Blocked radiator drain
  • Register
  • Help
    al

Default Blocked radiator drain

Just went to flush the cooling system in the 205 and noticed that nothing wants to come out the drain apart from a small amount of brown muck... (I've got the expantion cap off)

What is the best way to unblock this? Is there a trick?

Advertisement
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

My GT was like this. We managed to unblock it with some flexible wire by poking back up the pipe. Also try taking the whole pipe off.

Dave

al

Got it... Now i look like i have tried to unblock a toilet with my hand...
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Got it... Now i look like i have tried to unblock a toilet with my hand...
    Nice one

I'll have a drink for ya tonight!!!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Just went to flush the cooling system in the 205 and noticed that nothing wants to come out the drain apart from a small amount of brown muck... (I've got the expantion cap off)

What is the best way to unblock this? Is there a trick?
    Could it be that this blocked radiator be the cause of your blown head gasket!?! Shows you how important a good flowing radiator is. The original radiator in my Mi16 was the same...one inch of brown sludge at the bottom and 75% blocked. Luckily I replaced it before anything major happened.
    Good luck with car...sounds like a good project
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Make sure you take the radiator out and flush it really well in both directions. Maybe best to get it checked out by a radiator place just incase. Wouldn't want to cook another engine.

Dave

If you are privaliged to play the trumpet, or its poor cousin, the trombone, you would be awear of the Trumpet snake.sounds like an English euphamism,but is what can best be described as a nylon brush on the end of a bicycle brake cable, which is flexable enough to get around the bends in a trumpet without too much trouble.They can be bought at most music shops for around $20, and are great for poking around water galleries and flexable hoses.If you do get one, make sure it looks like quality, as there are some shit ones on the market with just a piece of plastic hose,not the plastic coated steel cable, which will undoubtably snap off in the worst posible place.Shame to admit it,but mine lives in the garage now, not the trumpet case.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    If you are privaliged to play the trumpet, or its poor cousin, the trombone, you would be awear of the Trumpet snake.sounds like an English euphamism,but is what can best be described as a nylon brush on the end of a bicycle brake cable, which is flexable enough to get around the bends in a trumpet without too much trouble.They can be bought at most music shops for around $20, and are great for poking around water galleries and flexable hoses.If you do get one, make sure it looks like quality, as there are some shit ones on the market with just a piece of plastic hose,not the plastic coated steel cable, which will undoubtably snap off in the worst posible place.Shame to admit it,but mine lives in the garage now, not the trumpet case.
    Jo
    what the trumbone is the poor cousin of the trumpet.tell FRED WESLEY that![james brown,p.funk.bootsys rubber band,horny horns.]- hahahahaha -BAZZZ

It sounds like the whole system needs a good scour out.
    It is well worth having the tanks off the radiator and the core scrubbed or if $$$$ available, replaced.
    Sediment in the water jacket is a killer. A flexible small diameter high pressure hose and pump, shoved up all accessible channels of the block, check for calcification, blow dry.
    Watch out, some chemical cleaners you might use will turn alloy into cheese, (just not as tasty).

Oily residue, needs detergent flush first.
    Then mechanical flushing of lumps/grit.
    Then chemical flush to remove stalactites/mites.
    Repeat mechanical flush.

If you would not drink the water coming out of it, then it is not clean enough.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

al

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma
    If you would not drink the water coming out of it, then it is not clean enough.
    You would need a fork to eat what came out the other day...
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    what the trumbone is the poor cousin of the trumpet.tell FRED WESLEY that![james brown,p.funk.bootsys rubber band,horny horns.]- hahahahaha -BAZZZ
    Shit.You have armed your point with posibly one of My favorite ten horn players.Truth is I love the bone, I just love taking the piss, like a trumpet player should.Was wondering how long the reaction time would be.
    Cheers,Jo

Thread Information