Fly-off handbrake conversion?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Fly-off handbrake conversion?

Hi all, anyone got experience with converting the standard handbrake lever to a fly-off set-up? Should just be a case of reversing pawls or something but before I pull the handbrake out and drill out the pivot to suss it all out I thought I'd ask! Thanks, Chris

Advertisement
    205gti

You can put a pin thru it. That way you can remove it when you are not in competition and use the handbrake as normal.

Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    You can put a pin thru it. That way you can remove it when you are not in competition and use the handbrake as normal.

Jarrod
    I did this job some years ago, but it does rely on having access to a lathe to do it really well.

1: Get a nice large diameter (40mm should do it) bar of Delrin or similar stiff plastic from the local bearing shop, about 100mm long.

2 Take the rubber off the handbrake so you are left with the metal part only.

3. Bore a hole in the plastic that is about 70mm deep, the diameter of the metal bit of the handbrake lever.

Now you have a plastic condom that fits over the end of your handbrake lever which holds the button in for you. To hold it in place you can either

a: Slot the end and clamp tight with a hose clamp
    b: Drill a hole in it and thread a grub screw in
    c: Some other way I haven't thought of....

If you have bored the hole well you can make it a neat sliding fit and it won't require much holding in place.

Now if you have a lathe you can dome the end and knurl it so it looks pretty. The coolest bit is it is really cheap, gives a better feel as it is larger diameter and when you aren't competing it comes off really easily.

Cheers

Hoges

Thanks guys, but that really just holds the button in...
    What I've seen done in another car involved some how changing the ratchet so that when you lift it up it grips the rear, you let go and it just falls. When you want it to actually stay on , you press the button, so it ends up the reverse of the usual button operation...

PS I just had to use the new smilie thing at least once...
    205gti

. When you want it to actually stay on , you press the button, so it ends up the reverse of the usual button operation...

Ahhh, I see what you mean, this was a common feature on some old english cars ( maybe even the mini I think). I have a similar type of set up on the Vitesse which is a conversion from the normal ratchet type, but it is a bit more complex. In short, I have replaced the button with a locking type of button so that you can press it in and turn it to keep it locked in. When you want to go back to normal operation you just turn it back the other way and the button pops out and resumes normal operation. In my case this meant making quite a few bits, but it might be easier than reengineering the pawls and springs etc in your case.

Cheers

Hoges

You used to be able to buy a combination lock that could be fitted over the hand brake after the plastic grip was removed and located with snap off bolts to make it hard for it to be removed. Once installed you could lock the button in either the out position to disable the car or lock the button in the pressed postion to turn it into a flyoff hand brake, great for motorkhanas etc.

Alan

Thread Information