rear beam grease nipple mod
  • Register
  • Help

Default rear beam grease nipple mod

i undersand there is a mod that you do to the rear beam of the 205 where you put grease nipples in to grease the beam bearing.
    could someone who has done this possibly supply a photo of where the grease nipple gets put in.thanks -BAZZ

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    i undersand there is a mod that you do to the rear beam of the 205 where you put grease nipples in to grease the beam bearing.
    could someone who has done this possibly supply a photo of where the grease nipple gets put in.thanks -BAZZ
    Baz

I recently stripped and rebuilt the rear beam of a 205SI. The modification you refer to has been discussed in this forum I think - but it refers to replacing the needle roller bearings in the rear beam with custom machined [bronze] bushes. A grease nipple to try to re-grease the existing needle roller bearings (and there are two on each side) would not work because the bearings are enclosed and there would be no way the grease could be made to penetrate to the rollers themselves.

Anyway, as I see it, the 'problem' with this design and failure of the needle roller bearings is caused by an action known as brinelling where (in this instance) the pressure on an individal roller in the bearing is great enough to cause the roller (over time) to dig into the trailing arm shaft. The result is that both the needle roller bearing and the trailing arm shaft are destroyed. In other words the bearing and shaft failure are caused by the internal contact pressure of individual needle rollers.

I have been told that some people fill the refurbished rear beam with heavy grade oil as a way of ensuring the bearings are lubricated. However this won't prevent a brinelling problem.

I concluded that the only viable repair process was to simply replace the bearings and the shafts (both sides). You can get replacement bearings and seals as a complete kit from http://www.eai.net.au/ (less than from Peugeot where they are sold individually). The shafts are somewhat pricey at about $180 each and came from Peugeot (each needs to be pressed into the trailing arm).

Finally there is a good article of the repair process at http://www.205gtidrivers.com/article...rearbeamrefurb
    and I think this link may have been provided previously on Froggy Forum.

cheers

Denis

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    Baz

I recently stripped and rebuilt the rear beam of a 205SI. The modification you refer to has been discussed in this forum I think - but it refers to replacing the needle roller bearings in the rear beam with custom machined [bronze] bushes. A grease nipple to try to re-grease the existing needle roller bearings (and there are two on each side) would not work because the bearings are enclosed and there would be no way the grease could be made to penetrate to the rollers themselves.

Anyway, as I see it, the 'problem' with this design and failure of the needle roller bearings is caused by an action known as brinelling where (in this instance) the pressure on an individal roller in the bearing is great enough to cause the roller (over time) to dig into the trailing arm shaft. The result is that both the needle roller bearing and the trailing arm shaft are destroyed. In other words the bearing and shaft failure are caused by the internal contact pressure of individual needle rollers.

I have been told that some people fill the refurbished rear beam with heavy grade oil as a way of ensuring the bearings are lubricated. However this won't prevent a brinelling problem.

I concluded that the only viable repair process was to simply replace the bearings and the shafts (both sides). You can get replacement bearings and seals as a complete kit from http://www.eai.net.au/ (less than from Peugeot where they are sold individually). The shafts are somewhat pricey at about $180 each and came from Peugeot (each needs to be pressed into the trailing arm).

Finally there is a good article of the repair process at http://www.205gtidrivers.com/article...rearbeamrefurb
    and I think this link may have been provided previously on Froggy Forum.

cheers

Denis

I think the problem is more one of water getting in and causing rust.
    The grease is a attempt tp keep the water out.
    Graham

Here's a system we devised for a BX.
    Can any of this be adapted to suit by any chance?

http://www.andyspares.com/discussion...?TOPIC_ID=9972

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

/// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

This is the link to one of the previous discussions...
    205 Rear Beam Rebuilds
    -Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

Thread Information