S16 coils....
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: S16 coils....

Default S16 coils....

Hey all...

Have there been any/many S16/gti6 owners that have had problems with their ignition coils at all??
    I have had to replace one, but i want to know if it will end up being a recurring thing, and if i should look for a way to cool them....

Kyle

Advertisement

how can i tell if mine are on the way out... i've been chugging the gas lately, and the bloody intake vaceum pots are stuffed...

Hi Kyle, I have replaced 3 maybe 4 over the last 9 1/2 years... they seemed to die at regular intervals (should be due for one real soon now), I only ever replace them one at a time (some people recommend replacing all of them at once, but hey if I had done that the I would have replaced all four when the car was only 3 years old!!! and who knows how many since! I think you would have a hard time devising a way of cooling them... maybe drill holes in the alloy cover

DRTDVL, You will know if they are on the way out when the car starts running on 3 cylinders when hot (this is assuming only one dies, which has always been the case with my car) you will be driving along and all of a sudden the car will just start missing on one cylinder (you will notice it!!) once the car cools down it will run fine again until it heats up. I carry a spare in the boot just in case. I've been lucky so far in that every one that has died has been here in the metro area, but I don't want to take the chance and have one die on me on a trip (and not have a spare).

if your vaccum pots are stuffed that will be effecting your fuel econnomy a lot!!! get them fixed you won't believe the difference in the driveability of the car!! and you will regain some of that lost MPG....

Things that have effected my fuel economy (that I have actually done before and after on)

exhaust... went from 380Km on a tank to 420KM on a tank (city driving) after putting on a new high flow exhaust (I think it was more the fact that the old exhaust was on the way out than the fact that the new one was high flow).

02 sensor.... went from 420KM on a tank to 460KM on a tank (city driving) after replacing the O2 sensor (one of the wires broke off causing the car to start missing at about 5K RPM, which is what prompted the change, however the old one was obviously a bit past it before it broke completely!!!)

car gets worse fuel econnomy using BP Ultimate 98, than it does using optimax or synergy 8000, probably to the tune of 20KM less on a tank.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    I think you would have a hard time devising a way of cooling them... maybe drill holes in the alloy cover
    but a hole in the bonnet, and run them along the top of it... direct air cooling?

or maybe a reverse bonnet scoop (think wrx style but turned around and about 1/2 the hight) to let the warm/hot air out...

I removed the coil cover all together... 5 years later and only once coil replacement, which was before the removal. The coils are not held in by this coverm they just pop into place . - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thanks Wintermute, yeah I thought as much the case...
    I'm waiting for trivett to turn up with my new coil as we speak...

Chris,
    The coils on my car are held in place by the cover, If i leave it off they pop out.

There must be an effective way to keep these things cool, Maybe mount them off the engine and use ht leads....

Buy a strut brace and mount a new 4 coil setup onto that.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information