Megasquirt on a ZDJL: HELP!!
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Megasquirt on a ZDJL: HELP!!

Based on all the positive feedback, I have decided to put the Megasquirt system in my ZDJL engined 505 STI. Being completely out of my depth here (I can only drive them and some would argue that, too) I contacted one of the suppliers in the US asking for a system as close to plug and play as possible. This was their (immediate) response:

"Unfortunately MegaSquirt is not really anything close to a plug and play. The reason our kit includes a relay box is to reduce the number of potential wiring problems. Our version includes the ECU,Relay box,ECU to Relay Box cable,MAT & CLT sensors with 3' long connectors.
    You would still need to connect the appropriate wires from your Injectors,TPS, Fuel Pump and O2 sensor as well as tune the ECU for your specific application.
    As for the price,it is $524.95 which includes shipping and handling in the USA. We normally ship within 24 hours after credit card approval."

Is this within the abiliities of any shop mechanic? Will I need any additional parts, other than what they provide? Graham, you mentioned you have upgraded a ZDJL with Megasquirt; will I be able to do it with the parts they are providing?

Thanks for all the help.

Thanos

Advertisement

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    Will I need any additional parts, other than what they provide?
    It depends on how old your 505 STI is. If it only has mechanic fuel injection, you will need some electronic fuel injectors and a fuel rail. The easiest way to do this is to just buy a 505 GTI inlet manifold, fuel rail, injectors, pressure regulator, and wiring for the injectors, from a wrecker (scrap yard.) There are other options but they all involve custom machining to some degree - this will just bolt on.

(To tell if you have mechanical fuel injection, look at where the injectors plumb into the inlet manifold. If there's a rail across the top of all four injectors, you have EFI (good!) If each injector has its own hose to a central thingy, then you have mechanical injection (needs to be upgraded.))

Once you have the electronic fuel injectors in there, you should be able to do it with just a lot of wiring, a small bit of machining (you need to make a hole to mount the oxygen sensor in the exhaust) and a lot of patience (I've swapped the EFI from a 505GTI onto a ZDJL motor with mechanical injection, this is simpler than the Megasquirt although I'd like to try that too, some day.)

Is this within the abiliities of any shop mechanic?
    Well, when I did the GTI-swap I mentioned above, I showed my local Pug mechanic (40-odd years experience) and he said it was at the limits of his ability (cos of the electronics.) A Megasquirt would be harder, but not necessarily impossible. You'd need to find a good mechanic who knows EFI, and probably have reasonably deep pockets, though.

Good luck with it all.

PS If you have some mechanical aptitude and are keen to learn, it isn't impossible that you could learn to do it yourself...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Go for it !!! If I had the $$$ and time I'd be converting my DS21 ie from Bosch Djet --> Megasquirt.

I would NOT perform this change on your only car... You could be off the road for an extended period of time while you get it all working.

I suggest finding a parts car if this is the case, and getting it all setup and working on the parts car, then spent 1/2day and move it all across to your daily car once it's running/working reliably.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you for your suggestions
    [QUOTE=Gus]It depends on how old your 505 STI is. If it only has mechanic fuel injection, you will need some electronic fuel injectors and a fuel rail.

I thought all ZDJL's had the L-Jetronic EFI, but perhaps I was wrong. Anyway, mine does so one hurdle is already out of the way.

[QUOTE=Gus](I've swapped the EFI from a 505GTI onto a ZDJL motor with mechanical injection, this is simpler than the Megasquirt although I'd like to try that too, some day.)

This is something to keep in mind for my XN2 504 coupe, especially as I am ready to take an Uzi to the Kugelfischer pump. Is this conversion feasible? (I do not know what type of motor is used for the GTI)

[QUOTE=Gus]Good luck with it all.

Thank you
    Last edited by Thanos; 19th August 2005 at 05:10 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Go for it !!! If I had the $$$ and time I'd be converting my DS21 ie from Bosch Djet --> Megasquirt.

I would NOT perform this change on your only car... You could be off the road for an extended period of time while you get it all working.

I suggest finding a parts car if this is the case, and getting it all setup and working on the parts car, then spent 1/2day and move it all across to your daily car once it's running/working reliably.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Thanks for the suggestion Shane. I have two more Peugeots (a 106 and a 504) so I can take my time with this conversion and avoid the parts car route.

You got the DS21, what a beautiful car!!! I'd love one of those; it is on my three-most-wanted list (in black) along with a 404 hot rod and a 205 GTI rally car.

Thanos
    Last edited by Thanos; 19th August 2005 at 05:08 PM.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    It depends on how old your 505 STI is. If it only has mechanic fuel injection, you will need some electronic fuel injectors and a fuel rail. The easiest way to do this is to just buy a 505 GTI inlet manifold, fuel rail, injectors, pressure regulator, and wiring for the injectors, from a wrecker (scrap yard.) There are other options but they all involve custom machining to some degree - this will just bolt on.

(To tell if you have mechanical fuel injection, look at where the injectors plumb into the inlet manifold. If there's a rail across the top of all four injectors, you have EFI (good!) If each injector has its own hose to a central thingy, then you have mechanical injection (needs to be upgraded.))

Once you have the electronic fuel injectors in there, you should be able to do it with just a lot of wiring, a small bit of machining (you need to make a hole to mount the oxygen sensor in the exhaust) and a lot of patience (I've swapped the EFI from a 505GTI onto a ZDJL motor with mechanical injection, this is simpler than the Megasquirt although I'd like to try that too, some day.)

Well, when I did the GTI-swap I mentioned above, I showed my local Pug mechanic (40-odd years experience) and he said it was at the limits of his ability (cos of the electronics.) A Megasquirt would be harder, but not necessarily impossible. You'd need to find a good mechanic who knows EFI, and probably have reasonably deep pockets, though.

Good luck with it all.

PS If you have some mechanical aptitude and are keen to learn, it isn't impossible that you could learn to do it yourself...
    I bought the Megasquirt in kit form and it only cost $140 US plus postage.
    I don't know anything about relay boxes etc.
    If you know someone who has electronic Knowledge and can assemble it for you get it in kit form.
    It has a ZDJL so it is electronic (the mechanical version is termed ZDJK) and you can leave the fuel system as is. What you are doing with the Megasquirt is removing the Air Flow Meter, substituting it with a MAP sensor and replacing the old analogue ECU with a programmable digital one. You are also adding an oxygen sensor which be used to tune the car as well as provide closed loop mixture control.
    So, as well as assembling the ECU you will need to mount and wire up a couple more sensors.

Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I bought the Megasquirt in kit form and it only cost $140 US plus postage.
    I don't know anything about relay boxes etc.
    If you know someone who has electronic Knowledge and can assemble it for you get it in kit form.
    It has a ZDJL so it is electronic (the mechanical version is termed ZDJK) and you can leave the fuel system as is. What you are doing with the Megasquirt is removing the Air Flow Meter, substituting it with a MAP sensor and replacing the old analogue ECU with a programmable digital one. You are also adding an oxygen sensor which be used to tune the car as well as provide closed loop mixture control.
    So, as well as assembling the ECU you will need to mount and wire up a couple more sensors.

Graham
    Thank you, Graham. Is there a specific oxygen sensor I should be using?
    What about a fuel pressure regulator? Does my system have one already and if so, should I uprate it?

While I am on the fuel pressure regulator subject, should I add one to my XN2? I have a spare 2.4 bar one from my 106.

Thanos

VIP Sponsor

Thank you, Graham. Is there a specific oxygen sensor I should be using?
    What about a fuel pressure regulator? Does my system have one already and if so, should I uprate it?

While I am on the fuel pressure regulator subject, should I add one to my XN2? I have a spare 2.4 bar one from my 106.

Thanos
    Any normal 4 or 3 wire (preheated) sensor will be OK.
    Just use the existing regulator, you will program the ECU to match the existing fuel pressure so it isn't critical.
    The XN2 runs on a different pressure to electronic systems and it's regulator is part of the fuel pump, back near the fuel tank.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Any normal 4 or 3 wire (preheated) sensor will be OK.
    Just use the existing regulator, you will program the ECU to match the existing fuel pressure so it isn't critical.
    The XN2 runs on a different pressure to electronic systems and it's regulator is part of the fuel pump, back near the fuel tank.
    Graham
    As always, precise and informative. Many thanks.

Thread Information