Speedo Not Working (505)
  • Register
  • Help

Default Speedo Not Working (505)

Hey,

Just recently I took the gearbox/clutch out of my 505 to replace the clutch (which was a complete success), and obviously I had to remove the speedo cable from the side of the box. Once I put it all back together and speedo cable in place, I took it for a test drive and neither the speedo or the odo worked. It's now been approximately a month since it stopped working and I dont know what to do. The cable wouldent need replacing would it ? is there a fuse for this ?

Cheers,

Glen

Advertisement
    1981 505GR sedan - Work in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by PuGmAn
    Hey,

Just recently I took the gearbox/clutch out of my 505 to replace the clutch (which was a complete success), and obviously I had to remove the speedo cable from the side of the box. Once I put it all back together and speedo cable in place, I took it for a test drive and neither the speedo or the odo worked. It's now been approximately a month since it stopped working and I dont know what to do. The cable wouldent need replacing would it ? is there a fuse for this ?

Cheers,

Glen
    There is no fuse.
    Check and make sure the cable is inserted in box properly. If you think it is pull it out and give it a spin with a battery drill or similar (carefully) and have someone check the speedo if it still does't work pull out the speedo drive and check the nylon gear on the end. (note drain oil first) If it still has all of its teeth it should be ok. I think the gear on the output shaft is metal so that should be ok. You could also remove the instrument panel and see if the cable spins as you drive. This will save you draining the oil. If the cable is spinning and it was inserted in the speedo correctly then the speedo is faulty. Just work thru it logically and you should soon find where the problem is.

Jarrod

al

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods View Post
    There is no fuse.
    Check and make sure the cable is inserted in box properly. If you think it is pull it out and give it a spin with a battery drill or similar (carefully) and have someone check the speedo if it still does't work pull out the speedo drive and check the nylon gear on the end. (note drain oil first) If it still has all of its teeth it should be ok. I think the gear on the output shaft is metal so that should be ok. You could also remove the instrument panel and see if the cable spins as you drive. This will save you draining the oil. If the cable is spinning and it was inserted in the speedo correctly then the speedo is faulty. Just work thru it logically and you should soon find where the problem is.

Jarrod
    Massive dig here, but how do you get the speedo drive out? It is obvious in the fwd pugs, but lying under the car I can't work out where it is or how to remove it. I assume I need to get the housing that the cable sits in out first?
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Wow ! This is an old thread ! Are you having the same problem as the original poster?
    To take out the speedo drive :
    Just get under the left side of the car and follow down the speedo cable. It goes into the box towards the rear on the left side. The drive is held in by a stud and there should be a 10 mm locknut holding it in.
    Undo the locknut and using either a very small shifting spanner or a pair of pliers, undo the stud and remove it completely.
    It has flat spots on either side of the outer end so you can use a shifter or ( I think) a 6 or 7mm spanner.
    The speedo cable should then pull out.
    Then to remove the speedo drive, drain the gearbox oil, and just grab the housing it was sitting in with a pair of long nose pliers or the corner of a small pair of vise grips, and pull. Sometimes twisting very slightly helps.
    There will be an O-ring sealing this housing to stop oil dripping out. As your car is manual, clean this area and put silastic on it before re-inserting.
    If you ever do this to an automatic, don't use silastic......if any gets in the auto box, it will block the little channels inside. Get another O-ring. It is a special size, by the way. And from memory, I think thee are 2 sizes. Though if you're REALLY lucky you may get one somewhere like Repco.
    Or if you want to take the chance there will not be a slight oil leak later, don't replace the O-ring. It's easy enough to do later...but measure the outer diameter of the drive. Or the inner diameter of the hole in the gearbox.
    Last edited by Beano; 3rd August 2011 at 01:28 PM.

al

Excellent. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I had the cable out today to establish the cause of the problem, but couldn't work out how to get the drive out. I can picture what you are saying though and will have another crack at it tomorrow.

Just need to find a replacement drive next. Hopefully it will be easier than getting a speedo cable, which I've been trying to find for months thinking that was the most likely problem.

And i know that this was an epic dig, but it was the same issue. Mine just let go randomly a year or so ago and I've only recently had time to investigate.
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Hi Al,
    Did you get a new speedo cable ? And did you check first that the old one is busted ? As someone above said :"If you think it is pull it out and give it a spin with a battery drill or similar (carefully) and have someone check the speedo".
    (Obviously you put the drill on to the lower end of the cable ! ) Just make sure you try spinning the drill in both directions !
    I don't know whether the cable spins clockwise or counter.

The speedo drive is mounted on the inner end of the circular part the cable sits in. Looking from the outside, you will see a small ledge, or groove. Grab this with a pair of long-nose pliers and pull, whilst perhaps twisting slightly. If no luck, try another place on the circumference.
    OR......using an old screwdriver or similar tool bent into an "L" at the end, insert "L" into the hole ( which the cable went into) and pull out housing using the hole that the retaining bolt went into ( when it was screwed from the outside ).
    You could even use a piece of coathanger wire for this.......the housing should come out fairly easily.....though it may be stuck just slightly.
    Last edited by Beano; 3rd August 2011 at 01:43 PM.

al

I did the drill trick which is how i isolated the problem to the gearbox. Turned out the cable was spinning in the speedo drive spindle. Odd but it has done 400k.

I managed to get it working but it is a bit dodgy. I think I'll try and find a new drive and cable, but at least it is working in the interim.
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

You mean the drive is locked up ? Or the square bit the cable end fits into is worn ? Or both perhaps ?

al

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    You mean the drive is locked up ? Or the square bit the cable end fits into is worn ? Or both perhaps ?
    I should have taken some photos. The cog turns the hollow tube with a square inside, but i think it is rounded out so the cable can spin within it.

I did notice that pulling the cable out 5-10mm allowed it to engage, so i've bodged a spacer until i can find a new cable and drive.
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Thread Information