mi16 oil temp/level sensor
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default mi16 oil temp/level sensor

Hi all,

Advertisement

I'm a tad confused about how the oil temp/level sensor works in an mi16. mine has never worked (on the gauge) but I don't even know if its plugged in.

I am a bit confused. First of all , is the level and temperature sensor the same unit?? I thought they were but now not so sure. On the wiring diagram they look separate.

On my car, screwed into the back of the block just above the sump is a ceramic type thing with a single red wire going onto it. I *THINK* that is the temp sensor. The wiring diagram suggests the level sensor is a variable resistor, with 2 wires coming from it. Is it somewhere else? or is it the ceramic thing also?

Finally, and the cause of the confusion, I have a 2 pin connector hanging down the rear of my engine, it dangles about 20cm above the ceramic thing. WHAT IS IT? where is it meant to connect to? Hopefully with a bit of knowledge I can put the car over a pit and fix everything up.

Thanks,
    Greg.

PS can anyone suggest a way to test if the ceramic thing is working? Cos if i'm right and it IS the temp sensor, then I can't explain why its not working.
    1984 505 STI

al

The gauge shows the level when you turn the ignition on, and when the engine is started it displays temperature. I haven't looked at the wiring, but in mine they are definately the same unit.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

1000+ Posts

The 'ceramic thing' is the temperature sensor. They are separate units - the level sensor is above this in the middle of the block side, with a connector attached to it, and a rubber boot over it (which has probably disintegrated by now).

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Wires 224 and 225 go to the oil level sensor at the rear of the block. Wire 30C is the oil temp sensor, next to the sump plug. They're all red.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

My CX has one of the PITA guages. As do BX 16valvers (I think). Does anyone here own one that works reliably

I pulled mine apart and managed to get the oil pressure guage working, but the level doesn't (however whipping the dipstick out works much better and more reliably). In my case it was dirty contacts in the instrument binacle.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by lunchcutter
    Hi all,

I'm a tad confused about how the oil temp/level sensor works in an mi16. mine has never worked (on the gauge) but I don't even know if its plugged in.

I am a bit confused. First of all , is the level and temperature sensor the same unit?? I thought they were but now not so sure. On the wiring diagram they look separate.

On my car, screwed into the back of the block just above the sump is a ceramic type thing with a single red wire going onto it. I *THINK* that is the temp sensor. The wiring diagram suggests the level sensor is a variable resistor, with 2 wires coming from it. Is it somewhere else? or is it the ceramic thing also?

Finally, and the cause of the confusion, I have a 2 pin connector hanging down the rear of my engine, it dangles about 20cm above the ceramic thing. WHAT IS IT? where is it meant to connect to? Hopefully with a bit of knowledge I can put the car over a pit and fix everything up.

Thanks,
    Greg.

PS can anyone suggest a way to test if the ceramic thing is working? Cos if i'm right and it IS the temp sensor, then I can't explain why its not working.
    THE 2 PIN CONNECTOR HANGING DOWN THE REAR OF THE ENGINE JUST MAY WELL BE WHERE THE PEUGEOT MECHANIC PLUGS HIS TEST GEAR INTO.
    THERE IS ASLO ONE ON THE 205 GTI AND ONE WEEKEND I SPENT 3 YEARS LOOKING FOR THE OTHER END TO CONNECT TO.
    THE PUG MECHANIC SET ME RIGHT.-BAZZ

Fellow Frogger!

Default no luck yet

hi guys,

still cant work out why the hell my temp gauge doesn't work. Fiddled round with multimeter but made no progress. Have had the instrument panel apart. Also when I am about to turn the engine on the level sensor always says the sump is full to the top with oil, which it isn't always.

I have attached a pic of the rear of my engine. You can see the oil LEVEL wiring, 2 pins on top of the column thing, then the red wire off to the side runs down to the TEMPERATURE sensor, then that plug thing I don't know what is. It has two pins, number 2 is a yellow wire with green stripe, number 1 is a yellow wire. Anyone know what it is? where it goes? Bazz i am pretty sure its not engine diagnostic unless theres 2 of them which i doubt.

does anyone have any info into gauge troubleshooting or the kind of tests you can do, (like the tests in the heating and ventilation section that you gave me Peter)??

any help appreciated

Cheers, Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mi16 oil temp/level sensor-imgp0548.jpg  
    1984 505 STI

I'm a bit puzzled too about that cream connector. Later models have a similar connectio on the speedo drive, but as your's is a '91 it doesn't make sense.

Take the single wire off the temp. sensor and earth it out. You should get a full scale deflection on the gauge. If the guage doesn't move, you'll need to trace the break or the gauge.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Default .

I tried earthing it out. Didn't do anything! If I remeber correctly When I applied 12V to number 5 pin on the relevant connecter which goes into the instrument panel, it deflected the tiniest bit, but bugger all.
    1984 505 STI

The gauge is always held high (+12V). The sensor decreases in resistance with temperature. So you'd need to earth out pin 5, if that's thetemp gauge.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Default help!

I have established that my needle is CAPABLE of deflecting. It just wont do it under seemingly any circumstances other than putting power accross it directly. I have POSSIBLY nailed the fault to some kind of capacitor or diode or something which is in a circuitboard in the back of the speedo. The instrument panel is Eglia brand, made in france, and the thing in question is black and has white colour "ZZ 22" written on it. I could not find any info on the web about either EGLIA or this zz 22 thing.

I was just wondering does anyone have a spare 405 panel with oil temp sensor on it? If yes, if you could get back to me, someone might be kind enough to test this particular unit on theirs to see a) if it shold be conductive, which mine is not, b) if its just meant to be a diode.

I know this is a long shot but I am at my wits end and it would only take someone 5 min with a multimeter to test if anyone wants to help out.

cheers
    Greg
    1984 505 STI

Thread Information