slotted discs - worth the dosh?
  • Register
  • Help

Default slotted discs - worth the dosh?

Getting near time for new discs/pads for the 406. Are slotted (ie DBA or EBC) worth the extra outlay for generally normal driving? Or are they only really needed for track work/towing.

Not after more grunt (got ABS intervention at 100kph the other day when some fool tried to run me off the road ), but thinking a better pedal feel could be nice.

Advertisement
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

I put some on the front end of a 505. When you lightly depress the brake pedal you can feel that light thuding that a pair of wharped discs feel like. But once you start applying more pressure that feel goes away.
    I went for a little drive the other day where I usually end up with brake fade on normal discs, this time no fade with the slotted+cross drilled. Could really smell the brake pads by the end though, so my pad choice could be better!

Quote Originally Posted by james h
    I put some on the front end of a 505. When you lightly depress the brake pedal you can feel that light thuding that a pair of wharped discs feel like. But once you start applying more pressure that feel goes away.
    I went for a little drive the other day where I usually end up with brake fade on normal discs, this time no fade with the slotted+cross drilled. Could really smell the brake pads by the end though, so my pad choice could be better!
    IMO the pads make far more difference...
    205gti

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    IMO the pads make far more difference...
    Inclined to agree (plus it will be cheaper ). Maybe some good Bendix standard discs and Greenstuff pads would be the go.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Getting near time for new discs/pads for the 406. Are slotted (ie DBA or EBC) worth the extra outlay for generally normal driving? Or are they only really needed for track work/towing.

Not after more grunt (got ABS intervention at 100kph the other day when some fool tried to run me off the road ), but thinking a better pedal feel could be nice.
    I have EBC's (slotted and dimpled) on my SUV and I do not like them. I also like Bendix pads much better than their green stuff. I had Power Slot before them and they were much better. Their only advantage over the stock rotors is that they do not crack as easily. I was seeing hairline fractures, lots of them, on the stock Ford rotors every 7000 miles or so.

I am sure you know this, but the way drilled and slotted rotos work is by allowing hot gases to escape through the slot or hole. These gases might otherwise form a cushion between pad and rotor and delay braking action. So brake feel may be a bit better when you overheat the brakes, although it may be hard to experience it without high pressure hoses.

In my opinion, unless you are experiencing fade or heat-related warping or cracking of the rotors, you are much better off investing in a set of competition grade pads like Hitech and keeping the stock rotors. You can also keep the brakes cool by running two inch flexible hose from the front of the car (I use the fog light holes in my 106) to the proximity of the brakes.

Thanos

My disc choice has been made clear - $210 each for EBC, ~$70 each for standard spec Bendix or Sasic.

So Bendix it is, with maybe some Bendix or Pagid pads. Although, to be honest, I am pretty happy with the OE spec Valeo pads on there now.

The 406 does have bloody good brakes standard, so it will probably be a financial driven decision come replacement time...

This would be a nice upgrade though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-406-BR...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by Haakon; 13th September 2005 at 03:04 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

This would be a nice upgrade though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-406-BR...QQcmdZViewItem
    Now we are talking! This will make a HUGE difference in stopping power.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    Now we are talking! This will make a HUGE difference in stopping power.
    I'm drooling on my keyboard as i speak..... I would have to get new wheels as well though - dont think the 15' wheels would fit over those calipers. So many toys, so little money....

Fellow Frogger!

I'm drooling on my keyboard as i speak..... I would have to get new wheels as well though - dont think the 15' wheels would fit over those calipers. So many toys, so little money....
    Well, think of it this way: You will need 17's (I think) which means significantly heavier rim+tire and unless you are well over 200 hp this will make the car feel a bit slower. Do you feel better now?

Well, think of it this way: You will need 17's (I think) which means significantly heavier rim+tire and unless you are well over 200 hp this will make the car feel a bit slower. Do you feel better now?
    Yup . All pipe dreams anyway. No way I can justify spending that sort of dosh on something that works fine as it is. The 406 aint no race car, but i didnt buy it expecting it to be. Its a comfy cruiser - must be getting mellow in my old age...

Pretty sure you only need the 16s that are on the 406 Coupe..
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

inst a race car. my 505 is

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Slotted discs don't make much difference but they 'should' give you better feel when braking fairly hard by helping the gases escape. I've used DBA in the past and didn't notice much difference at all over stock discs.

Lucas pads are dirt cheap but excellent as street pads, followed by Hawk HPS which are a bit more expensive but good for the street as well.

If you want more feel, get some Goodridge braided brake lines. They reduce the slack in the pedal when you first apply the brakes. You can get them pretty cheap from the UK (well compared to what they charge here anyway if you can get them which is unlikely).

www.brakes4u.co.uk

www.demon-tweeks.co.uk
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

Thread Information