16v/mi16 knock sensor
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 16v/mi16 knock sensor

Hi Guys,

After reading the error codes in my ecu i got 1. o2 sensor and 2. knock sensor.

Threw the o2 sensor from our spare car on, that error is now gone, but still have the knock sensor error.

Are there any common problems with these? The light is only on intermittantly.
    Does anyone know how to test these, i'll need to put the car up on ramps and find the sensor and check the wiring out.

So assuming this sensor is bolted straight onto the block what torque should it be bolted on at??

Cheers,

Advertisement

Dave

Only about 20Nm from memory, the same as the normal #3 mains cap side bolt.

I don't know to test them, but while ever you're getting the error code you're loosing about 15kW!

I'd check for connector corrosion etc., first. I'd doubt there's a broken wire as this part of the engine rarely sees the light of day.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

al

I'm interested in this as well as my knock sensors have been sending error messages very regularly...

I've been told that it is due to using crap fuel, but i don't think that is it as i always use bp ultimate. (i have been told it is best)
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Only about 20Nm from memory, the same as the normal #3 mains cap side bolt.

I don't know to test them, but while ever you're getting the error code you're loosing about 15kW!

I'd check for connector corrosion etc., first. I'd doubt there's a broken wire as this part of the engine rarely sees the light of day.
    Thanks Peter, I did notice shes got a bit more go when the light is off, how much does it retard the timing??

Cheers for the help,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by al
    I've been told that it is due to using crap fuel, but i don't think that is it as i always use bp ultimate. (i have been told it is best)
    Al,

I don't think the lights will come on when the knock sensor is doing its job, only when there is something wrong with it. You could run 91 ron and as far as I know the knock sensor will just retard the timing if it detects detonation, but thats what its supposed to do. It should not flash the light unless there is a problem.

Dave

Default Update

Well I ripped the knock sensor off this arvo and rigged it up to the microphone port on the pc and this is what it sounds like when pretend to play drums on it with my finger HERE

It looks nice and clean and was torqued on well. Dad tested the capacitance and it read about 1 nF (nanofarad) - when not bolted onto the block.

So it seems to work?? Will go and check all the wiring from the sensor to the ECU later.

Cheers,

Dave

Well just checked the wiring and it is perfect. So time for a new sensor or ECU

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    So time for a new ECU

Dave

You've been listening to too many of these guys overseas; they throw ECUs in like they're going out of style and I was once told by a Cit mechanic from over there that the only genuinely faulty ECUs he's ever found had been dunked in water. I reckon some of them over there would blame the ECU if they got a flat tyre.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I said sensor or ECU. I do agree that the ECU is very unlikely Does brad have a spare sensor or know where to get spares??

Dave

Here are a couple of piccies of the sensor off and back on the car for anyone who hasn't seen one/where it is and has to look in the future. If you look up between the oil filter and the starter motor from underneath the car its the sensor bolted into cyl 3.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16v/mi16 knock sensor-knock.jpg   16v/mi16 knock sensor-knock1.jpg  

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    You've been listening to too many of these guys overseas; they throw ECUs in like they're going out of style and I was once told by a Cit mechanic from over there that the only genuinely faulty ECUs he's ever found had been dunked in water. I reckon some of them over there would blame the ECU if they got a flat tyre.

Alan S
    Would smoke filling the cabin be an indication of ECU failure? I sure hope so, otherwise I reaplaced one on my Magna for nothing.
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

FWIW on a Magna (by Masturbasty) it's an ECI and on them it's a common problem.

I have one sitting in front of me right now that belonged to a mate of mine who took it from his wife's car, bought another from a wrecker; same problem. Wrecker replcaed it with another; same problem and then in desperation, lifted a pile of body shells off one ready to go to the crusher, dug it out of a very wet rusty cab, shook it out and connected it to the car expecting it would also blow up because it looked so daggy and it is still going.
    However, they can't be compared to the BX system which is very troublefree.

Alan S

I said sensor or ECU. I do agree that the ECU is very unlikely Does brad have a spare sensor or know where to get spares??

Dave

Sorry mate, didn't see this posting as I've been a bit busy the past couple of days (to put it bloody mildly)

I'll see him when he gets in eventually tonight and post a response.

Alan S

I called the fella we usually get our bosch parts from today and I can get a new one for about 80 bucks so not too worried. Will have one more go with the current one though, then time for a new sensor.

cheers for the help

Dave

Well I ripped the knock sensor off this arvo and rigged it up to the microphone port on the pc and this is what it sounds like when pretend to play drums on it with my finger HERE
    Ha thats cool!

I'm hoping my issue is vaguely related to my knock sensor, hence posting in this thread. During the week I decided against filling up the BX with 98 octane for the first time ever, because it was nudging $1.34 a litre in my area. So I filled up with 95 instead. I expected a loss of torque, but it feels as if I've gained torque. It seems to rev more freely as well.

So...if my car seems to run better on 95 than 98, what might that be telling us?

Default Update

Update time:

Well the car has been up on blocks for the last week or 2 and in that time, we changed the accumulator sphere, put a relay on the starter and I moved the stereo over from my GT.

Car started perfectly first time, so hopefully the relay is doing the trick. Drove it into work today, stereo sounds great. The best part however is that so far no ecu light. Yay. Knowing my luck it will come on this afternoon

Just cleaned up the old sensor and bolted it back on fairly tight so will see how it goes.

Cheers,

Dave

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Peter T's right, the knock sender will have a large impact on power and fuel consumption. I have the documentation for the old CX. If it doesn't see a knock sender by default it retards the ignition by a whoping TEN DEGREES ie: You not getting anywhere in a hurry ... Then again the likelyhood of destroying the motor due to detonation is extremely remote too.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

So people, when you lend your mi16/bx16Valve to your son/daughter/brother/cousin/whoever, unplug the knock sensor so they can't hoon too much

Dave

i have the same problem with the knock sensor

it goes on when i accelerates hard, then it goes off after awhile or when i let go the accelerator. After few month of driving, I don't notice any difference in fuel comsumption

Is there a way to fix this problem? Thanks.

I'll let you know if mine stays good now, i'd just make sure its screwed on tight and the wiring is ok, and if that doesn't work get a new sensor.

Dave

Still no ecu light on the way home so I might be out of trouble

Dave

Hi Dave,

What your verdict on your knock sensor fix? Good? I hope to fix it as soon as possible Got a quote and it is too $$$

Should I scrub clean the sensor and put it back?

Hey mate,

Mine is working perfectly now, so if I were you i'd just clean it up then torque it on tight, and if the problem is still there just replace the sensor, i got a quote of about 80 bucks for a new sensor, quite easy to change yourself.

Dave

Dave,

I'm guessing reading that post that "Chef" has been quoted a scarey price for a new one, possibly been talking to a dealer and quoted 'Genuine Parts' price.
    Definition of Genuine Parts:

Bosch Parts in blue box with lions all over it and bearing a complicated parts number and a sign warning of using anything but things that come in these blue boxes. Price same as Bosch but multiplied by 5 to cover costs of labour involved making the warning sticker for the box, the box, royalties to the artist that drew the Lion and a donation towards future "Research and Development"

I take it you bought yours from Repco or someone who is a Bosch dealer?

Alan S

Alan,

I didn't need a new one, bolted the old one back on nice and tight and shes all good now.

From qld bosch distributor, Brisco Butler - said he can get them for 85.60 (that was if i waited for a shipment from melbourne). Which happens quite often.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information