205 gti lowering ?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 gti lowering ?

im about to re set a set of springs to lower the gti.
    whats the usual lowering ?
    is 50 ml too much,will it scrape on speed bumps etc or should i just go 30 mm.
    its NOT for racing and is my everyday car so i dont want a so low i cant go over speed humps type o thing.
    ta-BAZZ

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    im about to re set a set of springs to lower the gti.
    whats the usual lowering ?
    is 50 ml too much,will it scrape on speed bumps etc or should i just go 30 mm.
    its NOT for racing and is my everyday car so i dont want a so low i cant go over speed humps type o thing.
    ta-BAZZ
    go 40mm

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Second 40mm, I lowered mine 40mm and it sits just right
    05' Megane 225 Cup

thank you peter and pugsy,40 ml it is then-BAZZ

thank you peter and pugsy,40 ml it is then-BAZZ

cut em
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    cut em

pigzarze cut em
    .thats a big no no as far as im concerened.
    been told by the guys in the know to under no circumstances cut into a spring.
    evryone to his own opinion and all that but there is no way im cutting them down to size.
    -BAZZ

pigzarze cut em
    .thats a big no no as far as im concerened.
    been told by the guys in the know to under no circumstances cut into a spring.
    evryone to his own opinion and all that but there is no way im cutting them down to size.
    -BAZZ

thats what i would have thought... but i know a guy that just cut a coil out of his mi16 (only lowers about 20mm) an he recons it handles way better! another guy cut all 4 on his 505... not sure how it handles tho. if you would like to go the cut without the risk i have some spare springs... $50
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    thats what i would have thought... but i know a guy that just cut a coil out of his mi16 (only lowers about 20mm) an he recons it handles way better! another guy cut all 4 on his 505... not sure how it handles tho. if you would like to go the cut without the risk i have some spare springs... $50

thanks for the offer but i have a spare set that im getting reset for about $60.
    just remeber this about cutting springs.
    -its illegal for any suspension fitter to actually cut into a car coil spring. if you go to a place like pedders or any name suspension place,they will not do it.
    if something happens to the spring and you have a accident ,they are liable.
    some small time operators will do it and i have also heard of people with cut springs on their cars but i usually try to run with best standards practice with the gti and i dont think this is a bets standards senario.
    i suppose you could do it yourself with a decent angle grinder but i think the resetting is a better option.
    although some say not to reset springs as well so there you go i may not be living up to my so called best standards pratice.
    i think graham wallis was after some gti springs for his 205 si,pm him.-BAZZ

VIP Sponsor

thanks for the offer but i have a spare set that im getting reset for about $60.
    just remeber this about cutting springs.
    -its illegal for any suspension fitter to actually cut into a car coil spring. if you go to a place like pedders or any name suspension place,they will not do it.
    if something happens to the spring and you have a accident ,they are liable.
    some small time operators will do it and i have also heard of people with cut springs on their cars but i usually try to run with best standards practice with the gti and i dont think this is a bets standards senario.
    i suppose you could do it yourself with a decent angle grinder but i think the resetting is a better option.
    although some say not to reset springs as well so there you go i may not be living up to my so called best standards pratice.
    i think graham wallis was after some gti springs for his 205 si,pm him.-BAZZ
    That was a while ago, I have a complete GTi now!
    Graham

al

I'll take your springs amcc... That is if the thing ever goes again...

Actually, you are a pug mechanic aren't you? How would you like to do the reassembly mission on my gti??
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Thread Information