gearbox oil drain-205 gti
  • Register
  • Help

Default gearbox oil drain-205 gti

how do you drain the oil from the gearbox of a s1 205 gti.
    is it the plug on the back of the diff or do you have to pull a drive shaft out?
    -BAZZ

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    how do you drain the oil from the gearbox of a s1 205 gti.
    is it the plug on the back of the diff or do you have to pull a drive shaft out?
    -BAZZ
    It should have a plug pointing towards the rear of the car and situated on the final drive (diff) section.
    It should have a square hole in the middle that will take an 8mm square key or a 21mm spanner (plug spanner size) on the outside of the plug.
    The filler is 19mm on the end of the box and to access, jack up, remove road wheel, remove inner guard and screw out. If you do the system I suggested, use 2 X 1 litre bottles that have spouts on the neck. Use about 500mls, drop the G70 in and shake and then tip the rest in.
    Put the second one in until oil starts to drip from the filler hole. Total capacity around 1.8 - 2 litres.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    It should have a plug pointing towards the rear of the car and situated on the final drive (diff) section.
    It should have a square hole in the middle that will take an 8mm square key or a 21mm spanner (plug spanner size) on the outside of the plug.
    The filler is 19mm on the end of the box and to access, jack up, remove road wheel, remove inner guard and screw out. If you do the system I suggested, use 2 X 1 litre bottles that have spouts on the neck. Use about 500mls, drop the G70 in and shake and then tip the rest in.
    Put the second one in until oil starts to drip from the filler hole. Total capacity around 1.8 - 2 litres.

Alan S

ta al,just as i presumed.-BAZZ

I believe there was an update on the oil capacity on these transaxles, and the amount to be measured in is 2.5 L. Of course this raises the level to above the std. level plug on the end of the housing. I ran 2.5L in my 205GTI and 405s, without any drama. I am also a believer in the Nulon G70.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Thread Information