gear box oil-peugeot or any brand.?
  • Register
  • Help

Default gear box oil-peugeot or any brand.?

can someone tell me why the peugeot gearbox oil is recomeneded above other brands of gear oil.
    its still a 75 w 80 oil.
    is there any real beneifits to the oe oil
    this will open a debate i hope and flush out the reasons why?-BAZZ

Advertisement
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    can someone tell me why the peugeot gearbox oil is recomeneded above other brands of gear oil.
    its still a 75 w 80 oil.

So that Peugeot can make some money out of you.....end of story.

They're not an oil company and oils and lubes are made to certain specs. I would imagine it would be made and supplied on tender by an outside source, put in bottles with lions on the outside whereupon it will become angels piss with a cure for all ills.
    From many years experience overseas they reckon the BE1 and BE3 boxes as we have in BXs, 405s and 205s don't like synthetics apparently due to the material the synchros are made from.
    It seems that Citroen recommend Total fluids and sometimes Castrol and Peugeot from what I hear advise something different but they all use the one box, so that really answers the question.
    I have always used Castrol VMX80. It hasn't been something I've just walked into SuperCheap and bought because it was on special that day, but on trial and error over 21 years of owning Citroens. More recently and after a long debate a few years back on aussiefrogs, I have taken to also adding the G70 and I am yet to find anything to better it or hear of anyone not fully convinced it's the best in these BE boxes.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

its still a 75 w 80 oil.

according to my boss at univers motors. and he has been in the game for a while what we use is better for be1-be3 boxes. cant remember what it is though will try to remember to have a look tomoro.

i don't think that peugeot's recomendation on gear oil is any good tho. the 306 boxes that they say are sealed for life we change at around 100-150k and it is pritty bad by then. and the al4 auto tranys in the 406's (which are also 'sealed for life' and thereforenot touched by peugeot dealerships) we change the fluid every 40k and it is already looking bad at that point. cos we dont normaly get cars till they have 80k plus on them lots of the 406's we see we have to do. makes a difference to how they drive too.

if you have a 505 with auto trany your pan gasget is leaking and your tranny fluit is lucky to register on tth dip stick!
    Last edited by amcc; 6th July 2005 at 06:50 PM.
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

Hmmm. I was told by the mechanic where i bought my BE3 equipped 406 ST that synthetic was the only choice

But I have noticed its not the smoothest changing thing around, especially when cold. This is a box with fresh synthetic juice (castrol i think) in it (changed 25K ago when they did the clutch)

worth dropping it out and changing for something else?
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

I had a discussion with someone who is no longer on the forum who insisted his 405 said it had to be synthetic and told these great stories of its superiority.
    I've struck countless cases of people changing oil to synthetics, ATFs and thicker grade oils and all have ended up with teh same end result; notchy changes.
    Here is an article from a website in Belguim. The author is an engineer and a noted authority on Cits, in this case, BXs with BE1 & BE3 gearboxes.

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/...ransmissionOil

I understand that in later models with different boxes this isn't a problem due to the material the synchros are made from.
    I've followed this guy initially and added on from there with great success.

Alan S

So, this returns us to the original post. What is best?

I'll be changing mine real soon. Along with the engine oil, filter and spark plugs.

pipsqeek
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

My usual song and dance act:

Castrol VMX80 with 125mls of Nulon G 70 added.

Alan S

think i will do this soon. Its especially crunchy when cold and i can feel the synchros having a hard time getting it right on quick changes... I have got into the habit of matching revs precisely for changes to avoid it, and it shouldnt need such babying on such a new car

Sure as hell cant hurt!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep,

listen to Alan. BTW: The only manual gearbox I'd EVER recommend running ATF in is the Citroen CX 4spd. It's a miracle juice when used in that gearbox (remembering the C-matic has the identical internal components and runs ATF too).

I'd leave the Nulon G70 out of a new gearbox like Haakon has though. If the gearchange is still ordinary, you can always add some later (that Nulon gearbox treatment really does work miracles on worn gearboxs though).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

i'm interested in this topic, any updates?

can anyone recommend actual products?

i spoke with graham wallis on this subject.he says that he put in ordinary gear oil but found that it was hard to change gears when the box was cold,i too have found this.
    he recomends the gear oil sold by auto-paris.its about 18 bucks a litre,you need two ltrs.
    this oil improves gear changing when cold.
    im going to run the penrite gear oil for a month or so then flush and will replace it with the auto-paris oil and post my results.
    i also run g70 but its still a bit stiff in the mornings[alright no stiffy jokes]-BAZZ

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i spoke with graham wallis on this subject.he says that he put in ordinary gear oil but found that it was hard to change gears when the box was cold,i too have found this.
    he recomends the gear oil sold by auto-paris.its about 18 bucks a litre,you need two ltrs.
    this oil improves gear changing when cold.
    im going to run the penrite gear oil for a month or so then flush and will replace it with the auto-paris oil and post my results.
    i also run g70 but its still a bit stiff in the mornings[alright no stiffy jokes]-BAZZ

you can do as i have done in the past with BA10's and that is to run around 250ml of ATF in there for the colder months

never hurt the BA10's and i never hada gear change problem when cold
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thread Information