PRV Breathing
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: PRV Breathing

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Default PRV Breathing

while i was on the road today i got to thinking what next after suspension for the 604 and i thought exhaust (don't worry the injection is still in progress )

so i decided to call a bloke i know that does some really nice work and he suggested a 2.5" single system with a straight through centre muffler and a nice rear muffler to give the car a deep rumble and to get the gasses flowing out the way they should

as it is now the car has the standard mufflers on it that are both huge and his opinion is they are over muffling the engine even though it isn't voerly quiet

Advertisement

what are others thoughts on this idea ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

an STR or straight through muffler, although its a bit noisey, makes a quite a noteable differance to power...

i was very impressed when i had one fitted to my first car and have put them on to most cars ever since......

Quote Originally Posted by 123abc
    an STR or straight through muffler, although its a bit noisey, makes a quite a noteable differance to power...

i was very impressed when i had one fitted to my first car and have put them on to most cars ever since......

i had a straight through and a hotdog on a 504 and it went much better after that went on

his other thought was just a couple of hotdogs but we thought better of it as i don't want to attract the blue boys too much

i don't drive very hard around town at all so a little bit noisier should be ok so long as it doesn't drone on the highway

this bloke does very nice work and welds flanges in everywhere to make things easier down the track

he is also going to modify the engine pipe Y section so that it is further away from the g/box to make it easier there if need be down the track

he knows what the manifolds are like and he said they aren't too bad for a standard thing and seeing as the car is basically only 2x1425cc engines put together he thinks 2.5" should be plenty enough without going overboard
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i had a straight through and a hotdog on a 504 and it went much better after that went on

his other thought was just a couple of hotdogs but we thought better of it as i don't want to attract the blue boys too much

i don't drive very hard around town at all so a little bit noisier should be ok so long as it doesn't drone on the highway

this bloke does very nice work and welds flanges in everywhere to make things easier down the track

he is also going to modify the engine pipe Y section so that it is further away from the g/box to make it easier there if need be down the track

he knows what the manifolds are like and he said they aren't too bad for a standard thing and seeing as the car is basically only 2x1425cc engines put together he thinks 2.5" should be plenty enough without going overboard

Are you sure that it would be enough muffler for the car?? ( I am basing this on it being roughly the same as a 505 system which is huge muffler wise)

Gee's a couple of 2.5' hot dogs?? Thats what I had on the Swift with a small straight through muffler (not a cannon ) and the 1.3 pulled 92dB.....damn....... on a 2.6 V6?? it would certainly sound great

I had a 2.5' with a larger muffler (say 2 foot long) triflow muffler under the car and 2.25' piping out the back of a 505 STi was LOUD ("almost" legally so) but being a 505 it was never noticed.

Just for thought

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

I've been thinking of something similar, but keeping the twin system.

What I was thinking of doing was keeping the standard rear muffler and replacing the mid ones with hotdogs. That should hopefully free up the breathing a bit.

I've always thought that dual exhausts on V type motors always sounded better than a single system.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Quote Originally Posted by MR604
    I've been thinking of something similar, but keeping the twin system.

What I was thinking of doing was keeping the standard rear muffler and replacing the mid ones with hotdogs. That should hopefully free up the breathing a bit.

I've always thought that dual exhausts on V type motors always sounded better than a single system.

i had a complete twin system on a 604 once and although it sounded nice at idle up to around 3k rpm it went into sounding like a fart after that

i had a pipe out each side of the car like the O/S versions

the single system i had on the 504 V6 sounded pretty good but it was only a 2" system

this time i have a slightly larger engine

when i first put the engine in i had the engine pipes on without the rest of the system and the response of the engine was great but as soon as i put the system up to it you rev it and you can hear the restriction and the throttle response isn't as good so hopefully i nice free system will help
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Excluding the very fun but totally illegal option of side exit, I'd go for exactly what you have already said. I've got a 3" straight through with a Lukey muffler and although mine has the turbo to act as an additional 'baffle' it's quite reasonable. I'd even go as far as to say legal.

Why not search around and see what other people (non Frogs perhaps?) are using on sub 3l engines for best performance without too much noise or the intrusion of the dreaded droning exhaust. A VL Comm. has similar output figures to the PRV doesn't it? Might be worth looking at what the Bogan brigade are using.
    Chris.

oh thats easy... 10" pvc Gutter pipping

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Thread Information