205 power steering noise
  • Register
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default 205 power steering noise

I have got the GTI going again after the blown headgasket and it is performing well with the Megasquirt system now dyno tuned.
    Time now to get the thing steering properly.
    I have fitted Power Steering from an Si and it is a lot more controllable in motorsport now, but not as good as it could be.
    The steering is lighter than my Si and nowhere near as precise.
    Main noticeable thing is that the fluid is getting aerated and the pump makes a hell of a racket when under load (ie steering wheel turned)
    A P-S expert told me that air is getting into the system but I'm damned if I can see where.
    As the P-S was out of a wreck (no damage to pump or ram etc) I didn't realise that there was a 2 meter long loop in the return line, to the gearshift and back!
    Could this be for reducing cavitation?
    Also the fluid looks very light in viscosity and I will try changing it.
    Any other ideas?
    Graham

Advertisement

dextron 3 is the go for fluid. no idea about the airrating prob tho. onlt leaks in ps i have incounted have been on 306's the have been the hoses from thr resovour and one of the fitting on a metal line came loose on my dads car. other wise if u can be assed swop pumps and c if thats your prob... is the long line a left over from LH drive? just a thought.

have to check out this megasquirt... a guy at work is thinking about it for his gem. and i recon it could be an option for me one day. at the mo i have dreams of either geting my 87 with s3 first on road and then super charged or possibly turboed, with a top mount and scoup?... or i might just dump an mi donk in. but imagine a turbos mi with top moune dang it would be nice to male my own 205-T-16

good luch with the ps.
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

Hi Graham,

firstly, congrats on cleaning up at the GCC autocross at Morwell!
    Our Commodore at work had the same symptoms. I stopped at a servo and checked the PS oil level which was slightly down from the mark but still within the reservoir. I topped it up to near the max mark and it was instantly cured. I don't know why. Maybe the oil level only appeared so high because of air in the system that only needed another 60 seconds of engine running to bleed out to the reservoir (I idled a bit to check the auto trans level while I was there).
    In my 205GTI I don't have any loop going back to the gearshift.

Rick Dathan,
    Red S3 205GTI

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Hi Graham,

firstly, congrats on cleaning up at the GCC autocross at Morwell!
    Our Commodore at work had the same symptoms. I stopped at a servo and checked the PS oil level which was slightly down from the mark but still within the reservoir. I topped it up to near the max mark and it was instantly cured. I don't know why. Maybe the oil level only appeared so high because of air in the system that only needed another 60 seconds of engine running to bleed out to the reservoir (I idled a bit to check the auto trans level while I was there).
    In my 205GTI I don't have any loop going back to the gearshift.

Rick Dathan,
    Red S3 205GTI
    Thanks Rick, that seems to have done the trick!
    I think what was happening was that the fluid was splashing as it ran into the reservoir causing the pump to suck air. Filling it right up to the top seems to got around the problem.
    205 dominance continued in the Group 5 motorkhana at Moorabbin Airport yesterday. It looks like Phil Torode won outright in his Si with my Si somewhere in the top few.
    I am looking at running the Gti (now with rally tyres) at the VCAS autocross at Kyneton next month.
    Graham

Thread Information