Vibrating 1974 Peugeot 504 Ti
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Vibrating 1974 Peugeot 504 Ti

Hi to all your clever guys concerning Peugeot matters. My old faithful, 1974 504 Ti, has a strange vibration, the cause of which I cannot identify. I trust that some of your members have experienced the same thing and can give some advice.

It appeared almost overnight. When you drive and accelerate a vibration, similar to driving on corrugated road, starts between 2500 and 3000 rpm in ANY gear. A similar vibration starts when one reduces speed in fourth gear at about 1500 rpm. I have checked if all the bell housing bolts, engine mountings and torque tube bolts are tight except for an exhaust bracket to the torque tube found nothing loose. The clutch seems to be OK and the engine is smooth when one revs it up (stationary). The vibration is also noticeable on the gearlever vibrating, in sympathy (?) with the vibration.

Advertisement

The only other thing that I can think that could cause such a vibration is the centre bearing inside the torque tube or perhaps a balancing weight on the shaft inside the torque tube. I would not like to tackle this job before am fairly sure that it is the cause.

Please give me your feedback and experience with such vibrations.

Default 504 Ti Vibration

Quote Originally Posted by One-4-504
    Hi to all your clever guys concerning Peugeot matters. My old faithful, 1974 504 Ti, has a strange vibration, the cause of which I cannot identify. I trust that some of your members have experienced the same thing and can give some advice.

It appeared almost overnight. When you drive and accelerate a vibration, similar to driving on corrugated road, starts between 2500 and 3000 rpm in ANY gear. A similar vibration starts when one reduces speed in fourth gear at about 1500 rpm. I have checked if all the bell housing bolts, engine mountings and torque tube bolts are tight except for an exhaust bracket to the torque tube found nothing loose. The clutch seems to be OK and the engine is smooth when one revs it up (stationary). The vibration is also noticeable on the gearlever vibrating, in sympathy (?) with the vibration.

The only other thing that I can think that could cause such a vibration is the centre bearing inside the torque tube or perhaps a balancing weight on the shaft inside the torque tube. I would not like to tackle this job before am fairly sure that it is the cause.

Please give me your feedback and experience with such vibrations.

Before diving in the deep end and predicting doom on the drive train I would look for obvious stuff.

I know 504's are very sensitive to wheel balance - could you have bent a rear wheel or lost a balance weight front or rear. Driving through the vibration could indicate a wheel balance problem.

How about an exhaust pipe rattling of the torque tube of gearchange mechanism. ?

Or even loose bolts in the rear gearbox mount (where it bolts to the vehicle floor) This doesn't usually show up a vibration 'tho.

Having said that - 504's have a tendency to strip the splines in the drive shaft
    at the gearbox end. This is seldom a sudden event, usually thre is a lot of lash prior to failure. The lash shows up by a "clunk" and lost motion when the clutch is released. Did it do this prior to failure ?

A long shot would be rear drive shafts or rear bearing.

The next step is to try to find out if it engine rev dependant or road speed dependent.

Personally I would looking at the exhaust very carefully.

Good luck an keep us posted.

I am sure some of the resident experts on the forum will have more suggestions...

If it's only on acceleration, if could be drive shafts or uni joints, something along those lines.

Worth checking engine mounts too.

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

1000+ Posts

Given that it's rev. related, it's probably unlikely to be a part of the drivetrain 'downstream' of the gearbox, because that all turns at a rate directly related to road speed.

Sounds like a gearbox or engine mount that's sheared, possibly...?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information