Bar's leaks - 75% successful - 405 Mi16
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Bar's leaks - 75% successful - 405 Mi16

Howdy 'leaky matrix' types,

I've now tested the Bar's Leaks solution to the coolant smell in car issue with the 405, and can report that it's much better, but not fixed. It's been in the car about a month now.

One thing, though, is that the coolant hasn't needed topping up since I put the stuff into the system. Previously it'd need about 150-200ml a fortnight. I've now figured that tis was a combination of the coolant manifold on the back of the block, and the heater.

However, the heater still has a slight whiff of coolant when you first switch it on - but no where near as bad. I guess there is a very slight weep still.

Next time I change the coolant, I'll do the matrix properly. I'm thinking of taking the engine out anyway to give it (and all the hoses etc.) the once over, so the manifold thingy can wait till then...

Cheers

Stuey

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey,

I'd be looking more for a damp patch on the carpet as a sign rather than the leak as I'd reckon the smell of coolant will take an aweful long time to evaporate away.
    I have it in mine, but with climate control operating, it seems that it only appears very slightly and for a very short period of time just on start up.
    I'd suggest if you take it out with a view to replacing it, before you buy a new one, that you make a close inspection of the end plates and see if they are the same as the ones on the BX (ie) Held together by being clamped at the end onto a series of "O" rings, in which case, you may find it's nowhere near as expensive as you might first imagine and it can be doubly sealed as extra long term protection. Personally, I look on the original set up almost as a design fault.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Mine has always stunk in the Xantia. I however don't think it leaks. You may have a pollen filter in yours ?? I'm bloody sure the pollen filter in mine is clogged 'cos it stinks like curry... You get used to it after a while though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Pollen filters responde well to a good sucking clean with a vacuam cleaner and a wash out with Napisan. Bugger forking out $50 odd for a new one....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

My 405 dt from new had a coolant smell when the heater was first turned on. I wasn't prepared to let the local dealer pull the dash out, ( I wrongly assumed it was the heater matrix ) so it wasnt fixed under warranty. At around 200 k's the water pump was replaced, it started to leak noticeably at around 160 k's, and lo and behold the coolant smell was cured. The pump was the problem all along, weeping just enough to cause a smell, but not enough to use much water. Maybe a cup or two in a fortnight.

At one stage I also put Bars Leak in the radiator, and found that it destroyed the radiator cap seal.

Terry

1000+ Posts

Alan, I've checked the carpets, and all the 'stuff' around the heater, poking in vents etc. a few times. There's never been any wetness. Yep, I did think the smell would take a while to go.

Shane, pollen filters respond well to a good suck out witha vaccy, leave in the sun for the day, then a blow over with Glen 20. Someone else on here said there was a proper pollen filter spray from some firm like Wurth as well. BTW the Mi doesn't have one.

Tasgill, yeah, I was a bit reluctant to use Bar's but Alan's had a few positive stories to tell. I think the seal issue would happen if you didn't wipe all the crud off the sealing surface before putting the cap back on. Might be wrong there... Still, the coolant's gone from being lovely and perfectly clean green, to a horrible 'dam water brown'. Still not too comfortable about that, and I think about the water pump, too, with that crud (the pellets, that I assume dissolve) circulating around.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

No need to pull the engine out Stuey to change the matrix. Just pull the entire dash out or cut a hole in the glove box!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Yeah, Peter - I was referring to the plastic coolant manifold repair! I wasn't pulling the engine for the matrix! I just reckon the engine out would be a good thing on a 155,000km car just to check everything.

Still, I'm convinced that I'll get the matrix out without too much dismantling. When I do, I'll do a photo set of the procedure. Nude.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Yeah, Peter - I was referring to the plastic coolant manifold repair! I wasn't pulling the engine for the matrix! I just reckon the engine out would be a good thing on a 155,000km car just to check everything.
    Thats a bit extreme... I subscribe to the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" philosophy...

155K km is just nicely run in for a Pug engine.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Still, I'm convinced that I'll get the matrix out without too much dismantling. When I do, I'll do a photo set of the procedure. Nude.

Stuey
    I bet you wish the Mi had the same heater matrix location as the R12

FWIW - Isn't puling the engine out just to 'check everyting' a bit extreme?

hmmmmm Bar's Leaks in an Mi16......

Hope your ready for a new radiator! I know some cowboy mechanic did the same thing in my aunts Mi16 around 4 years ago, what a mess it made of the cooling system.

The radiator was clogged with the stuff......

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

1000+ Posts

I had some reservations too. Alan S has looked into it quite a bit, and has done same on his BX16V.

I can't see how it'd clog the radiator - the small bottle contains about two teaspoons of the sealing sediment in a water soluble oil. Given the cross sectional size of the radiator, it's a physical impossibility. Plus, it doesn't solidify until it contacts air.

On saying that, though, I will probably flush the system in a while and hopefully the minor leak will remain sealed until I can do the job properly.

As for the extreme engine out thing; nah, I like extreme sports. You guys are just poofters.

Edit: I suppose I should explain - if you haven't owned an Mi16, you can't know just how hard it is to inspect all the hoses, belts and wiring. I'll see how I go with just the inlet manifold off, but to get to the coolant manifold at the back of the block you need to take the RHS driveshaft off anyway. Then there are the hoses that route under the RHS of the engine...

Haakon, it's nothing to do with the miles on the engine; it's the age on all the ancillaries like hoses. And some of the wiring needs replacement (like the oil level sender wiring). You never know, I might never do it...but it's tempting. Then I can repaint the valve cover and maybe pop a clutch in there too...

Stuey
    Last edited by Stuey; 13th September 2005 at 10:40 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I think it would be interesting to find out how many bottles of the stuff he poured into it and what condition the coolant (or water) was when it went in.
    I was at a place a couple of years back in western NSW and was asked to look at the cooling system on a Commodore. When I lifted the cap, I thought it had been filled with chocolate mousse' as I could literally scoop it out with my finger. It also had been fed a couple of bottles of some kind of stop leak to the owners knowledge and anyones guess what went on before that, so no need to guess how easily that would clog up.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I dont know how much was put in, I know it was while she was on a road trip in Victoria though.

The cooling system on the car is always looked after with regular changes but the heater sprung a leak while on tour, I'd guess only 1 bottle though?

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

I guess my car must be over due to have the engine out at 190,000k's......

1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

1000+ Posts

You know what, Ben? You're a funny guy.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Sorry Stuey!

Just kidding mate....

Cheers
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16