The valve stem seal trap.
  • Register
  • Help

Default The valve stem seal trap.

Have an Mi16 apart at present that I'm trying to find enough time to finish off but discovered today a nice little trap that I thought I'd better pass on.
    I had asked previously about the similarity between the 8 and 16V versions of these engines as regards the compatability of the valve stem seals.
    Yesterday, we found the new ones I knew we had and did a detailed comparison; what a trap!!
    I've been looking at diameters and various other things as being potentially the problem but I have discovered it is in the actual shape of the metal part that sits against the head. The genuine ones have a collar that is obviously designed in such a way as to be able to be forced into poition; in other words, the first section is about 1.5 - 2 mm smaller in diameter to the bottom section, so that when you push them on, the will be a force fit and need to be driven home to be sure they are held tightly into position.
    The others, which I suspect were 8 valve variety because they look identical apart from the "swollen" area just kind of "T" out at the top almost as though a plate of some description holds them into place.
    So the word to the wise is, be 100% sure you have the correct nes before you start reassembling the engine or you'll turn what are supposed to be "seals" into what is effectively a "pump" capable of emptyting a crankcase of 5 litres of oil in 400 klms.
    If I can get a good enough pic afterwards, I'll post it so the difference can be seen.

Alan S

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The valve stem seal trap.-dsc00780.jpg  
    Last edited by Alan S; 23rd August 2005 at 04:18 PM.
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Ref: the pic I've added to the post above.

The left hand one is the Mi16/BX16V seal and the taper in the base can be seen.
    The other has what appears as a flat collar and this is the one that will comeadrift and act like a hydraulic pump thereby literally pumping oil down the valve stem and put a hydraulic pressure on the valve stem and pump it down the valve guide.
    They sit in that picture base to base.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information