New HT and Coil Lead
  • Register
  • Help

Default New HT and Coil Lead

on the times that my r10 seems to fail starting first thing in the morning, it's seems as all i have to do, is pull out the HT leads, and give them a bit of a tighten, and remove and replace the coil lead, and then it starts.

here is a pic of the coil lead ::

the good end is where it goes into the dizzy cap, and the awful end is where it goes into the coil.
    **it's a bad pic, but the coil end is rusted and frayed in parts.

yes it needs replacing, so where can i get these leads? should i goto the likes of my mechanic of Caravelle?, or are they simply a matter of going to an auto place that sells them? like supercheap or auto-1?

and my manual doesn't specify the size, so does any1 know?

any help is thankful for

Advertisement

You might try shortening that lead by an inch and refitting a better quality metal contact from any old lead. My 403's ran original leads for 40 years.

Problem being distributor leads are a throw away item these days any ignition problem and you average mechanic will throw out your plugs, points and leads ($40+) as a matter of course.

Save money stay original.

ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    You might try shortening that lead by an inch and refitting a better quality metal contact from any old lead. My 403's ran original leads for 40 years.
    ed ge
    where can i get these metal contacts from? as i don't have any old leads lying around.

1000+ Posts

Default Clean it up first.

ADZR10

I'd clean the rusty terminal and the internal part of the coil, you can use steelwool or sandpaper carefully on both, then see how it goes.

For myself I would then hunt around to try and find a good brass replacement crimped on end and make sure it crimps through to the centre wire (some have a hole in the end to resin core solder the wire making a good electrical connection)

I would then further clean the mating surfaces, spray some electrical contact lubricant on both, wipe off the excess and put the new connector back in the coil, a wipe of silastic will ensure that water wont get in and corrode under the old rubber cap if you can't get a new one.

Ask around true Auto electricians they should be able to supply you with the brass or a brassed replacement crimp for the lead, or at least find a s/hand one for you.

Regards Ken

If you venture down to the northern beaches in sydney,I've got a few sets of old bugichord(SP)leads wich you are welcome to butcher.I just got a new set from auto paris in Artarmon.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    If you venture down to the northern beaches in sydney,I've got a few sets of old bugichord(SP)leads wich you are welcome to butcher.I just got a new set from auto paris in Artarmon.
    Jo
    thanx for the offer jo, but i doubt i'd travel the 2hours jus for them.

and Ken i'll give that a try, thanx

Thread Information