205 SI tyres
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 SI tyres

Default 205 SI tyres

Tyre Size...

Does it make any difference ( or matter) if I put 175/70R/13 tyres on my 205 SI? It presently has 165/70R/13 on the front and 175/70R/13s on the rear. However I noticed on the plate on the door it only mentions 165/70R/13s..

I know the 175 is 10mm wider overall, but is there any other difference or are there any safety repercussions?

Advertisement

Thanks
    Geopug

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Geopug
    Tyre Size...

Does it make any difference ( or matter) if I put 175/70R/13 tyres on my 205 SI? It presently has 165/70R/13 on the front and 175/70R/13s on the rear. However I noticed on the plate on the door it only mentions 165/70R/13s..

I know the 175 is 10mm wider overall, but is there any other difference or are there any safety repercussions?

Thanks
    Geopug
    Geo,

The effect of using this tyre is to increase the rolling diameter of the tyre by a small amount. If you compare the two sizes on line at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html you will see that the diameter is increased from 561.2 mm to 575.2 mm causing the speedo to indicate 2.5% slow, i.e., if these tyres are fitted to the front wheels which measure the road speed.

So if you are content with this [additional] error [how accurate is your speedo anyway?], you could put this size of tyre on your car.

The RTA have various rules about what can and cannot be done with changing wheels / tyres and/or mixing tyres but this small change is well within their regulations.

You may care to consider getting a set of 14" 205GTI series 1 mag wheels (pepperpots) for your 205 SI and installing a set of low profile tyres on them. I have done this for a 205 SI in the family and fitted 185/55/R14 Yokahama tyres. These tyres are a silicon based product and have the same rolling diameter as the 13" rims (less than 1% difference), so speedo and gearing remain the same. The ride and handling from the new tyres is much improved.

cheers

Denis
    Last edited by Denis; 22nd July 2005 at 12:50 PM.

al

Even if you don't want the pepperpots, the 14'' steel wheels from the 406 fit and are cheap. Graham Wallis has them on his 205 si and they certainly look better... (My sister was pissed off when i discovered that they fit a week after she put new tyres on her 13s...)
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Default thanks

Thanks for your help

moosey

I did the same with my 205Si ten years ago - fitted 14" Alloys with 175-60x14" tyres - a huge improvement over the OE Michilen MXL's.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Even if you don't want the pepperpots, the 14'' steel wheels from the 406 fit and are cheap. Graham Wallis has them on his 205 si and they certainly look better... (My sister was pissed off when i discovered that they fit a week after she put new tyres on her 13s...)
    The wheels are from a 405. I am using 175 by 60 tyres, I think these are brought in for the Barina GSi. As a bonus Yokohama 539s are still available in this size for the time being at least.
    Graham

Thread Information