Expansion Chamber
  • Register
  • Help

Default Expansion Chamber

on my R10, the expansion chamber is usually pretty good in the amount it contains in relation to "minimum and maximum" volumes.

BUT, on saturday after a nice hot day, around the 27-30 mark, it showed some heating problems in the radiator.

i drove to a car show about 35 minutes away in the morning (rather cool then, bout 15 degrees i'd say)

anyway, it sat in the sun for 5 hours, and then i drove home.

got about 25 minutes into the journey home, and the oil pressure warning light came on....so i figured i was running low, as i expected a lil. so i pull over and added 500ml of oil, and continued driving home, got 2 streets from home, and the same light comes on, so i knew something was up (i was unaware the oil pressure light was also the water temp light , i found this out later)

so after sittin for a while, i went to the shopping centre, bout 5-10 min away, almost there and i heard this noise, unsure of what it was and sure it wasn't the reno, i drove on.

got to the shops and to my huge surprise, the expansion chamber was boiling!!! ALOT!!, and full to the brim. so after letting cool a bit, i slowly released the cap to let out steam. finally after 30 mins or longer, it was back to normal.

but i feel there is a radiator prob, as the mixture of coolant and water in the EC, was a very murky brown indeed.

Advertisement

is my radiator in need of replacing? new core maybe? better cooling setup?

thanx
    1968 :: R10

I would suspect a blown head gasket, as a stuck thermostat would have caused it to boil much quicker. What is your coolant doing looking brown and murky anyway??? Surely you care for your R10 better than this!!!

Your radiator was OK in the morning and is unlikely to have suddenly got bad in the hotter afternoon. To discount your thermostat, take it out and put it in boiling water and see if it opens.

The integrity of the head gasket can be checked by a pressuring tool used by garages. Basically, if the pressure drops you have a leak somewhere, most likely in your case at the head gasket, possibly caused by corrosion by having lousy coolant. It is a cruel circle.
    Last edited by alan moore; 15th September 2005 at 10:48 AM.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Just be glad it didnt shatter the glass bottle - happened once on my paddock bomb R10. Most annoying. Although in that case it was the pressure release valve failing.

As mentioned, check thermostat. If its a head gasket, you find the coolant is a bit "greasy". Pretty hard to blow a head gasket on these things though. I never cooked my road going R10 - even thrashing it (only way they got driven back in my silly days ) in 40 plus days in Melbourne traffic.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Default Rad cap and exp bottle seals

Don't overlook the condition of the sealing washer on either the expansion bottle (more likely) or the radiator cap. IF either lose pressure from the system it will boil at a low temperature - and of course boiling stirs up the soup in the engine. same with leaking hoses etc.

Traces of oil or oily scum in the expansion bottle/radiator may be an indicator of more serious trouble(head gasket etc)

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Don't overlook the condition of the sealing washer on either the expansion bottle (more likely) or the radiator cap. IF either lose pressure from the system it will boil at a low temperature - and of course boiling stirs up the soup in the engine. same with leaking hoses etc.
    Thats why my bottle shattered - it had been running with leaks for so long, i never knew the release valave was kaput. Fixed all the leaks and away she blew
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information