Rocker cover leak '90 405Mi16
  • Register
  • Help

Icon9 Rocker cover leak '90 405Mi16

Hi there,

I've encountered i leak coming from the front bolts on the rocker cover and also coming from the gasket at the back. The leak isn't that major but if i go over a speed bump or reverse the car when warm i think some oil drops onto the exhaust and it bloody stinks . I've heard that the rocker cover can have a tendecy to warp and needs to be machined. Just wondering if anyone has some advice on the course of action needed to take to solve this and whether or not it might just be that the gasket needs replacing.

Also, my oil temperature gauge shows in between 100-130 degrees when starting up in the morning. Is this normal?

Advertisement

Cheers

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMi16
    Hi there,

I've encountered i leak coming from the front bolts on the rocker cover and also coming from the gasket at the back. The leak isn't that major but if i go over a speed bump or reverse the car when warm i think some oil drops onto the exhaust and it bloody stinks . I've heard that the rocker cover can have a tendecy to warp and needs to be machined. Just wondering if anyone has some advice on the course of action needed to take to solve this and whether or not it might just be that the gasket needs replacing.

Also, my oil temperature gauge shows in between 100-130 degrees when starting up in the morning. Is this normal?

Cheers

Alex
    Hi Alex,
    The cam cover gasket on my car only ever seems to leak from the back (and
    subsequently onto the manifold ). If it's leaking from the front either the gasket is totally stuffed or the cover is a bit warped. I guess just check it when you remove it. Is the front leak near the corner bolts? I usually put a bit of gasket seal in the corners because they have a tendancy to leak there too. Maybe this wasn't done last time or something.
    Anyway it's not that expensive to fix so if you have to do it once a year or something it's not too bad. Maybe check the torque on the bolts and make sure they're tight enough before pulling it all of
    That oil temp sounds a bit high. I know the guage actually acts as an electronic dipstick on start up. Mine doesn't work so I'm not sure where on the guage this should read.
    Last edited by JAG80; 23rd August 2005 at 07:41 PM.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

It's leaking from all four bolts at one rate or another. Haven't had the chance to check the torque loading on the bolts as my brother ran off with all the good tools when he moved interstate.

I'll have a careful look at the cover when i take it off. Hopefully its only a gasket.

Cheers

Alex

twm

It's leaking from all four bolts at one rate or another. Haven't had the chance to check the torque loading on the bolts as my brother ran off with all the good tools when he moved interstate.

I'll have a careful look at the cover when i take it off. Hopefully its only a gasket.

Cheers

Alex
    I was thinking of some fibre washeres under the bolt heads....

Terry
    Kurrajong

Pug 206 CC 2litre

That could certainly solve the problem, i'll give it a shot.

Thanks

Alex

al

My rocker gasket let go on an AF cruise and sprayed a fair bit of oil around... I didn't fix it myself, but was told that there are quite a few seals that need to be done when you replace the main gasket. Probably easiest just to take it to someone and get them all replaced...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by al
    My rocker gasket let go on an AF cruise and sprayed a fair bit of oil around... I didn't fix it myself, but was told that there are quite a few seals that need to be done when you replace the main gasket. Probably easiest just to take it to someone and get them all replaced...

Yeah there's seven...one for each spark plug and one under each of the three centre bolts. Should be able to get them from your Peugeot supplier. Just gotta be carefull when tightening the bolts cos the old ones can break quite easily...as I found out the first time I replaced this gasket All up I think the gasket and seals were about 40 bucks from Ken at Caravelle.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

1000+ Posts

Cheers

Alex
    No, it's not normal, but appears to be common. Just keep an eye on the coolant (water) temperature, which is usually OK despite the oil temp problem. Mine has this issue as well - it's all over the shop - and I think it's simply the connector on the level sender which corrupts the oil temperature level reading, but I'm yet to have a go at fixing it. I'll report back when I have.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

On the gauge matter, I think it's just a victim of French auto electrics. Check the wire connected to it as a lot of these wires are as brittle as egg shells due to heat. Any wire internally degraded and covered in flaking insulation will cause problems and as much as possible, I try to replace them and reroute them away from the heat source whenever I have an intermitent problem before I start looking elsewhere.
    Tappet cover leaks......ahh, yes, isn't it a little treasure!!
    I recently pulled one off an Mi16 that had been buried in blue silicone and given its due, it didn't leak. Having said that, I now have a garage floor almost covered in the stuff but he was lucky. I had the cover off my 16V engine a while back to get it powdercoated and it's leaked ever since. I painted the recess for where the gasket fits using a silicone gasket sealant as well as the tops of the round gaskets that surround the plug holes. There's several traps with this gasket. The plug hole seals need to be fairly tight so as to avoid filling the plug holes with oil. This can tend to cause the outer studs to have to take more of the stress/distortion and as there is an irrigation system in there, I can imagine a fair amount of oil gets blown around inside during normal operation which seems to find its way up the studs and causes this inherant problem. I was aware of this, so painted the silicone carefully around the holes where they fit on the head. I don't know that fibre washers will totally seal it off due to the ability of oil to not only creep out of some very fine spaces but also its ability to at the same time saturate, cause the fibre to soften and thereby leak again. Next try I have, I intended trying neat fitting "O" rings that would squash down the neck of the bolt hole and I think will seal it totally.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

What do you know - Alan, 'we' were right (above). My oil temperature gauge was showing intermittent high readings up to almost the limit of the gauge, but when I bought the car it was fine - until I played around with the wiring of both the temperature sender AND the level sender when repairing the driveshafts. So when I found that the fault existed immediately after the shaft repair, I knew it must've been the fiddling I'd done with the wires.

I got the car on stands today. The wires to both senders was brittle, however, the two wires to the level sender were the worst. The insulation was rock hard and as a result had fallen off in spots, and the copper was shorting intermittently. The copper is in pretty bad nick, too. The rubber boot over the sender was so hard I crushed it into pieces to remove it - same with the tubing around the wires. And, as a result of the boot being there, I reckon it's held water or condensation etc. and the connectors inside the plug to the level sender were covered in typical green copper corrosion.

The wires need replacement when I have more time. However, in the meantime I whacked some heatshrink over each wire (didn't bother shrinking it - the exhaust will do that) took the connectors out of their brittle plastic holder, cleaned them with contact cleaner and a brass wire brush (including the ones on the sender) and replaced them.

The level and temperature displays spot on now.

So, as suspected, the oil level sender wires also affect the temperature reading.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information