Wiper blades
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Wiper blades

Default Wiper blades

Is a wiper a wiper a wiper?

Is it worth forking out $70 odd for Valeo (ie genuine spec), or will $40 Bosch units be as good?

Advertisement
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

[QUOTE=Haakon]Is a wiper a wiper a wiper?

/QUOTE]

Depends what you wanna wipe!

Sorry, couldn't resist the urge.

Mike.

Great - just what we need around here. Another smart arse...

Default and I've been joined by others.......

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Great - just what we need around here. Another smart arse...

Mind your backs lads, theres another pair of stray poms signed up, and they seem kind of, errm, lively

Mike.

I try to service the arms of the existing wipers reasoably regularly by putting a small drop of lube on the parts that pivot as wellas the spring inside, and then I just stick the pack of 2 for $2 from the discount houses on and find that as good as possible.
    There's method in madness in that I can go 12 months or more here and not drive in the wet and in summer the blades get so hot they almost weld themselves to the screen whether they're cheap or expensive and I find those "5 in 1" types work as good as any. Another advantage is the el cheapos don't have the stainless steel inserts, just plastic, and as the blades deteriorate, they don't cut grooves in the windscreen.
    If it hasn't rained for a while and there's a prediction of rain, I just slip a new one in.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That reminds me ... I need to fit a new wiper blade to my car ... I've been meaning to do it all winter so I don't need to drive peering through the one little hole that's left that isn't smeery ....

On second thoughts ... Bugger it, summers almost here ... Why waste the $5bux on a new blade

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: I'd tell 'em to shove the blades where the sun don't shine. Why the hell would you replace the whole arm when a $5buck universal refill is all that's needed .
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I am being very pedantic about this. The blades are "ok". But they are looking a bit shabby and fresh ones would look so much nicer

But all the little joints are worn and they clunk horribly - would be nice to have clunk free wipers... The reason the Valeo ones are so much is because of the little spoiler thingy on the drivers side blade. But Bosch dont charge a premium for this. Think I will lash out and get the bosch ones. Dont really want cheap universal ones - these have a habit of dying very fast in my experince.

Fellow Frogger!

I am being very pedantic about this. The blades are "ok". But they are looking a bit shabby and fresh ones would look so much nicer

But all the little joints are worn and they clunk horribly - would be nice to have clunk free wipers... The reason the Valeo ones are so much is because of the little spoiler thingy on the drivers side blade. But Bosch dont charge a premium for this. Think I will lash out and get the bosch ones. Dont really want cheap universal ones - these have a habit of dying very fast in my experince.

I had the original blade inserts replaced with Peugeot brand at around 30,000 k mark...at the service guys suggestion...the wipers went from being silent and effective to noisy shuddering across the screen..the cheap inserts are better value and I know of at least one dealer who stocks 'non orig parts'.

The Valeo complete arms come with the good insert and unless they've recently fixed the problem the Pug branded inserts are suss.
    The non branded

Haakon,

Ever thought of just spraying the original arms with a coat of matt or flat black?
    I've done this on CXs with great success. Just sand down, coat of self etch and use a can of flyspray black for $2.50 from SuperCheap.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Haakon,

Ever thought of just spraying the original arms with a coat of matt or flat black?
    I've done this on CXs with great success. Just sand down, coat of self etch and use a can of flyspray black for $2.50 from SuperCheap.

Alan S
    Yeah, I have. But all the little joints are pretty slack - too many plastic "bushes" in the assemblies that are knackered. I prefer the old fashioned all metal jobs - they never wore out. Think I will live a new insert for now - Bosch Aust dont supply a 24 inch with a spoiler. So its $70 for Valeo, or 20 Pounds for Bosch off fleabay UK.

I just paid $35 for a r/s Valeo wiper arm on my 405. Sun damage being the culprit. About 5 years ago I also paid $35 for the same arm from Peugeot. I got the latest one from my mechanic who gets them out of Sydney. I run $2 blades and find they work better than the originals.

As long as the Bosch one has an aerofoil on it, thats what I would use if you have to pay the 70 bux for the original.

Terry

you can get worth ones from peugeot, i've just got 2 new ones for the 306, come with the plastic clips for attaching them to the arms, they where 40 for both sides or something like that...

just don't break the plastic clip...

are we talking wiper arm[attatched to wiper motor] ,blades [the rubber bit] or arm inserts[whole plastic wiper arm with rubber blades that you attatch to the wiper arm].
    i got my arms sprayed last time it was at the panel beaters but had to get them to do it again as they didnt even sand off the old flaking paint. they look a hell of a lot better now.
    wiper inserts i get from eai in box hill.
    for the 205 its actually cheaper to buy the 2 pack instead of singles.
    they were 17 bucks for 1 or 16 bucks for a pack of two as they got a pallet of the 2 packs cheap and can sell em at that price.
    they are valeo and do sometimes skip on the windscreen when there is light rain.however if i clean the edge touching the windscreen they dont skip or smear.-BAZZ

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Every two weeks I apply Rain-X to the windscreen (glass) and glycerine to the rubber inserts.
    The glycerine does a great job of extending the life of the inserts (and other rubber parts on the body). Glycerine is available from the chemist and completely non toxic (can't vouch for the toxicity of the Rain-X).

con.....

Quote Originally Posted by con
    Every two weeks I apply Rain-X to the windscreen (glass) and glycerine to the rubber inserts.
    The glycerine does a great job of extending the life of the inserts (and other rubber parts on the body). Glycerine is available from the chemist and completely non toxic (can't vouch for the toxicity of the Rain-X).

con.....

i use this product as well and thought it might be contributing to the smery scenario.might try some glycerin tho......-BAZZ

I have replaced my blades with a varying range of el-cheapo thru to genuine ones they all seem to perform the same although I must say the latest Trico Silicne blades that I gou fro autobahn are really good..... but the clunking goes on .. the problwm is that the POug blaes are 7mm wide and the ones we but here are either 6 or 8 mm so you have to adjust the blade seat on the wiper assembly --- NOT the Arm. once yoh have don that the noise almost stops. try it and see unfortunately some of the wiper assemblies are all plastig and you cannot make the adjustment - however on the 405, 505, you can just fit the whole trico assembly the 406 ones you cant becase if the design also the wiper arm metal receptacle is about 1 mm wider that yoy get from the local wiper blade assemblied

Good Luck
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

The Worth ones that i got from peugeot, are fab execpt for a little plastic connector,

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    i use this product as well and thought it might be contributing to the smery scenario.might try some glycerin tho......-BAZZ
    Bazz,

You should not be experiencing smearing with Rain-X. Initially you may need to apply it twice. In any case, the instructions given on the bottle should be followed carefully.
    Rain-X when applied with circular motion will "fill in" imperfections in the glass surface and reduce surface tension to such an extent that I don't need to use the wipers at all (within reason) when driving in the rain because the water droplets actually glide up and off the windsreen. Whith Rain-X applied, when I do use the wipers, they slide smoothly (and silently) over the glass.

I occasionally, experience slight "fogging" of the windscreen and again (as per their instructions) pouring some water over the glass removes the "fog". It is an excellent product that has been around for many decades.

Gads, I wish I was being paid for promoting this stuff, but alas I have no financial interest in Rain-X: Just a happy user.

con.....
    Last edited by con; 18th September 2005 at 03:56 PM.

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Meggsy
    ..... the problem is that the Peug blades are 7mm wide and the ones we buy here are either 6 or 8 mm so you have to adjust the blade seat on the wiper assembly ....
    Good Luck

Meggsy,

Not long ago I was able to buy 7mm blades from Repco. I am not sure whether they still carry them. It may be worth trying them.

con....

Quote Originally Posted by Meggsy
    the problwm is that the POug blaes are 7mm wide and the ones we but here are either 6 or 8 mm so you have to adjust the blade seat on the wiper assembly
    Ah ha!! I am not going mad after all. Yet... Trust the bloody frogs to do that. All righty - time to track down some 7mm blades. Wiper inserts do have to go soon though - spoiler is knocking against the arm due to slack..

Ah ha!! I am not going mad after all. Yet... Trust the bloody frogs to do that. All righty - time to track down some 7mm blades. Wiper inserts do have to go soon though - spoiler is knocking against the arm due to slack..
    I have tried to get the 7 mm blades even from the local parts outlet in Stafford ( Brisbane) cant remember te name anf have failed

Cheers
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Quote Originally Posted by con
    Bazz,

You should not be experiencing smearing with Rain-X. Initially you may need to apply it twice. In any case, the instructions given on the bottle should be followed carefully.
    Rain-X when applied with circular motion will "fill in" imperfections in the glass surface and reduce surface tension to such an extent that I don't need to use the wipers at all (within reason) when driving in the rain because the water droplets actually glide up and off the

windsreen. Whith Rain-X applied, when I do use the wipers, they slide smoothly (and silently) over the glass.

I occasionally, experience slight "fogging" of the windscreen and again (as per their instructions) pouring some water over the glass removes the "fog". It is an excellent product that has been around for many decades.

Gads, I wish I was being paid for promoting this stuff, but alas I have no financial interest in Rain-X: Just a happy user.

con.....
    hey con, i was cheating. i got some as a promo but it was the stuff you put in the water/wiper
    resevoir. they did say the stuff you put on was a better result and lasted longer.
    im must give it a propre try.
    -BAZZ

Thread Information