Rear window demister
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Rear window demister

Hi everyone,
    Has anyone got any ideas why my demister doesn't work very well. Only a very narrow strip gets demisted right across the centre directly where the contacts are. I have checked every strip and they are all complete, with no breaks. The contacts seem to be attached correctly, there are 12 volts and the earth seems OK. Any ideas???

Cheers, Andrew.

Advertisement
    Cheers Andrew

Default Demister

Quote Originally Posted by artisan
    Hi everyone,
    Has anyone got any ideas why my demister doesn't work very well. Only a very narrow strip gets demisted right across the centre directly where the contacts are. I have checked every strip and they are all complete, with no breaks. The contacts seem to be attached correctly, there are 12 volts and the earth seems OK. Any ideas???

Cheers, Andrew.

The narrow strip where it demists is the only section passing current and getting warm.

You need to have a very close look at the demister pattern and will probably see a minute, hair line crack.

Alternatively check the resistance with an accurate ohmmeter of your demister and compare with a known good unit. I bet yours will have a higher resistance, indicating an open circuit on one leg.

If it is a exposed copper type you can use a meter to look for the break.
    Use the theory that 12 volts always appears across an open circuit in a series parallel circuit. Looks for the section which should very little voltage across it but has 12 volts !

Once you find the break, 3M make a repair solution, mask the break with masking tape, clean the ends of the break and paint several coats of the 3m repair solution (colloidal copper ?)

I have tried soldering fuse wire across breaks but this tends to lift the copper
    alloy and rarely works.
    You don't say what car it is.

Good luck

He's got a Citroen GS, this happens to all of them... I've got no working strips Who needs to see behind you anyway, I only almost cut off a semi-trailer the last time I was in a hailstorm

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

Thread Information