R25 problem
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R25 problem

Default R25 problem

Hi guys. I have a problem with my brother's Renault 25. Can't get it to turn over. All I get is a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the computer. Pretty sure it's not the battery - I tried a new one but it still wouldn't turn over and the battery terminal connections seem ok.
    I was thinking maybe there's a problem with the starter motor (solenoid?), starter relay? or ignition switch? Has anyone ever had a similar problem with their 25?
    Any help would be great.

Advertisement

Cheers,
    Jonathan
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JAG80
    Hi guys. I have a problem with my brother's Renault 25. Can't get it to turn over. All I get is a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the computer. Pretty sure it's not the battery - I tried a new one but it still wouldn't turn over and the battery terminal connections seem ok.
    I was thinking maybe there's a problem with the starter motor (solenoid?), starter relay? or ignition switch? Has anyone ever had a similar problem with their 25?
    Any help would be great.

Cheers,
    Jonathan
    Sounds like the starter solenoid - my 505 did the same thing. Give it a decent thump with something solid and you should be in action.
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi 03
    Sounds like the starter solenoid - my 505 did the same thing. Give it a decent thump with something solid and you should be in action.
    Thanks kiwi,
    Yeah I'll give it a go later when I get home...see if it'll get spinning. I guess we'll have to get the starter out and recoed so there's no future problems
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Quote Originally Posted by JAG80
    Thanks kiwi,
    Yeah I'll give it a go later when I get home...see if it'll get spinning. I guess we'll have to get the starter out and recoed so there's no future problems
    I'd just source a new solenoid from Ingrams for it, they do aftermarket ones for most makes. Check out the starter yourself before you commint to a rebuild. New brushes are always easy and inexpensive to fit.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Check that the wiring terminals on the starter motor solenoid are tight, loose terminals will allow the contacts to close ( click ) but not pass enough current to turn the motor.
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

Thread Information