melbourne-where to chrome?
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default melbourne-where to chrome?

    can someone give me a heads up and hook me up with a good electroplater that hopefully is not in dandenong or springvale but maybe round abbotsford/richmond way
    ta-BAZZ

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    What do you want to get chromed baz?

    Dave


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Hi Force in Heidleberg.
    But if you do want quality you will have to go to Dandenong
    Vinneys in Dandenong.

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    4,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jason micheluzz
    Hi Force in Heidleberg.
    But if you do want quality you will have to go to Dandenong
    Vinneys in Dandenong.


    ughhhh....good old vi.nne.ys.....what a dump.....I swear it....but I reckon the whole electroplating industry is run by the "fa.mily" at the dandenong end...
    I ve shopped around and these days everything seems to be priced according to model of car rather than cm2.....(area).....so a vb commodore bumper will cost $80, YET a 450slc, which is not much bigger will set you back $450...vinn.ey.s my a.......
    I d highly recomend looking at comercial operators that do chairs etc etc...offer some cash in hand and drop it off ready for plating...ps, ...it helps if you can get all the prep work done yourself....platers are everywhere....what size they can do is an altogether diff matter...hell, they can even do plastics....just don t let vin.n.eys near them....


    cheers


    DINO

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    What do you want to get chromed baz?

    Dave
    I got a hankering for rice so im gonna do the airbox /filter thingy in chrome,maybe ,if it aint an arm and a leg.-BAZZ
    p.s.-is it possible to chrome the cam cover or wont chrome take to alloy cam covers.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    49

    Default

    A good place is Brite Chrome, but they are also in Dandenong.
    Price depends on what quality you are after.
    I am pretty sure Bazz has not got a linnishing machine or a copper bath so the commercial platers may not work too well.

  7. #7
    Member Foxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dino
    ughhhh....good old vi.nne.ys.....what a dump.....I swear it....but I reckon the whole electroplating industry is run by the "fa.mily" at the dandenong end...
    I ve shopped around and these days everything seems to be priced according to model of car rather than cm2.....(area).....so a vb commodore bumper will cost $80, YET a 450slc, which is not much bigger will set you back $450...vinn.ey.s my a.......
    I d highly recomend looking at comercial operators that do chairs etc etc...offer some cash in hand and drop it off ready for plating...ps, ...it helps if you can get all the prep work done yourself....platers are everywhere....what size they can do is an altogether diff matter...hell, they can even do plastics....just don t let vin.n.eys near them....


    cheers


    DINO

    Hi guys,

    When it comes to chroming parts it all depends on what the base material is. Also chrome is just the top coat so to speak. They plate it in a copper bath then a bright nickel bath ( this is the bath that makes it bright not the chrome) then the chrome. The chrome is like a very hard protective coat that protects the nickel which is soft. The quality in plating comes down to polishing/cleaning the base material and how good they rack your job up so you can get the full surface area plated without it getting blooms. ( blooms are where the plating isnt as thick as other spots and takes on a dull apperance. Hope this helps

    Grant!!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Adelaide SA
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    can someone give me a heads up and hook me up with a good electroplater that hopefully is not in dandenong or springvale but maybe round abbotsford/richmond way
    ta-BAZZ


    I'm not in Victoria, so I can't give you any names, but I will say that there are more cowboys in the plating industry than there are in Texas.

    I have had some dreadful experiences with a number of companies over the years, with badly or wrongly done work, and lost parts.

    If you can find someone who has had good personal experience over a period of time with a particular plater, use him regardless of cost, it's an economy in the long run.

    I say over a period of time, because any body can be lucky with one job.

    Best
    Mike Brown

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •