205 Gti Turbo?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 205 Gti Turbo?

Default 205 Gti Turbo?

just a question-why dont people turbo the 205 gti here in oz.
    there is a couple of companies in the uk ie-turbo technics and gutmann that do turbo mods to the 205 gti.
    now im not saying i want to do this but was just interested as i dont see people doing this here ,only mi 16 mods and motor mods.
    ive had people ask me what they go like turboed and i say -uuhhh?? dun no mate.-BAZZ

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    just a question-why dont people turbo the 205 gti here in oz.
    there is a couple of companies in the uk ie-turbo technics and gutmann that do turbo mods to the 205 gti.
    now im not saying i want to do this but was just interested as i dont see people doing this here ,only mi 16 mods and motor mods.
    ive had people ask me what they go like turboed and i say -uuhhh?? dun no mate.-BAZZ
    not 100% sure why, but in Adelaide they are pretty strict on engine mods, an Mi16 with the same capacity gets you through the legal side of things.
    If you havent had an Engineers cert. for a turbo they typically defect you on the spot and will make it impossible to get back onto the road due to 'emission' controls. (again a standard Mi16 with all emission controls attached running std computer gets it through).

The other side would be cost and minimal hadache trying to squeeze in a turbo... seen on a 1.8L 306 which has more space but at huge cost. This guy was bagged beyond believe on this forum a few years back!

anyway If I had the inclination time and spare cash to burn i would probably go supercharger, keep it different from the rice burners!

There's just not enough interest in 205's to get the percentage of people who are prepared to modify them. Besides the fact that that much power/torque through FWD only is almost useless. The 16V is a more user friendly option.

The turbo 8V is actually more ADR compliant than an Mi16 with cams etc. It's very easy to pass a full emission test with a turbo, so I don't know why SA are so strict.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

al

I was wondering that too baz. After joining the 205 drivers forum i noticed there a quite a few over in the uk... I guess there isn't the interest in them over here to invest the cash required to get one off the ground.

I would imagine the cost for gain would be fairly steep compared to the Mi conversion as well.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Some dude in NZ turboes his 205Gti...was a very tidy setup that produced quite good HP.

I done correctly a FWD turbo will handle well and put the power down well. Look at the Megane225, Ford Focus RS ect, Mk5 GTi ect ect.
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    There's just not enough interest in 205's to get the percentage of people who are prepared to modify them. Besides the fact that that much power/torque through FWD only is almost useless. The 16V is a more user friendly option.

The turbo 8V is actually more ADR compliant than an Mi16 with cams etc. It's very easy to pass a full emission test with a turbo, so I don't know why SA are so strict.
    Peter, i agree. Also the box's aren't much good above 200hp, yes???? - Chris
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    I done correctly a FWD turbo will handle well and put the power down well. Look at the Megane225, Ford Focus RS ect, Mk5 GTi ect ect.
    Renault had to spend a "lot of time" developing the front end suspension to cope with the power & overcome torque steer...
    So i'm guessing it'd be a bit of a b*tch to put the power down...
    I'd say the RSC would struggle all through first & most of 2nd if it had a turbo... then its illegal speeds anyway...

Hi,
    I was looking for info on the net about the 605 SRTI and found this site,ive not looked through it all my self,loads of info about the 205 and Turbo charging them.

http://pug205gti.tripod.com/id16.html

Cheers chips.

Tadpole

Hi, I've turbocharged my 205 here in Auckland. Don't believe what people say about the FWD 205 not handling the extra power, they're probably not speaking from experiance anyway...!

Sorry no dyno figures yet (getting the car set for next week) but currently the 550cc injectors are running at around 80% duty cycle with 18psi boost pressure and 12:1 AFR, working from the efficiencies this should be around 280hp maybe more, maybe less. Only the dyno will tell.

But anyway with the LSD the car handles great, still lots of low down torque and super-driveable.

This gearbox was in my last turbo 205 too and no problems with it as yet despite lots of punishment. Will see how it goes now the LSD will put more load on it and with some stickier tyres too.

Quote Originally Posted by slon001
    Hi, I've turbocharged my 205 here in Auckland. Don't believe what people say about the FWD 205 not handling the extra power, they're probably not speaking from experiance anyway...!

Sorry no dyno figures yet (getting the car set for next week) but currently the 550cc injectors are running at around 80% duty cycle with 18psi boost pressure and 12:1 AFR, working from the efficiencies this should be around 280hp maybe more, maybe less. Only the dyno will tell.

But anyway with the LSD the car handles great, still lots of low down torque and super-driveable.

This gearbox was in my last turbo 205 too and no problems with it as yet despite lots of punishment. Will see how it goes now the LSD will put more load on it and with some stickier tyres too.
    Wow,... well done slon. We have had mi16 and beffy 8vers destroy their box not long after doing the conversion, i thought a turbo would blow the box within a few thousand K's. I supose it depends on how well the original was treated.. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Got any piccies?
    205gti

Alonnnggg time ago we had a very colourful character on AF Murat, anyone remember?? He seemd to get 9 tenths of the way to a turbo conversion. Unfortunately no pics but I did have a chuckle at some of his posts from way back then.. do a search on 'Murat/all posts by '

205turboSetup

205gtiTurbo

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    Alonnnggg time ago we had a very colourful character on AF Murat, anyone remember?? Cheers
    Chris
    Ahhh yes Murat.. i remember him. He sold of the turbo kit in pieces from memory. - Chris
    ... ptui!

[in really high pitched squeal]REALLY!!!!!!!.wow thats fantastic.
    ive got a book with a few piccys of the gutman and the turbo technics set-ups.
    along with casnell,id like to see piccy's of yours.
    i supoose the ultimate now would be to do a 4wd conversion????-BAZZ

Fellow Frogger!

Well personally (is a little off topic, sorry!) i would like to turbo a XN2, not for alot of power of coarse, cause of wet liners, no more than 5 or so psi, but for the sake of it, it would be a challange, but first i have to fit one with EFI.

A little more ON topic, a properly tuned turbo system will have a good smooth power curve(well for a turbo anyway), so keeping the power down in a FWD wouldn't be a problem. The problem is it cost alot of $$$ to get a well tuned system, and a lot of research before setting it up.

It'd be cheaper to put Jenvey quad throttle bodies on the 8v with head work. You'd get better all-round performance with a fully mapable ecu and much easier to get approved. Paul at Autoparis is aching for someone to have the balls ($$) to do this.

At around 6k I don't think I'll be first, but 160-70 bhp is tempting

Just my
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

At around 6k I don't think I'll be first, but 160-70 bhp is tempting
    For $6K you can get a nice turbo kit that will make that power with a crapload of more useable torque.

After seeing many turbo converted FWDs over the years and having raced them theres alot of misconception about them not putting power down properly.

If u are not putting stupid amounts of power down and you set the front end up correctly with good rubber LSD and suspension then the car will still be very driveable.

Also remeber driving a FWD turbo car will require a different or adjusted driving style.
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus
    with a fully mapable ecu and much easier to get approved.

Just my
    No chance in NSW! That's why a turbo is more attractive. You can retain the standard ECU.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Ah ok.
    Learn something new every day
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

Tadpole

[in really high pitched squeal]REALLY!!!!!!!.wow thats fantastic.
    ive got a book with a few piccys of the gutman and the turbo technics set-ups.
    along with casnell,id like to see piccy's of yours.
    i supoose the ultimate now would be to do a 4wd conversion????-BAZZ
    Hi Guys - had some pics previously posted on aussiefrogs when the car was just about finished - search for 205 gti turbo in the forums.

I'll post some more in the next week or so after thed dyno stuff is all done.

Simon

is this your car,slon001.

I copied them from your last post, those pics are better than the paris hilton dvd i got
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 Gti Turbo?-sim-012.jpg   205 Gti Turbo?-sim-013.jpg   205 Gti Turbo?-sim-015.jpg  

godamm thats some nice neat work youve done there mate.kepp it up-BAZZ

Tadpole

godamm thats some nice neat work youve done there mate.kepp it up-BAZZ
    yep thats the one - cheers. its a bit more finished now than it was then but all basically the same as then.

done a few hillclimbs in it and its gone really well, just waiting for the new race tyres for it (A048s) as the poor old FM901s are getting a bit of a hammering.

don't know why everyone is scared of the wet liners, i've had this car - and the last one for quite a while - to 20psi manifold pressure and sometimes a little more and no worries (yet..).

I was lucky enough to check out a 206WRC under the bonnet and apart from the different head the aluminium block was pretty similar looking to the XU9. I'm sure its different in a lot of ways but still running the wet liners.

finally got organised and booked in for some dyno tuning on friday to get all the high-boost fuel and ignition stuff done.

simon

Tadpole

very nice setup slon... im looking @ buying a GTI myself (possibly with a Mi16) and then down the track go for turbo setup.

If and when this happens I'd definately like to pick your brains

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information