Missing earths on an Mi16
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Missing earths on an Mi16

I'm presently doing a couple of jobs on a series one Mi16 for someone and in the process of pulling the injectors and plenum off, I notice the earth wires that are so important on a BX16V just aren't there.
    These are the ones that are held in position by the two 10mm bolts that hold the fuel rail in position.
    With a BX, if these are mistakenly forgotten when reassembling, the car just won't go; what's the story with the Mi16? Same everything apart from this? Are they mounted elsewhere and if not, should I fit a couple?
    Also found an "interesting" take on a problem here too; I noticed tape and sealant around the TPS. Asked #1 son for his thoughts on it; shrug of the shoulders said it all As I got further into the job, as I went to disconnect pipes and things to remove the plenum, I find a hose that supplies coolant to the intake region was split; it sits directly above the TPS, so to cure a problem that someone obviously had with water getting on the TPS, they sealed the TPS and wrapped it in duct tape.....at least that's a new take on a problem; if the switch shorts out, don't find and fix the leak, just seal the switch to stop it from shorting... How much an hour do some of these characters charge??

Alan S

Advertisement
    Last edited by Alan S; 24th July 2005 at 07:47 PM. Reason: More missing letters than a burnt out post office
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Alan, FWIW I've never noticed earths around my fuel rail. Mind you, I haven't taken the rail and plenum off yet, but the mounting bolts don't hold any earth wires.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

The major earth for the engine harness is on the gearbox (under the battery tray). As long as this is good condition it won't need any more.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Geez, how strange is this? On the BX16V I have had people forget to connect these earths and the car either wouldn't start or if it did, it ran shocking.
    I'll go look tommorrow and see if I can find where these earths come from on the BX. It's always had me stuffed why the BX had to have these earths and I can only assume it was because they had something on the rail that was insulated and hence wasn't making a circuit.
    I'll report back once I find out. In the meantime, can any other 16V owner check to see if they have the two small wires connected to the two 10mm bolts that hold the fuel rail to the head please?

Alan S

Re Earths on an Mi16: What is the function of the two earths either side of the radiator behind the grille, tucked in really low. Mine are not attached to anything structural and last time we worked on the car we put an extra earth wire in. Any ideas? Greg

I'm only guessing, but this may be one clue.

*General - Coolant, corrosion and overheating (Alan S)

Alan S

Gee Thanks Alan, now youve got me really scared. I'll take the added wire off pronto and go through your checks. And I thought Electrolysis just removed hair! Thanks for the advice- Greg

Thread Information