconnect everything off one side.

Then measure the resistance of the meter get your self a resistor of the same value and connect in parallel with (across the ammeter) you will now read half of the current passing thru the meter (the other half goes thru the resistor)

If you has a old ammeter you could use the internal resistor from that.

Thread Information