Problems installing gearbox
  • Register
  • Help

Default Problems installing gearbox

Hi everoyne,

Advertisement

I've just bought a ba7/5 gearbox, and i want to fit it in my pug '66 404, but just looking from near it doesn't seem that the gearbox bellhousing fits into the one i bought, I think mi gearbox is the previous to the ba7/4.
    So what can be done to fit that gearbox into my car?
    Is there any modification that can be made to the bellhousing to make the gearbox fit?
    Thanks
    Peugeot 404
    It's Hard to make a good pug here.
    Colombia Rules
    Gonzo404

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo404
    Hi everoyne,

I've just bought a ba7/5 gearbox, and i want to fit it in my pug '66 404, but just looking from near it doesn't seem that the gearbox bellhousing fits into the one i bought, I think mi gearbox is the previous to the ba7/4.
    Is there any modification that can be made to the bellhousing to make the gearbox fit?
    Thanks
    If your car is a 1966 model it will have a C3 gearbox, with mechanical clutch linkages. This is an entirely different bell housing from a BA7.
    Graham

There is no need to make your bellhousing fit the gearbox... but there is a need to make several other things fit.

To use a BA7/5 you'll need to fit the flywheel from a '68 or later, along with that clutch. Whether you use hydraulics or not will be something you'll have to work out, but it would be the logical way to go. Another way might be to work out a cable linkage.

You will also need to enlarge the tunnel just ahead of the gearbox mounting, making room for the reverse gear housing and (preferably) the linkages on the right hand side.

Then you'll have to put the gearchange arm, the long one, across from the left of the box to the right to match.

A bit more nutting it out, some serious bodywork, get very dirty and quite annoyed and you'll have the job done.

Default get a later model car...

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo404
    Hi everoyne,

Thanks
    Hi Gonzo,

The BA7 -5 conversion is probably best attempted with a later model 404.

In Austalia the 1969 0r 1970 models ( front disks and power booster)

Best to use the floor shift off the 5 speed gearbox and do some panel beating of the trans tunnel.

Suggest that putting it into earlier model 404 is fraught with problems and frustration unless you are really up to speed with the differences. You would want a late model donor car to get the bits off and to see the differences.

How plentiful are late 404s in Columbia ? and do suffer the rear end rust as they do in Australia ?

BA7/5 gearboxes are quite hard to get in Aus and are much sought after ?

How about packing a crate of them for us !!!!!!

Good luck

regards

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robmac
    BA7/5 gearboxes are quite hard to get in Aus and are much sought after ?

How about packing a crate of them for us !!!!!!

Good luck

regards

Rob

Hi. rob

I, can get 2 ba7/5 gearboxes if you want.

And the rust.... i think it must be not as common as in australia but some cars are very rusty at the rear end (not mine! ).
    Peugeot 404
    Colombia Rules
    Gonzo404

Hi, everyone.

At first I was going to modificate the bellhousing, but that instead of making things better would do worst, so i got the bell housingfrom a ba7/5, the one that is for hidraulic pedal pump, i've got the pedals, the new clutch, and evereything i hope to have it done at the end of the weekend at the end of next week.

Some guy from peugeot told me that the engine supports would suffer more if i put that gearbox, is that true?

thanks all
    Peugeot 404
    Colombia Rules
    Gonzo404

Why should they?

They're the same engine mounts as those on a 505 wagon with the same engine and gearbox package (well, the same but bigger).

Don't forget that the 404 engine and the 504/505 flywheel don't go together. You need the late model 404 flywheel... unless, of course, there is some difference in the models that we don't see here. Anyway, check the number of bolts holding them on... 6 on a 404 engine, 7 on a 504 engine.

By the way, what's your objective here?

You do have an option if it's just a gearing issue... ie you want a taller top gear for cruising.

Goes straight in, some mucking about with linkages, but you can use a 403 overdrive gearbox. With your standard diff it's going to lose just a bit because the first gear is taller than what you have. But second gear is highly usable, third becomes the same as your original top and it's a nice overdrive in fourth.

If you want to be a bit more particular about it, use this box along with a 4.75:1 '64 to '66 404 wagon diff centre. You'll need to change to the later ('67 - '70) axle shafts at the same time, but this would give a very nice spread of ratios with a usable first gear and a good overdrive top. From memory, top becomes about 3.55:1 overall with this setup.

I've bought the late 404 flywheel, the one with the six bolts.

my first objective is to change the gearbox coz' it was giving me some problems, with the controls and i was really tired of the clutching system. so one guy offered me that gearbox (the Ba7/5) really really cheap and i bought it.
    the thing is that here in colombia there are not 403, not a single one. so that would be more complicated.

could you tell me how would behave this gearbox with my car?.... ie if the fifth gear is going to be a nice overdrive.

thanx
    Peugeot 404
    Colombia Rules
    Gonzo404

Yes it will...

I just remembered you will have another problem with the installation. The bolts in the bellhousing are longer than those in the BA7/4 (unless you have a different bellhousing on your BA7/5 to the one we have here), and I think you will have a lot of trouble doing up the top bolt because of this.

You can change the bellhousing for one from a BA7/4, but that means you need to change the input shaft as well, as there is a different sealing arrangement for the input shaft. The input shaft from the later 504 BA7/4 goes in, however, but it will mean a total gearbox dismantling.

Alternatively, you might find it easier to drop your front crossmember and bolt it in with the engine hanging down low.

The top gear in the BA7/5 is not as high as that in the C2 (403) box, and I used that gearbox in a couple of 404s and loved it. Great cruising gear.

Thread Information