Eurovox blues
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Eurovox blues

Tadpole

Default Eurovox blues

Hi, I am new to this forum and am looking for some good advice on my 2000 Xsara and its Eurovox 8790 stereo.

I lost use of the steering wheel controls after having the car jump-started. A month or so later I had the battery replaced but now have to enter the security code every time I want to turn the stereo on. Amazingly, use of the steering wheel controls was regained when the battery was replaced, but they still only work intermittently.

The memory settings are dead. So as well as entering the security code each time, I have to manually tune the radio. It will remember the settings if switched off for about a minute, but for no longer.

Advertisement

Eurovox tell me that they will have to dismantle the head unit to determine what the problem is, but even if they did this, it may be irreparable.

I donít want to lose the use of the steering wheel controls, but this appears unavoidable unless I replace the stereo with another Eurovox 8790, which is no longer manufactured. No other Eurovox product is compatible with my steering wheel controls.

Further, I would like to add a CD player to the system (even a $13K Korean special has one these days). Eurovox tell me a 1030 or 1050 stacker will connect to the head unit.

Should I:

 Have the head unit looked at to see if it can be fixed?
     If it can be fixed, try my luck on adding a stacker to it?
     Cut my losses, forget the steering wheel controls, and replace the Eurovox with an in-dash cd player?

I donít want doof doof speakers and Iím not interested in an MP3 player. I just want a simple stereo that works.

Any good ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Citxsara
    Hi, I am new to this forum and am looking for some good advice on my 2000 Xsara and its Eurovox 8790 stereo.

I lost use of the steering wheel controls after having the car jump-started. A month or so later I had the battery replaced but now have to enter the security code every time I want to turn the stereo on. Amazingly, use of the steering wheel controls was regained when the battery was replaced, but they still only work intermittently.

The memory settings are dead. So as well as entering the security code each time, I have to manually tune the radio. It will remember the settings if switched off for about a minute, but for no longer.

Eurovox tell me that they will have to dismantle the head unit to determine what the problem is, but even if they did this, it may be irreparable.

I donít want to lose the use of the steering wheel controls, but this appears unavoidable unless I replace the stereo with another Eurovox 8790, which is no longer manufactured. No other Eurovox product is compatible with my steering wheel controls.

Further, I would like to add a CD player to the system (even a $13K Korean special has one these days). Eurovox tell me a 1030 or 1050 stacker will connect to the head unit.

Should I:

 Have the head unit looked at to see if it can be fixed?
     If it can be fixed, try my luck on adding a stacker to it?
     Cut my losses, forget the steering wheel controls, and replace the Eurovox with an in-dash cd player?

I donít want doof doof speakers and Iím not interested in an MP3 player. I just want a simple stereo that works.

Any good ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Hey Phil

My advice is just buy a new head unit, they're cheap as and should give you a lot less trouble.

I replaced a faulty eurovox (not sure which model, but 8790 sounds familiar, I know it definately was stacker compatible) in my first 505 with a Phillips (now branded VDO/Dayton) Tape/Radio/Stacker package, and the wiring was very similar. This made it simple to use a multimeter to find the right wires and connect them up to the Phillips plug.

In other words, I recommend VDO Dayton as a first choice.

Good luck
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP