205 mi16... one day
  • Register
  • Help

Icon10 205 mi16... one day

i have taken the plunge and purchased a totalled mi16. want to know what will fit in the 205...

i want to take all the wiring that i can so as to make it a more strait forward job. dont want to have to do too much hacking and gouging...

so, so far i am using the engine, gearbox and most of the electrix.

does the radiator fit? it is a lot bigger and better than a 205 radiator. it is also only a year old... any one know what i would have to do to make it fit?

dont have a clue about whether this is possible or not. but is there any chance of the 405 sub frame going in the 205? dont know by how much but front track is wider on a 405 so therefor it would give a bit of neg camber to the 205... any one heard of this being done?

wheels, heard they need spacers, how expensive/hard to come by are these?

how about dash board? will prob use a 205 si dash as i dont tike the rattly S1 dashes and the 205 it goes in will prob be an 87, got 2 of them...

Advertisement

rear torsion bar / trailing arms? would be good to take advantage of the disc brake rear end.

keep the comments and ideas coming
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

From the 405 you need:
    - engine
    - gearbox
    - manifolds, AFM etc
    - ECU
    - engine harness + black and brown connectors (inc. 150mm of wire) from body harness

Nothing else is really of any use. I'd personally prefer the closer ratios of the 205 gearbox, but that's up to you. I even use the 205 exhaust down pipe.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

205 trannies have a closer ratio?

how closer? is it noticable?

Dont bother with the 405 rear disc brakes. The actual caliper is wider so if they are positioned in the standard location they will end up hitting the body over any large bumps. Best cheap option is to purchase 306 rear end.

Personally I would not play around with the front end geometry too much, if you want negative camber get an adjustable kit machined up or just get the struts set in negative camber by an older style wheel alignment mob. Newer people wont touch it unless its factory adjustable.

309 front wishbones will give approx. 1.5 deg neg. camber. You should also retain the 405 drivehafts even though they're too long. You can always reuse the CV joints to rebuild late model 205 shafts.

Here's a spreadsheet on gearing:
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/tayl...405gearing.htm

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

guys

what about the wheels? i plan on a brake upgrade one day and they probly wontfit in my wheels. how hard is it to make the mi16 wheels fit?

peter, have any of your 205 mi16's got power steering? in your opinionis power steering required? i have heard that they can be a bit of a dog to drive with the extra weight and power...

One has, one hasn't. I certainly wouldn't make it a priority and I'm considering removing it from the race car.

I'd stay clear of Mi16 wheels unless you are comfortable running spacers. The 15" Speedlines are definitely the best looking wheel, but if you're considering racing there are better alternatives.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I reckon 205s look great with 306 S16 15" wheels. Someone on these forums has them and they're awesome. You can get them pretty cheap second hand.
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    guys

what about the wheels? i plan on a brake upgrade one day and they probly wontfit in my wheels. how hard is it to make the mi16 wheels fit?
    Mi16 wheels bolt straight on to a 205 GTi.

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    peter, have any of your 205 mi16's got power steering? in your opinionis power steering required? i have heard that they can be a bit of a dog to drive with the extra weight and power...
    The weight difference in to two engines is not dramatic. For simplicity I personally would not put the power steer in.

Thread Information