opinions please... PeterT :)
  • Register
  • Help

Icon12 opinions please... PeterT :)

i am puting a S3 motor in a S1 205gti... i am having trouble with the wiring... is it worth my while continuing to battle the wires, so far there has been an awful lot of batln and very little progress or should i wimp out and convert the S3 motor to run the ecu from the S1? i realise this isnt the ideal solution but i dont think that it would make much difference to the finished car. what do yous guyz recon?

Advertisement
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

From more of a motivational point, Stick to your initial lines of your project, If you wanted to put the newer ecu and harness in then do it, cause otherwise you won't be happy....unless of course you replace it with a motec m400

So I take it you're trying ti fit an S3 engine, complete with Motronic ECU and harness, into a S1 GTi?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    So I take it you're trying ti fit an S3 engine, complete with Motronic ECU and harness, into a S1 GTi?

yep that is the idea at the moment... but it aint easy ...

i have been struggling through it and had accepted that it was going to take me ages to get it done. then a guy at work suggested that i just run the S3 off the S1 ecu and wiring loomb. this shoudnt be as hard, i have a 87 gti on the road that i can look to when i get stuck and i think the only extra that i would need is the dizzy. what do you recon about the differance in end product?

the car or engine will altimately be sold as yesterday i got a smashed up mi16 but i need to get it at least running either way.

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    yep that is the idea at the moment... but it aint easy ...

i have been struggling through it and had accepted that it was going to take me ages to get it done. then a guy at work suggested that i just run the S3 off the S1 ecu and wiring loomb. this shoudnt be as hard, i have a 87 gti on the road that i can look to when i get stuck and i think the only extra that i would need is the dizzy. what do you recon about the differance in end product?

the car or engine will altimately be sold as yesterday i got a smashed up mi16 but i need to get it at least running either way.
    hmmmm, i hate wiring.........when me and a mate put a differant motor in his silvia (not a pug, i know ) we got the motor in and hooked up everything we could, and then called an electrician............expecting an expensive bill, we were surprised to see him have the car running in 45mins and only charged us 200 bucks, we told him we were expecting more but he said because we had all the wires there in place readdy form him, all he had to do was change a few plugs and check voltages, so it wasnt a big job for him............maybe it would be the easy way out for you too.....

all you need to do is match the S3 harness up to the S1 wires. Buy yourself a 12 pin Utilix plug/socket and I'll email you pin outs tomorrow. All the wires are numbered so it's not hard. Just do one wire at a time, so you don't loose track.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

all you need to do is match the S3 harness up to the S1 wires. Buy yourself a 12 pin Utilix plug/socket and I'll email you pin outs tomorrow. All the wires are numbered so it's not hard. Just do one wire at a time, so you don't loose track.
    but could you explain a 12 pin utilix plug/socket? is this a way of tracing wires?

hope the S3 isnt too hard in the end cos i just discovered that i have all that is required to wire it up as an S1... found a dizzy in the garage

Is this the same car the Mi16 engine is going into?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Not trying to hijack; more of a joyride here...

Peter, can I have your opinion on this one please?

Ultra sonic cleaners??

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

possibly. mi16 is being stripped with a 205 mi16 in mind... dont know what car it will end up in. think i might end up getting a third 205gti for the mi donk to sit in

Just thought i'd throw something into this sorta old thread...

Ian of Euroserve has been battling with the same issue. We have two extra connectors (long, brown, "20 wire or so" plugs) that usually plug in at the glovebox side of the car in an S3.

Oh well, i'll give him a call tomorrow to see if he's twigged it, it might be helpful for others who are going to try the same thing.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Thread Information