404 rear spring rates
  • Register
  • Help

Default 404 rear spring rates

Does anyone know what the difference is in rear spring rates between a standard 404 sedan and a 404 diesel sedan?
    Is there a difference in the number of coils or gauge of wire used? Part numbers are 5101.66 or .68 or .69 .or .70 .71 and .72 were for the cabriolets.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by BigH
    Does anyone know what the difference is in rear spring rates between a standard 404 sedan and a 404 diesel sedan?
    Is there a difference in the number of coils or gauge of wire used? Part numbers are 5101.66 or .68 or .69 .or .70 .71 and .72 were for the cabriolets.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    This is from a recent post:
    " By the way, you can calculate spring rates if you know coil thickness, coil diameter and active coils (number of coils that are free to move) by using the following formula:

spring rate in lbs/inch = 11500000 times the coil thickness in inches to the fourth power divided by the coil diameter in inches to the third power, divided by eight, divided by the number of active coils.

For example the front springs have 6.2 active coils, 13.25 mm thickness and 150 mm diameter. Using the formula we calculate 82 lbs/inch, which is really close to the measured 85 lbs/inch.

And for people like me who have been away from school for a long, long time, 2 to the third power is 2X2X2=8, two to the fourth power is 2X2X2X2=16. To go from millimeters to inches divide by 25.4."

While this may not answer your question, if you can get someone to measure the wire thickness, number of coils and coil diameter, you can calculate the rates. My guess is that the rear springs would be nearly the same or slightly uprated for the diesel. The front springs would be stiffer as the diesel engine probably weighs 25 to 50 kilos more than the petrol. BTW, I have heard that the rear springs from a Mercedes W115 fit. It may be worth looking into as this would offer a variety of options.

I would also look at the part numbers for the shocks to get somes clues, as shocks are typically matched to springs. If the part numbers are the same, then spring rates are really close.

I hope this helps.

Thanos
    Last edited by Thanos; 27th August 2005 at 04:33 PM.

Thread Information