Dodgy fuel pump ?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Dodgy fuel pump ?

Hi,

Just recently my car has had alot of trouble starting my '81 505, not just of a cold morning but at any time of the day. And also, when I try to accelerate the car starts to jerk and doesent really want to go anywhere!

I have replaced the condensor, adjusted point gap, done the timing, carby has been dismantled and had a thourough clean out. I havent checked the spark plugs as I have lost my plug spanner! (Anyone know where I can get a new one to suit this car ?)

Advertisement

I have had similar trouble before and I replaced the fuel pump with another secondhand one and it has been going good for about a year now.

Any suggestions to help me out would be great!

Glen
    1981 505GR sedan - Work in Progress

It colud be any number of things.
    You seem to have sussed a few of the obvious things.
    Check for air leaks in the inlet side, (manifolds, crank case breather, any crap anti-pollution devices and egr valve if it has one).

If it was a fuel pump then the poor car would surge when the foot was put down but run out of puff after a few seconds, (lean out).

Other things to check, (apart from what you have suggested i.e. plugs), leads, (can break down under load). Partial failure of the coil, (be warned about putting a second hand coil in to check if it is that, as it could have the same problem, (got caught out once there)). Air leak around butterflies, (can O black and gold hair spray). Spray around carby and if revs climb then you have found the leak. If it is a gasket then the spray will seal it up for a while. Failing all else it gives it a shiny coat. Carby needle and seat/float level.

Exorsism
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Default Dodgey fuel pump?

Quote Originally Posted by PuGmAn
    Hi,

Just recently my car has had alot of trouble starting my '81 505, not just of a cold morning but at any time of the day. And also, when I try to accelerate the car starts to jerk and doesent really want to go anywhere!

I have replaced the condensor, adjusted point gap, done the timing, carby has been dismantled and had a thourough clean out. I havent checked the spark plugs as I have lost my plug spanner! (Anyone know where I can get a new one to suit this car ?)

I have had similar trouble before and I replaced the fuel pump with another secondhand one and it has been going good for about a year now.

Any suggestions to help me out would be great!

Glen
    Glen,
    Usually when a car "jerks" or snatches under acceleration it would point to plug problems. In your case get hold of a plug spanner, Peugeot have been using the same type going back to the 203! Try a wrecker.*
    Fuel pumps on Peugeots are trouble free, sometimes leaking oil from the pivot but that's all.

*Hang on! I can hear the sounds of an "Aussiefrog" parceling up a spanner to send you.

A solution ($12 actually).
    Toss in a can of tune, RedX or nulon fuel/carby/combustion cleaner and see if that makes a difference. It cant do any harm.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Well, I tried replacing the coil with a brand new one and unfortunately that made no difference at all, now i'm stuck with a new $38 coil I dont need because repco wont take it back!

Anyway, not to worry.

I checked for any leaks, and I actually found a little pin sized hole in the fuel inlet pipe. So I eradicated that, but it's still no better.

And I couldnt find any anti-pollution devices either. And theres no leaks around the butterflies.

I did give the carby another clean out and found there was heaps of crap floating around in there again. Probably because I have been running with the fuel tank very low in fuel due to lack of $$$

Could it possibly be the distributer cap ? or the rotor ? fuel filter ?

Maybe there is damage to valves from running unleaded petrol ? My brothers Honda Prelude happened to die from a case of burnt out valves

Cheers,

Glen
    1981 505GR sedan - Work in Progress

Well, I tried replacing the coil with a brand new one and unfortunately that made no difference at all, now i'm stuck with a new $38 coil I dont need because repco wont take it back!

Anyway, not to worry.

I checked for any leaks, and I actually found a little pin sized hole in the fuel inlet pipe. So I eradicated that, but it's still no better.

And I couldnt find any anti-pollution devices either. And theres no leaks around the butterflies.

I did give the carby another clean out and found there was heaps of crap floating around in there again. Probably because I have been running with the fuel tank very low in fuel due to lack of $$$

Maybe there is damage to valves from running unleaded petrol ? My brothers Honda Prelude happened to die from a case of burnt out valves

Cheers,

Glen
    mine used to do that and it had me boggled......

soon found out that the spark leads had no rubber sleeve over the end that goes on the plug, and it was arcing out across to the head........it was running, but rough and hesitating.......replaced with old rubber sleeves i had in the shed and it was good as gold.....

just a thought....

have you checked the bolts around the carby base? The nuts that hold the carby can appear tight,but the bolts can still be loose, because the nuts that hold the studs in are recessed into the manifold underneath the carby base
    regards Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

VIP Sponsor

Anyway, not to worry.

Cheers,

Glen

It is possibly the EGR valve leaking air into the inlet manifold.
    I once found this with a car that had been fitted with a new carby and distributor and had a full engine rebuild by a well known Peugeot dealer in an attempt to cure the problem.
    !0 minutes and some CRC to unstick the valve and the problem was fixed!
    If the car has the digital clock it should be OK with ULP, the early Renault Australia assembled cars possibly didn't have the hardened seats of the later cars.
    Graham

Thread Information