404 ute rear end and brake swap
  • Register
  • Help

Default 404 ute rear end and brake swap

I have a 404 ute, 1070 model. I recently bought a 1977 504 wagon so that I could swap the rear end for easier cruising in the ute. I was just wondering if anyone knows if I can swap the entire axle in as the wagon is coil while the ute is leaf. The housing looks as though it may have the same holes drilled in both.
    also, if this is possible, Is there any way to swap the front brakes onto the 404 in place of it's pathetic drum all around. I guess what I'm asking is, is there a way to swap all the brakes from the wagon to the ute? I just don't want to have a 5 stud on the front and a 4 stud on the back.
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

Howdy Yank,

you get the first one to answer who isn't quite sure but your still on line so some answer will be better than none.

There is a great deal of interchangeability between models in the Peugeot range.

At the rear end you will probably find that the half axle casings are interchangeable so if the 504 W rear end doesn't bolt straight in changing these should see you right.

As to the front end you may find that the hubs are interchangeable allowing easy fitment of the disks etc.

18 years ago I had my head pinned to the ground by a 404 wagon diff and after coming back from hospital and reassembling it I haven't been there since, I do now have a brace of 504 wagons and am more recently familiar with their underneath.

However what gives me most sureity about the exchange is that my 403 runs 4 wheel disc brakes from a 504, that happened with a minimum of fuss and I believe, although cannot state catagorically, that what you seek is do-able without to much fuss.

I presume the ute runs 15 inch rims? The wagon will be 14 of course. You may wish to try some higher profile tyres to bring tha speedo back into alignment. If you have tons of money you can put 14" centres in 15" rims for about $180 each. Carrying two spares in a ute isn't the end of the world. or go mags, would turn heads!!

Cheers ed ge

Ps. don't be discouraged by the drum brakes, proper maintainance will see them work as effectively as discs, consider plumbing in the booster from the wagon.
    Last edited by edgedweller; 14th September 2005 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by downunderyank
    I have a 404 ute, 1070 model. I recently bought a 1977 504 wagon so that I could swap the rear end for easier cruising in the ute. I was just wondering if anyone knows if I can swap the entire axle in as the wagon is coil while the ute is leaf. The housing looks as though it may have the same holes drilled in both.
    also, if this is possible, Is there any way to swap the front brakes onto the 404 in place of it's pathetic drum all around. I guess what I'm asking is, is there a way to swap all the brakes from the wagon to the ute? I just don't want to have a 5 stud on the front and a 4 stud on the back.
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    you can swap the diffs over but you have to keep the ute axle tubes and axles and use the 504 tail sharft
    if you want to use the 504 wagon brakes you will have to use the 404 axles and have the 5 stud hub pressed off and the 4 stud hub pressed on after that every thing should bolt straigt on
    the front brakes off a 77 504 will not fit you need the front braks off a 74 or earlier they will bolt straigt on
    then you will need a disc brake model 404 master cylinder and a pbr boster and a HQ holden in line compensating valve so the back brakes dont lock up and that should be it, it dose make a big diference

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

Thread Information