205 gti spring ????
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 gti spring ????

the gti is getting noticably bouncy at the front,this was before the strut brace was installed and is still doing it after instalation.
    i was wondering if my springs are going saggy?
    ive got the konis on the second setting but it makes no difference what setting they are on which makes me suspect the springs.
    the konis are firm but ive noticed a bit of springing from the front on dips and large bumps.
    im about to reset another set of springs so maybe the timings good so swap em over.
    is my theory right?-BAZZ

Advertisement

Baz I've got some 35mm springs that I've decided I wont use. Let me know if you want them eh?
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    the gti is getting noticably bouncy at the front,this was before the strut brace was installed and is still doing it after instalation.
    ive got the konis on the second setting but it makes no difference what setting they are on which makes me suspect the springs.
    the konis are firm but ive noticed a bit of springing from the front on dips and large bumps.
    im about to reset another set of springs so maybe the timings good so swap em over.
    is my theory right?-BAZZ
    Bouncing sounds like rebound to me, adjusting the konis adjusts rebound so I would have thought that would have helped. Saggy springs just means it's lower, and crashes more on bumps. If you set the rebound too stiff they can kind of tuck down on eg ripple strips cos you haven't adjusted bump, but that's more of a tight feeling than bouncy...
    205gti

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    Bouncing sounds like rebound to me, adjusting the konis adjusts rebound so I would have thought that would have helped. Saggy springs just means it's lower, and crashes more on bumps. If you set the rebound too stiff they can kind of tuck down on eg ripple strips cos you haven't adjusted bump, but that's more of a tight feeling than bouncy...
    Yes, shockers rather than springs.
    Graham

is my theory right?-BAZZ

i don't know if you reset your originals or used after-markets and i'm no authority on this, but i have been in a couple of lowered (35 & 60mm) 205s and they both seemed 'jiggly', or 'bouncy' as you put it. it seemed it was part of its travel, and not rebounding as there was no sort of hitting or anything. i thought this was the norm for lowered vehicles. you can see it on the bro mobiles all the time...
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

on further testing i have noticed that it is only at freeway travel speeds that it does it.
    ill muck around with settings on the shockers and do a couple of freeway runs and see what happens.-BAZZ

Fellow Frogger!

on further testing i have noticed that it is only at freeway travel speeds that it does it.
    ill muck around with settings on the shockers and do a couple of freeway runs and see what happens.-BAZZ
    Set the Koni's to medium stiffness and see how it goes. I think they would probably work better at that setting unless you have 260 lbs/inch or stiffer springs. (BTW, 280 lbs/inch narrow springs work great for the 205). Then go for a drive. If the problem persists:

Press down hard on the nose, see how far up it travels before returning to the original (at rest) position. If it is more than 10 cm or so from the original position I would check shocks. It can also easily be checked at an alignment place; they can look at shock function, which takes two minutes and is usually free. If the measurements show that less than 70% of the function remains, I would change the shocks. If there is a big discrepancy between the left and right shocks (for example if one is at 40% and the other at 70%) check the front end for bent parts and proper alignment. The discrepancy, however, could also be incidental (caused for example by one wheel hitting a pothole really hard at speed) so don't go crazy if you can't find anything.

I believe Bilstein Group N's work well on 205's.

Thanos
    Last edited by Thanos; 18th September 2005 at 09:34 AM.

Thread Information