Citroen AXGT handbrake not working
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen AXGT handbrake not working

HI,

Finally got my car on the road but there are still some things that don't quite work, handbrake being one of them. I've adjusted the handbrake as according to the Hayne's book that came with the car but it still doesn't grip at all (not a good thing when I'm still not 100% confident driving a manual). Also, when I pull the lever it seems to only go up about half of what it looks like it should. Can anyone suggest anything I could do to make the handbrake actually work or is it just one of those thing's I'll have to put up with?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob
    HI,

Finally got my car on the road but there are still some things that don't quite work, handbrake being one of them. I've adjusted the handbrake as according to the Hayne's book that came with the car but it still doesn't grip at all (not a good thing when I'm still not 100% confident driving a manual). Also, when I pull the lever it seems to only go up about half of what it looks like it should. Can anyone suggest anything I could do to make the handbrake actually work or is it just one of those thing's I'll have to put up with?
    Hi Jakob

are you sure that your back brakes are working?
    the shoes may have corroded open.

If they do work, then the other thing it could be, is the lever inside the drum that works on the brake shoes..

Seems odd that both wheels arent braking.

Ken

Tadpole

The back brakes work when I press the pedal, just not the handbrake. Like I said before, the handbrake lever doesn't look like it's pulling all the way up even though I can't pull it any further. The guard covering the lever still has about 2 or 3cm left before the lever will hit it with the lever up as far as I can pull it.

How would I go about checking the lever inside the drum? Pull the hubs off and see what happens when I put the handbrake on?

Thread Information