Average running tempreture for a GTI6
  • Register
  • Help

Default Average running tempreture for a GTI6

Hi guys,

Advertisement

I have had a little coolant leak in my GTI6. im keeping it topped up and it going back in to the shop for another look tomorrow, and seeing as I havenít had it for long im not quite aware of how hot the normal running temp is, and what is considered to hot for a basicly functioning 1999 model.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

90 deg

rek

Yeah about 90 degrees. And the difference between coolant temperature and oil temperature is never much more than about 10 degrees (when you're caning it this goes out the window, of course)
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    90 deg

actually normal running temp is 80deg unless you stop in traffic and it starts to rise untill the fans kick in

the fans kick in at or just over 90deg
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thanks a Lot guys,

i was just testing and the fans kicked in about 98-100, i know thats thats a bit higher than 90 is it possible to ajust the temp the fans come on at??

but it then went back to 90 pretty much straight away, so hopefully this means that the systems working pretty well

anyway thanks for the info,

james
    Last edited by James G; 14th June 2005 at 11:54 AM.

yes you definately can adjust temp for the second speed to kick in....i have done on my XU10J4D engine and it works like a gem...i used to have the same problem as you had with the seond speed kicking in just below 100 degrees celcius...but now after fitting a variable temp regulator my temp is always maintained at 80 on the highway and 80 in a very bad traffic also...it can go adjusted to kick in lower by turning the dial if you are doing track days or any high spirited driving....

this is how the regulator looks like...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Average running tempreture for a GTI6-imag0001.jpg   Average running tempreture for a GTI6-imag0002.jpg  
    With Rgds,

Senthil16V

The S16's thermo starts opening at 89deg and I'd expect the GTI6 to be the same.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

on the open road my guage sits on 80deg in the GTi-6

it only ever goes up to 90 and a bit more in traffic

either my car has a different thermostat in it or the guage is out but normal operating temp for mine is no where near 90deg
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Yeah i was checking myn today and it will sit at 80 but heat up if i stop in traffic, untill about 95 when the fan kicks it back to 90, so it seems all is well.

i had my car fitted with 78 degrees C thermostat before i installed the fan speed regulator...but unfortunately it did not make much of a difference as the second speed was kicking in too late for the climate here in malaysia...

so once i installed the regulator, the problem was resolved...

any comments on ideal operating temp for french cars? i reckon anywhere between 80 to 85 degrees C will be ideal in any climate...

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

thermo fans on gti6 kick in at 92deg. no prob if sitting around or slightly above this in traffic. get it fixed tho! get a pressure tester put on to find the leak and you will be apples. 9 out of ten its a loose hase clamp
    French - 92 205mi16, 87 205gti and spares
    Other - Amarok V6, Iveco Daily 50C17, Isuzu 600

Quote Originally Posted by James G
    i was just testing and the fans kicked in about 98-100, i know thats thats a bit higher than 90 is it possible to ajust the temp the fans come on at??

but it then went back to 90 pretty much straight away, so hopefully this means that the systems working pretty well
    The fans might appear to come on when the temperature is 98-100 but the guage in the dash has a temperature sensor independant of the ECU. The guage sensor is the top one on the thermostat housing (blue, i think) and the ECU sensor is the bottom (green). Theory says that the water higher in the housing will be hotter than at the bottom, right? therefore guage is reading 98 but ecu is reading 92 or whatever temp the fans are supposed to switch on.
    When you fill the radiator make sure you open the bleeder at the opposite end of the radiator to the filler cap. Otherwise every time you run the engine part of the air lock will move around to the filler tank but won't be completely got rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    on the open road my guage sits on 80deg in the GTi-6

it only ever goes up to 90 and a bit more in traffic

either my car has a different thermostat in it or the guage is out but normal operating temp for mine is no where near 90deg
    So Was my S16 (running at 80) just got the thermostat replaced yesterday (it used to run at 90 on the open road so I was suspicious when it started running at 80) and now it is running at 90 again If it starts nudging 100 in traffic I'd get it replaced as it is probably on the way out .... I had one fail before in the half open position, part of it ended up in the water pump

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    So Was my S16 (running at 80) just got the thermostat replaced yesterday (it used to run at 90 on the open road so I was suspicious when it started running at 80) and now it is running at 90 again If it starts nudging 100 in traffic I'd get it replaced as it is probably on the way out .... I had one fail before in the half open position, part of it ended up in the water pump

Tony.

mine has always run at 80c from the day it left the dealer in my hands
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    mine has always run at 80c from the day it left the dealer in my hands
    hehehe I should have asked if you bought it new or second hand still seems a bit odd.... faulty thermostat from the factory??

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Mates,

i dont think the thermostat can help in lowering the temp much...i have fitted the 78 degrees C and it still goes to about 100 when im stuck in a jam...the trick is to install the fan speed regulator or alternatively you can install bx 19 fan switch to activate the second speed at 84 degrees C...the fan switch can be installed below the passenger side radiator hose which has a big allen key plug in place...but the risk of breaking the radiator is high as the allen key plug could have rusted...you can use WD 40 to loosen the rust but must be progressively done with a lot of patience...otherwise the radiator will break if forced to hard!

Below are some specs of the fan switch and the photo of it...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Average running tempreture for a GTI6-thermocontact.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    With Rgds,

Senthil16V

my Pug's been running at 90 degrees all the time and when stuck in traffic for a long time it would go to 95.

I've recently replaced a broken bleed screw at the top of the radiator (yesterday) and surprise surprise the temperatures have dropped by 5 degrees. I guess if the system doesnt have any leaks it cools more efficently. Now it's 80-85 all the time and if I'm stuck in truffic for a long period of time I goes to 90 but never hotter...
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

The black switch shown in Senthill's post above is similar to the one used in the BX 16V and with those, factory approved mod was to change them to a diesel switch which was a lower temperature for cut in at both speeds.
    Reason given was to avoid heat spikes which used to cause engines to mysteriously overheat when the right set of circumstances arose.
    The actual thermostat in the engines on the BXs were set to open at 82 degrees so it stands to reason if the temp is constantly well below that, the thermostat is jammed in the open position.
    Unfortunately, too many drivers seem to think an engine running at a lower temp is better than one operating at say around 90 but they forget that it is a proven cause of premature engine wear and we proved overseas that in snowy winters, it also caused mayonnaise within the the breathing system. The thermostats on these are referred to as "Waxstats" and general concensus is that they would only have a life expectancy of around 3/5 years. I replaced one in a BX I'm working on yesterday as it was showing around 70 and a sign of failure is that the temp takes a fair while to reach it's running temp regardless of what it is. When fully operational, the temp gauge should rocket up to around the 80/90 mark withing about 4 klms and then stay constant at that as it heats the engine coolant and then discharges it into the radiator via the thermostat opening.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

did you get all that jimbo?

come round and have a beer tonight you muzza.
    205GTi Peugeot 1988 Graphite Grey for sale $2500

Thread Information