Valve stem seals?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Valve stem seals?

Can anyone tell me if the valve stem seals on a 16V engine are the same as those on the 1.9 8 valve engine?
    I'm referring to the BX16V vs BX 8 valve or an Mi16 vs normal 405 and if there's a difference, what is it?

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I think Owen Wuillemin or Peter T would know the answer to that...

They look identical. I've always assumed they're the same.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    They look identical. I've always assumed they're the same.

The comparison we've made between the ones in this engine and the ones out of the other is that this one had seals that the rubber(?) was green in whereas the others were black. The metal section on the green ones seems to be about 10 - 20 thou smaller in diameter than the black and the rubber section on the green ones seems to be only 75% the height of the black ones.
    I just wonder whether it's a difference in model or just a different manufacturer. I suspect it may have been a case of trying to cut corners by replacing the intake side and not the exhaust (that's just an assumption based on no facts) and deciding to save a few pence to buy an 8 valve set instead of a 16 or more likely out here, a slack parts guy simply selling one type of seal or only having one available or a company selling general parts that don't know two types of engines exist?

Do they use the same valves? In other words are they the same part number but 16 of them instead of 8 or are they a completely different part number?

Alan S

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    The comparison we've made between the ones in this engine and the ones out of the other is that this one had seals that the rubber(?) was green in whereas the others were black. The metal section on the green ones seems to be about 10 - 20 thou smaller in diameter than the black and the rubber section on the green ones seems to be only 75% the height of the black ones.
    I just wonder whether it's a difference in model or just a different manufacturer. I suspect it may have been a case of trying to cut corners by replacing the intake side and not the exhaust (that's just an assumption based on no facts) and deciding to save a few pence to buy an 8 valve set instead of a 16 or more likely out here, a slack parts guy simply selling one type of seal or only having one available or a company selling general parts that don't know two types of engines exist?

Do they use the same valves? In other words are they the same part number but 16 of them instead of 8 or are they a completely different part number?

Alan S

The valves are smaller on the 16 valve so no not the same.
    Actually as I was surpised at how small the valves were on the 8 valver, a limit to what you can fit into an 83mm combustion chamber, I guess.
    Anyything happened since I sent the Ampol info Alan?
    Graham

Not much; had a few dramas happening around the home front but the next 10 days should see them off the agenda and I'll get everything finalised and report back then.

Alan S

1000+ Posts

Alan, I don't know if this is relevant, but I was told by a guy at a large seal supplier that coloured 'rubber' usually indicated a high temperature seal. This was when I bought a generic black seal to replace an orange crank seal on the R12. I know this is nothing to do with your original question...

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I only ever use the green ones (on both 8V and 16V) and take great care when installing them. I use 7mm and 8mm drill blanks, fitted into a mandrel, to ensure the seal locates properly over the guide.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information