how much would a 505 Gti engine cost?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default how much would a 505 Gti engine cost?

i have a 505 and i was thinking about puting a 505 Gti engine in there and i want it to be a 5 speed manual? how much would this cost? just for the engine

Advertisement

Gus

If you buy the engine alone from a wrecker you might be up for a bit more (due to pulling costs), but if you buy a whole car around the engine it can be had cheaper. I bought a whole 505 GTI wreck (gone clutch, crud body, but OK engine + 15in rims) for $1000 a couple of years ago, and turned down a 505 Exec (GTI engine but auto box) wreck for $450 in March.

I'd call some local Peugeot workshops and see if they have anything rusting out the back.

... then you just need to pull it out and put it in your 505 (assuming this is worth doing.) Be warned: some wiring is required for GTI engines (have a search on the forums for my experiences doing just that!)
    Last edited by Gus; 14th September 2005 at 03:30 PM.

Default an engine

Spotted this on ebay, its in Melbourne.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Peugeot-504-5...QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers Ranger.
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PUG_405_7000
    i have a 505 and i was thinking about puting a 505 Gti engine in there and i want it to be a 5 speed manual? how much would this cost? just for the engine
    I have a manual STi/GTi gearbox and everything required to convert an auto STi/GTi to manual.
    Apparently the gear box is a little noisy but the price will take this into account.
    Graham

Wizz bang SII 5speed GTI can be got for the $4-5k mark. At these prices it should be very well looked after.
    $2k for the motor, (reco), at least. And as much again by the time you have farnarkled, (technical term), around fixing, changing and redoing the thing, (not to mention the missing skin and time).

As a project to teach yourself Zen like patience-yes. As a run up transport option-take the pills and lie down.......
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PUG_405_7000
    I think you would find the original XN motor to have more usuable torque anyway, so probably not worth the effort.
    Graham

Tadpole

Default thx for the info

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I think you would find the original XN motor to have more usuable torque anyway, so probably not worth the effort.
    Graham

thanks for the info

I did exactly what you are considering, and as per usual everyone's on the money on AF. Buy a GTi and use what you can from it. The way I did it was definitely the expensive way.

A friend conveniently had an STi with a new clutch (which it fried on the dyno, I'm so proud!) which he parted with for $600 so that was the gearbox and, clutch and slave cylinder covered.

I bought a Feb '85 GTi Exec motor from Reno Reck (NSW Central Coast) from a written off 505. I paid a lot, but got everything except the ECU, which I didn't need anyway.

It's not a bolt in job. Wiring? Fuel pump? Engine mounts? It's a long list which you need to research before you get started, but in my opinion it's a good upgrade. Graham makes a good point though about the torque curve. It's not the same 'little lugger' as a carby 505 or 504; needs a bit more of a stir to get moving.

I took about double the time I had anticipated because of all the extra things I hadn't originally considered such as those listed above.

Why the swap if I may ask?

Thread Information