Nasty vibration under acceleration
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Nasty vibration under acceleration

Can anyone please help me with a problem.

Got a Pug 306 xsi.........just lately the engine and gearbox started to shake quite badly under acceleration which tends to shake the entire car. Need to get this sorted. Haven't bumped any wheels or anything and also doesn't seem to be speed related so would tend to rule out buckled/out of balance wheels...and also not likely to be bent drive shafts. It seems to be related to how much power you put down......the more you accelerate the worse it is. It also happened too quickly to be a knackered cv joint so i have come to the conclusion it must either be the top engine mount or the bottom one on the gearbox..........anyone disagree?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Had the exact problem with the Clio, Gearbox mount it was!

Sounds like engine mount, but most probably the top one. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Same problem at present with my VW Caravelle van.....in today for a new gearbox mount. This mount handles most the twisting movement in a front wheel driver vehicle. The rubber bush section was 3/4 split!!! leading to auto gear box hitting chassis. It was weird though, in that it was horrible one day, better the next etc etc.

Pays to check all mounts though.

Scott

406 is showing these symptoms. Its getting a new rear mount when the rear main seal is done as it has a crack in the rubber. But as Scott mentions, its good one day, awful the next and then better again.... Will get them to assess the gearbox mount while gearbox is out, and toss in a new one if its a bit suss.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Told you Chris! (or does my car resemble a VW!)

Yeah the Gbox one is under the battery in the Clio, so its a bit "too hard" for some places to check, as the battery has to be removed! (Make sure you get the code & reset the radio!)

Got the caravelle back yesterday. Much Much better. Interesting with this VW beast it has only three mounts....two top mounts (either side) to support the engine, and the bottom transmission stabiliser bar/bush mounted to the gear box. With the the transmission removed the engine pivots/swings freely suspended by the the top two engine mounts!!

It is a ten minute job in this case to remove and replace. The bottom engine tray is removed, and the stabliser bar/bush is levers out and new one put in.

I know this isn't a PUG, but thought it might be of interest in general terms.

Good luck.

Scott

had similar prob. was a top engine mount. both in a twin cam corrolla and the 205
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Default shaking

Quote Originally Posted by renn_205
    had similar prob. was a top engine mount. both in a twin cam corrolla and the 205
    I had a shaking under hard acceleration on my 205. Checked the engine mounts and they were ok. It turned out to be the right rear swing arm bearing needed replacing as the rear right wheel was wobbling under acceleration.

So if it is not a gearbox/ engine mount, check there.

I had a similar issue with my 405 Mi16.

Drive shaft was bent, and the inner CV's were shot.

I replaced these and the car accelerates smooth again. Smooth like Jessica Alba's butt. :p

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

How the hell do you bend a driveshaft???
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Tadpole

Hey guys, I just got my S16 and i love it . Unfortunatelly when my dad decided to buy it he didn't notice the shaking under acceleration like you have been talking about here (I don't know how!!). Any way just wondering how much this is gonna cost to get an engine mount replaced?

Thread Information