Engineering modifications
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Engineering modifications

Hi all,
    i wanted to askyou what i do if i want to modify extensively, and keep it on the road LEGALLY!
    Basically i want to turbocharge my 2 litre motor using a gas setup.
    I'm told i need to get an engineers certificate to ensure that the car is safe enough to use on the road. What criterion do i need to fulfill this certificate?

I'm told that because i am going to run the engine on gas that i don't need to fulfill emission requirements; and because my car is a 72 model that emission requirements aren't so stringent.
    I'll run my Yokohama tyres, and these should fulfill the need to have high speed tyres with this engine.
    I've got 604 discs and calipers on the front, so bigger brakes shouldn't be a problem.

Advertisement

Does anyone know of any other requirements i have to fulfill in order to get an engineers certificate, and thus ensure my car is legally modified?

Thanks,
    Andrew Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by Roo504
    Hi all,
    i wanted to askyou what i do if i want to modify extensively, and keep it on the road LEGALLY!
    Basically i want to turbocharge my 2 litre motor using a gas setup.
    I'm told i need to get an engineers certificate to ensure that the car is safe enough to use on the road. What criterion do i need to fulfill this certificate?

I'm told that because i am going to run the engine on gas that i don't need to fulfill emission requirements; and because my car is a 72 model that emission requirements aren't so stringent.
    I'll run my Yokohama tyres, and these should fulfill the need to have high speed tyres with this engine.
    I've got 604 discs and calipers on the front, so bigger brakes shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone know of any other requirements i have to fulfill in order to get an engineers certificate, and thus ensure my car is legally modified?

Thanks,
    Andrew Shearer
    Andrew
    When you consult an engineer he can tell you what areas need improving to pass and for him so sign of on a engineering certificate. Contact your roads authority and they will have a list of registered engineers.
    Do some/lots of home work research on things like expected power increase as a percentage. Then realise that you will need to beef up, repair and upgrade the braking and suspention. Also include things like tyre/wheel upgrades, who will do the work, exmaples of other cars etc. Take all this to the engineer as it will only make his job easier and charge you less money. - Chris
    ... ptui!

I did my homework on getting the 505 engineered and the inspection station said that the brakes were better than required, even with the 200+ odd hp it produces. Nisspug will also tell you a similar story. Brakes should be fine, wheels may need to be bigger to accomodate more rubber, might need suspension mods to keep them happy also.

IIRC, when Nisspug had his 505 checked, the engineering signatory was quite surprised to see how sturdy the 504/505 design is.

Hi Andrew,
    Why don't you talk to Rob as the engineer he got to do his 505 was reasonably Peugeot friendly. His car has much more power and the upgrades to brakes and suspension were minimal. One thing you may need is dual circuit brakes. Definately talk to the engineer you intend using before you start.

Jarrod

Fellow Frogger!

Cheers Jarrod,
    i actually sent Rob an email yesterday asking him about what he had to do, hopefully i'll hear back from him soon.
    I think i might use te bloke Rob used as he sounds pretty good, do you know if it cost much to get him to look over the car?

Thanks,
    Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

I've talked to a few engineers but havent actually had my 505 certified yet. I'm just giving it a tidy up now to get ready for an engineer and still tossing up between a couple - a guy in Eltham and a company in Braeside called Enkelman and Assoc (their engineer is away and not back for a couple of weeks). Going rate seems to be $550-650. The guy in Eltham is asking for $45 for an initial on-site inspection before you bring it in for the main inspection which seems fair and easier than trailering the car in. The impression I have is that discs all round should be adequate as long as front discs are vented. I had my 504's brakes tested for a RWC once and the guy said they were better than many modern cars. Other requirements are: 10mm clearance around engine; brake lines protected from heat with shielding; may need emissions test; 89db noise level; 150.2mm ground clearance min. etc. I'd be interested in this other engineer too so keep us posted...

Thread Information