203 wipers
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 203 wipers

Default 203 wipers

I'm not sure this is where I should be, so move it if you think fit.

I'm trying to put together a 203, and have been told (tonight) the wipers are basically rubbish, and that I should upgrade them by using 403 spindles and 2CV arms and blades.

Help appreciated, it rains here from time to time!

Thanks, Mike.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

It is true that a French motor magazine in the 1950's did cruelly suggest that the wiper system on the 203 was a carryover not from the 202 but from the 201. Given that the 203 has a flat screen, the blades and arms seem to do a satisfactory job, little different to the converging wipers of the early 403. The converging system does leave a fair area unswept, but the motor speed is little different to a 403. I wouldn't see much advantage in upgrading to an early 403 system.The parallel arm system on the 403 is quite different.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the thing is getting a good enough wiper arm to keep pressure on the screen and a good enough wiper to clear the water off

most 203's i have even been in have been good at spreading the water over the screen but never seem to be any good at wiping the water away

i have heard of morris minor wiper arms though that seem to work ok and VW 2 speed motors that you can slightly modify to bolt up and still have the clap hand wiper arms so you are still using the existing system but have 2 speeds and decent enough power to move the higher sprung arms
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    the thing is getting a good enough wiper arm to keep pressure on the screen and a good enough wiper to clear the water off

most 203's i have even been in have been good at spreading the water over the screen but never seem to be any good at wiping the water away

i have heard of morris minor wiper arms though that seem to work ok and VW 2 speed motors that you can slightly modify to bolt up and still have the clap hand wiper arms so you are still using the existing system but have 2 speeds and decent enough power to move the higher sprung arms

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the morris arms fit straight on to 203 spindles, or do the need to be altered in any way?

The ends of my 203 spindles are like a circle with a quadrant missing.

Many thanks, Mike.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet
    Thanks for the advice. Do you know if the morris arms fit straight on to 203 spindles, or do the need to be altered in any way?

The ends of my 203 spindles are like a circle with a quadrant missing.

Many thanks, Mike.
    Mike,
    I did a successful conversion of my brother '62 403 about 30 years ago using a Lucas (sorry) 2-speed system off a Mini. Used Mini arms and blades too from memory. The advantage of the BMC Lucas systems is that they are cable-drive to a wheel-box (gear) at each arm spindle. The motor can be mounted anywhere. Choose the wheel-boxes (BMC term) and spindles to suit the sweep arc required and choose the motor to suit the length of drive-cable needed. May be from different model or brand of car. Cut the drive cable to length and make a new cable tube out of annealed copper tube. The ends need to be flared. The original drive tubes are aluminium.

Warwick.

Quote Originally Posted by WLB
    Mike,
    I did a successful conversion of my brother '62 403 about 30 years ago using a Lucas (sorry) 2-speed system off a Mini. Used Mini arms and blades too from memory. The advantage of the BMC Lucas systems is that they are cable-drive to a wheel-box (gear) at each arm spindle. The motor can be mounted anywhere. Choose the wheel-boxes (BMC term) and spindles to suit the sweep arc required and choose the motor to suit the length of drive-cable needed. May be from different model or brand of car. Cut the drive cable to length and make a new cable tube out of annealed copper tube. The ends need to be flared. The original drive tubes are aluminium.

Warwick.

Thanks for that, but (it depresses me to remember) 30 years ago I had an MG Midget using that system which I tried to fix and I ended up in a terrible muddle.
    With a lot of help, ie; getting someone else to fix it, it got sorted, but I didn't understand what he did then, and I'm not so sure that system would suit converging arms / clap arms wipers.

Thanks, Mike.

WLB

Thanks for that, but (it depresses me to remember) 30 years ago I had an MG Midget using that system which I tried to fix and I ended up in a terrible muddle.
    With a lot of help, ie; getting someone else to fix it, it got sorted, but I didn't understand what he did then, and I'm not so sure that system would suit converging arms / clap arms wipers.

Thanks, Mike.
    Yes, same system. For converging arms the second wheel-box is inverted (rotated through 180 deg) but you need sufficient space. It was actually dead simple on the 403 and gave much stronger wipers, but I know nothing about the 203.
    Good luck with finding a remedy.

Warwick.

Thanks for that, but (it depresses me to remember) 30 years ago I had an MG Midget -------- then, and I'm not so sure that system would suit converging arms / clap arms wipers.

Thanks, Mike.
    I have a faint memory that there used to be an aftermarket kit for 203 wipers made by TRICO ?? Think they had a 'converter' widget which fitted onto the external part of the spindle & then you could fit a small english type wiper arm/blade onto that.

Actually I do recall buying some new original 203 arms & wipers in France to fit on our African 203 in late 1960s. Someone in UK had tried to Anglicise the wipers but done it poorly.

The new original blades seemed to work OK - but then again I suppose we weren't driving all that fast (but we did go to alot of wet & cold places).

The item that made the biggest difference to 203 cold weather visibility was the original 203 heater & demister . Australian & African cars didnt come with these as standard? I had to stare down a huge snarling french junk yard dog , big hairy Alsation (as it had picked this particular 203 as a kennel) but I needed the heater!! By the end the GF had made friends with the monster & wanted to take it with us .

Didnt the early VW Kombi Vans have the same style wipers - I wonder what they did to improve them?
    So many projects - so little time.

1000+ Posts

I used to use those Trico kits for the 403. Worked ok, you could use the Trico wipers then but the little lead convertors got hard to get. I actually use VW flat blades on mine, you cut them to length. I would love an original 203 heater, never seen the beast. My 203 wipers work ok except in some conditions when they can lift a bit, probably due to the wiper arms being a great age. Neo Retro list 203 arms and blades, don't know what they're like.

Default 203 wipers

Hmm.

Stretching my memory here but I do remember I replaced the 203 wipers with 403 arms and blades using the adapters (brass?) bought from Regans, the Peugeot dealers in Melbourne.

I found the originals next to useless at 70 mph (16" tyres) on the Mildura - Melbourne run (I used to take them off for the trip - saved having to stop and pick them off the road and then put them back on). Once the adaptors were fitted and 403 arms and blades, no problems. Recall: Best time was 5 hours flat for 350 miles, one tank of fuel, no stops. Those were the days....

203 wipers were not a strong selling differentiator.

friday403

Thread Information