Wheel Spacers
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Wheel Spacers

Default Wheel Spacers

What do people think about using these?

I am considering using them on my Clio 182 Cup to run some wheels with a bigger offset (+48.5 vs +45). To get it back to stock I would need 3.5mm spacers but I could go wider to give me more track width.

Any wheel experts out there?

Advertisement
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

I assume you know it is illegal to put anything between the hub and the wheel mounting face for street use,unless it comes that way from the factory.Check out the RTA website for specifics regarding wheel replacement.Does the clio have a split brake system,If so no modifications to the track width are permitted.
    Jo

BiX

As jo said it is illegal to run wheels spaces, unless they were factory. (porsche had them on some cars). If you are able to transplant the suspension across i think most engineers will approve the spacers that came factory with that suspension. (so unless you have a VW that can take the porsche suspension, thats not going to occur). I do know a few cars that do have spacers fitted and approved, but they were normally done when the car was being fully rebuilt and also were part of a brake upgrade, and was fully engineered approved from the start, normally talking about classics.

I ran spacers but kept track to within 1mm of factory. Increasing track increases unsprung weight & bump steer (which are generally no good). Unless you have adjustable suspention you won't gain any real advantage as you need to combine track change with bound and rebound settings, pretention settings, caster and camber changes etc... Plus it could lead to uneven tyre wear over longer periods. If it doesn't have an ill affect, it will most certainly affect tyre scrub angle and deflection angle at the very least. Which could make the steering loaded at low to mid speed...
    The legalities are best checked with the RTA, but I'm sure you can get an engineer certificate if needed. - Chris

ps if i were you id save the money and find/search/import ultra lightweight race wheels. They would improve everything from straight line speed to conering and everything in between.
    ... ptui!

Great post Chris!
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

I am considering them for track use so the RTA stuff doesn't really matter.

If I went with 5mm spacers it would give me 1.5mm extra track each side so that would do bugger all to the handling I think.

The unsprung weight would increase but I think 5mm spacers wouldn't be that heavy overall.

I'm not sure though if the spacers keep the load on the hub centre (as per stock wheels) or force the load onto the wheel bolts. This bit worried me more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by ClioF1

If I went with 5mm spacers it would give me 1.5mm extra track each side so that would do bugger all to the handling I think.

The unsprung weight would increase but I think 5mm spacers wouldn't be that heavy overall.

I'm not sure though if the spacers keep the load on the hub centre (as per stock wheels) or force the load onto the wheel bolts. This bit worried me more than anything else.
    The legalities might not matter,but do you want to find out the hard way at 200KM/H ,why the RTA has issues with them.What is so special about these wheels thats makes you go to all this bother,rather than just using the correct size wheel???
    Jo

Yeah if you go too large a spacer that's what occurs unless get hubcentric ones which then sit inside the wheel centre. Also have to make sure you get longer wheel bolts as you don't want to have insufficient turn on the thread. Also if you increase track, you place extra stress on your wheel bearings.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

1000+ Posts

Anthony, dont worry about the spacers, you can get spinners as hub caps mate

A Clio doing 200k's an hour down the straight with spinners!!!
    the shizzle!

and the schnizzle!
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

True 1.5mm is minor; however the unsprung effect is at constant increase with speed, so you will suprised how little change in weight can have a big affect.
    As for weight on your bolts; the spacers needs to be able to hold the wheel in place with no bolts on and centered. Hence the need to take some of the weight of the bolts.
    My spacers were $300 a pair, because I asked for VERY specific dimensions which meant they had to be custom spun by a turner, and then he put his little commision ontop.
    So your concern about the load is very valid... try to sit the wheel on and see if will sit as good with the adaptor as much the OEM wheel. - Chris

ps if your still in doubt my is to not do it
    Last edited by CHRI'S16; 26th August 2005 at 10:13 AM.
    ... ptui!

The reason this was tempting me is the abundance of 172 wheels at rock bottom prices in the exact size I need for trackwork.

Yeah Chris I have always been leaning towards not getting them, but anyway at $300 a pair, thats $600 all up when I could just put that towards an imported set of track wheels for $1500. 4.5kg a corner...

thats $600 all up when I could just put that towards an imported set of track wheels for $1500. 4.5kg a corner...
    good man!!!... - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thanks for the replies guys...

Thread Information