205 Starter / solenoid
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,701

    Default 205 Starter / solenoid

    Went to start the old girl yesterday after a few weeks of inactivity and the solenoid clicked in and nothing happened. Battery volts seem OK 12.3 which is low but not too bad.

    Would the solenoid stick in? I guess the remedy is to remove the starter / solenoid assembly and given its now 16 years old renew / rebuild it?

    Advice please before I crawl under to learn the hard way.

    With thanks,
    Matt

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Muswellbrook
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Try testing the voltage across the battery while someone is holding the key in start.

    The battery may be holding enough charge to engage the solenoid, but the starter motor itself requires about 100-150amps to turn it over....

  3. #3
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    If it needs to come out, take a gander at this; I think they're all a bit similar.

    General Mi16/BX16V starter motor removal.

    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,448

    Default

    Find the brown 2 pin connector, near the coil/ignition module. It has two wires, 46 and 47A. Wire 46 is the soleniod, which goes direct to the ignition switch. If you put this wire to the +ve side of the battery, the car should start. That will eliminate the ignition switch.

    If the ignition switch is faulty, fit a 12V relay at this two pin connector. Over time, the contacts wear in the ignition switch and can't deliver enough current to energize the soleniod.

    If the soleniod still won't engage after putting 46 direct to the battery, you have must have a dead solenoid.
    Last edited by PeterT; 31st May 2005 at 09:06 AM.

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    Thanks Peter, I will do this on the weekend, as well as putting the battery onto a charger.

    Regards (to Kyle and Alan as well of course)
    Matt

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Find the brown 2 pin connector, near the coil/ignition module. It has two wires, 46 and 47A. Wire 46 is the soleniod, which goes direct to the ignition switch. If you put this wire to the +ve side of the battery, the car should start. That will eliminate the ignition switch.

    If the ignition switch is faulty, fit a 12V relay at this two pin connector. Over time, the contacts wear in the ignition switch and can't deliver enough current to energize the soleniod.

    If the soleniod still won't engage after putting 46 direct to the battery, you have must have a dead solenoid.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    Went to start the old girl yesterday after a few weeks of inactivity and the solenoid clicked in and nothing happened. Battery volts seem OK 12.3 which is low but not too bad.

    Would the solenoid stick in? I guess the remedy is to remove the starter / solenoid assembly and given its now 16 years old renew / rebuild it?

    Advice please before I crawl under to learn the hard way.

    With thanks,
    Matt

    if you do have to replace it ,you can get starter motors for the 205 for about $350 or so.
    just remember that its not in a easilly accessable place so id go the new one if you can afford it.-BAZZ

  7. #7
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    if you do have to replace it ,you can get starter motors for the 205 for about $350 or so.
    just remember that its not in a easilly accessable place so id go the new one if you can afford it.-BAZZ

    ..............and if you don't find the cause, you'll be right back to where you started within a year or so; probably not what you want to hear but the truth.
    There's a guy in the UK who has done 2 within 18 months and wouldn't be told that he has to find what is causing it. Usually the relay Peter talks about solves the problem of getting the voltage down there.
    If you DIY the starter recon job, depending on what contacts you have, it should cost between $50 & $90. Skimming the commutator isn't an expensive item.

    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •