203 rear doors
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 203 rear doors

Default 203 rear doors

I'm tearing my hair out (what's left of it).

The front door (on each side) fits perfectly, but each rear door is too high at the rear.

All day I've messed about trying to get one of the back doors to fit, but the more I try the worse it gets.

I know the hinges are welded to the door, and the hinges are welded to the pillar.

Advertisement

I think my best chance of sorting things out is to;

cut the door hinges off the door, locate the door in the correct position, re-weld the hinges to the door.

Or is there an easier (PLEASE) solution?

Mike.

1000+ Posts

How much are they too high by?

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall
    How much are they too high by?

Only by about 1/4 of an inch, but with me messing about trying to get it right, it's now too far back by about 1/8 inch.

The thing is, I don't understand how it happened in the first place. Aaaargh!

Mike.

1000+ Posts

When you weld a 203 frame for rust repairs, you can get deformities particularly if the car is on jacks. That happened to a 403 I owned. But what is strange is that the front doors are ok given they share the same hinge. Before doing anything drastic I'd study the hinges carefully to try to see where the problem came in. I'd be looking first for signs of repair.

Thanks Russell,

I'm sure it must be something simple and obvious, I'll have a good look at the door I haven't started playing with yet and see if I get a eureka moment.

Mike.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 203 doors

Did you have the rear doors stored on their edge? hinge down on floor?

maybe you bent the rear door hinges? do you have the correct size hinge pins in ?

try removing the front door and fitting the rear door in correct position with clearance all round, holding position with wedges and see where the rear door hinges should be in relation to the B pillar .then bend the hinges on the door not the pillar

I would assume the B pillar hinges to be in correct place unless you have had a rust repair at the base of the pillar

one of my 203 doors no longer fits after removal ....it is a mystery
    good luck
    alpine

alpine,

I have had to make repairs to the base of the B pillars, but I'm convinced they are in the correct position because they were temporarily welded higher up during the work, and anyway, both front doors fit spot - on.

It's possible I damaged the hinges by badly storing the doors, but your mention of hinge pins started me thinking.

From what I gathered when I bought the car, the guy I bought it from had two, making one good car from the pair, the one I bought being the one that got "robbed".

The door hinges had bolts through them, and not the proper hinge pins, two of which I found in a box of bits in the car. I'm currently using bolts which are a good "interference" fit and need tapped in (or out) with a light hammer.

I think the doors might have been swapped from one car to the other - why else would the hinge pins be removed? If that's the case, I'll take comfort in the belief that he will have had the same struggle to make my doors fit as I am his.

I have however managed to get one door fitted by bending the door hinge and grinding a high spot off the original weld which was catching on the B pillar hinge, pushing the door backwards when it was on the point of closing and also causing it to spring open slightly.

One down, one to go.

I look forward to another weekend of frustration and expletives!

I must admit to being more than a little surprised / pleased to see that when these things are put together properly the clearances between the various panels, doors etc. is very neat for a car of that era.

Mike.
    Last edited by catshamlet; 20th September 2005 at 10:43 AM. Reason: forgot something

Thread Information