205 gti gear box /low oil find
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 gti gear box /low oil find

i have been having pretty severe gear selection problems of late ,especially rev and second[the 205 gremlins].
    thought i may be in for a new clutch or box rebuild.http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/ima...ons/icon13.gif
    thought id check the oil in the gear box and there was hardly any DO-H.
    i must have a leak i was un aware of.
    the upshot is after putting 1 and 1/2 lters of oil in [the box holds 2 ltrs]
    it now has no problems at all selecting any gear[except 2 sometimes]even cold and im a happy manhttp://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif.not even noisy.
    ive put nulon g70 in about 6-7 mnths ago and i reckon it was holding it together.
    im gonna put some more in now.
    so check the oil level on your box if in doubt.
    its the 22 ml [biggest head]on the side of box.
    2ltrs will fill it so it will just start to run out on level ground.
    i used penrite 75 w 50.-BAZZ

Advertisement
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

i used penrite 75 w 50
    What is that?

Do you mean 75W 80 ??

Anyway, Baz, I'd suggest you run this in the box complete with the G70 for a month and then do a complete drain & refill as you just might get a little surprise at how that oil looks when it comes out. Any crap and bits of metal should be flushed out and the gearchange improvement should be quite noticeable.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    What is that?

Do you mean 75W 80 ??

Anyway, Baz, I'd suggest you run this in the box complete with the G70 for a month and then do a complete drain & refill as you just might get a little surprise at how that oil looks when it comes out. Any crap and bits of metal should be flushed out and the gearchange improvement should be quite noticeable.

Alan S
    Alan,

Do you think it will be ok to use the G70 in my BA7/5 gearbox? I use Haveline Premium engine oil in it as per Mr Peugeot's instructions - I'm not going to change that, so lets not go there for those of you thinking of resurrecting the old argument - and I'm not sure if the Nulon product is only compatible with high viscosity gear oil. After the amount of crap that came out of my gearbox last time it could use a decent flush.

Thanks

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    What is that?

Do you mean 75W 80 ??

Alan S
    correct alan-70 w 80 not 50.-will do the flush in a month and see.-BAZZ
    BAZGTI
    87' 205 gti anthacite grey
    electric sunroof/tinted windows
    koni yellow adjustables/sparco strut brace.
    15" polished speedlines.
    momo steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    i have been having pretty severe gear selection problems of late ,especially rev and second[the 205 gremlins].
    thought i may be in for a new clutch or box rebuild.http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/ima...ons/icon13.gif
    thought id check the oil in the gear box and there was hardly any DO-H.
    i must have a leak i was un aware of.
    the upshot is after putting 1 and 1/2 lters of oil in [the box holds 2 ltrs]
    it now has no problems at all selecting any gear[except 2 sometimes]even cold and im a happy manhttp://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif.not even noisy.
    ive put nulon g70 in about 6-7 mnths ago and i reckon it was holding it together.
    im gonna put some more in now.
    so check the oil level on your box if in doubt.
    its the 22 ml [biggest head]on the side of box.
    2ltrs will fill it so it will just start to run out on level ground.
    i used penrite 75 w 50.-BAZZ

dont mean to crash your party but on every be1-be3 box that i have checked the level on. and i do aroung 1 a day at the mo the level plug has been 19mm and is located on the LH end. it is almost covered by the plastic wheel arch thing and is a bit of a b##ch to get at without a hoist. think the 22mm is a fill hole and the 19mm is the level. we fill through the 19mm
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

Quote Originally Posted by amcc
    dont mean to crash your party but on every be1-be3 box that i have checked the level on. and i do aroung 1 a day at the mo the level plug has been 19mm and is located on the LH end. it is almost covered by the plastic wheel arch thing and is a bit of a b##ch to get at without a hoist. think the 22mm is a fill hole and the 19mm is the level. we fill through the 19mm

well put it down to 'just how many peices of misinfo and just plain wrong sizes 'can i put in one post.
    quite correct.19 ml on side of box.
    ta -BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by amcc

You do it the hard way then.

BE3: Fill from the top. There's a black plastic breather cap, in the hole where the reverse pull up cable would normally go on a BE1. Remove plastic cap and fill up!

BE1: Fill from the side as suggested, but engage reverse and jack up the left hand side a bit. I've never seen 2L go in any other way.

I use Castrol Syntrax. If the linkages and clutch are adjusted correctly you shouldn't need any additives.
    Last edited by PeterT; 14th July 2005 at 06:59 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlb
    Alan,

Do you think it will be ok to use the G70 in my BA7/5 gearbox? I use Haveline Premium engine oil in it as per Mr Peugeot's instructions - I'm not going to change that, so lets not go there for those of you thinking of resurrecting the old argument - and I'm not sure if the Nulon product is only compatible with high viscosity gear oil. After the amount of crap that came out of my gearbox last time it could use a decent flush.

Thanks

Matt

by all means use the nulon

it will only do the box good
    the other thing i found in cold climates was to use around 250ml of ATF in the box as well as the engine oil and cold changes are then very nice

no harm from using the engine oil in the g/box with the ATF as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

the other thing i found in cold climates was to use around 250ml of ATF in the box as well as the engine oil and cold changes are then very nice

Thanks 'rambo.

Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

With all the dramas we've recently uncovered regarding the properties and performances of ATF, shouldn't that be clarified a bit more regarding the type of ATF if that's going to be used?
    Reason I ask is that I had a guy a few months back who was running Dex 3 in a BX box and it was carrying on like an old bltz wagon crash box as though the synchros weren't even there.
    Changed to the correct stuff and all is well.

Alan S

I wonder how well a motorcycle engine oil will perform in our pugs?

I know alot of people use them in their engines... most, if not all motorcycle oils have additives in there for the wet clutches. But the engines oil is shared with the clutch.

What's your opinion on this?

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Depends on the grade of oil.
    Castrol use different additives in their various brews and the VMX is the one we've found is the go in these as amongst other things it has additives to help the cold shifts which is something a lot of people comment on when they use it.
    Apparently once the different metal was used for the synchros, that was when the synthetics came into their own but this was way past the days of the cars most of us use and as stated in a link I posted on this, most who use a full synthetic eventually ahve to dump it and go to mineral.
    They can be so touchy that I've often seen owners using gear oil up to 90/95 grade that have found it almost impossible to get into gear within a few days of chnging to those grades of oil, so it be a braver man than I who would experiment without full knowledge of what was in it.

Alan S

Thread Information