405 SRDT specs
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 405 SRDT specs

Tadpole

Default 405 SRDT Questions

Hi all,
    We recently bought a December '94 build Peugeot 405 SRDT, with 250,000 K's on the clock. 30,000km ago, the turbo was rebuilt, and the head has new gaskets plus new seals all around - apprarently the head gasket blew out, not into the engine itself - and the turbo was done at the same time.

Anyway, after reading about all the angst caused by the LSD, I was wondering if there is any way to tell if the seals on the injector pumps etc. are of the Viton variety? Also, is there anything that can be done/needs to be done to ensure the seals don't turn to mush? The previous owner says they added an injector cleaner additive every time they filled the tank.

Second question - this car has ABS, discs front drums back. When stomped on, the brakes make a groaning noise (and they work well to - once or twice the ABS light came on to indicate the ABS was inactive and just to see what would happen, I stomped on the brakes in a quiet lane when the ABS was active and also when inactive - when inactive, they locked up) and the rear of the car hops up and down like it has those jack-up shockers in the back. Is this normal?

Third question: We have the "water in diesel fuel" light coming on, but the handbook says nothing about what to do about it! All it says is "Water in diesel fuel light." So, what do we do in that case?

Question four: Just curious, but how does the air to air intercooler route the air through the system? I know the cold air is ducted through the bonnet duct into the intercooler, but where does it go from there? Is that same air then sucked through the air filter and back through the turbo, then into the intercooler to be cooled by the incoming air from the duct?

Much appreciated!

Advertisement

Mullet

'89 405
    '94 405 SRDT
    Last edited by Mullet; 23rd May 2005 at 11:54 AM. Reason: additional questions

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

slightly off topic but there was a 405SRDT in a local repair shop the other day getting it's pump put back in after getting a rebuild

the car was a 94/95 model and had 385k on it but the pump needed a rebuild

what exactly it needed done to it i don't know as i didn't have too much time to stop and chat but i did have long enough to look around and to see how easy they are to do a pump on

no need to even touch the timing belt
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts

Not sure about the seals, but I would ask the people who did the pump work, receipts? If you ask because of low sulphur diesel or biodiesel its only a matter of time until they go if they are not viton anyway. ULSD is hell on seals.

ABS don't know.

The water in fuel, change the fuel filter or at least clean the bowl. My sisters
    SRDT usd to do this as I remember, check it, if there is no water be happy and check it form time to time.

Matt

1000+ Posts

Sorry I forgot to mention the intercooler. Yes your on the mark but the intercooler is just like the radiator it has fins and pipes, air goes through it and then into the engine bay.

Air going to the air inlet will not likely have come through the intercooler as this warms it a bit. It would suck clean cool air from the side of the engine bay at the front. It then goes to the turbo, is heated and expands, then cooled by the intercooler where is compresses before going into the engine to be burnt.

Question four: Just curious, but how does the air to air intercooler route the air through the system? I know the cold air is ducted through the bonnet duct into the intercooler, but where does it go from there? Is that same air then sucked through the air filter and back through the turbo, then into the intercooler to be cooled by the incoming air from the duct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mullet
    Hi all,
    Third question: We have the "water in diesel fuel" light coming on, but the handbook says nothing about what to do about it! All it says is "Water in diesel fuel light." So, what do we do in that case?

'89 405
    '94 405 SRDT
    Hi Mullet,
    Congrats on the purchase of the 405. How is it too drive?

On the question of the water in diesel fuel. We have friends who have a Jackaroo Turbo, and they have a similar light I think I was told. My friend had to drain all the fuel out of the system? The fuel filter on a Jackaroo has a water trap in it, which, when full of H2O the light comes on, alerting you to the fact you have to empty the filter.
    Chris.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Tadpole

It's a very different car to drive that's for sure!! My wife is still getting used to having to change gears differently - it's not like the 405 petrol we have!! Much better fuel comsumption and I've found a servo that sells diesel for anything up to 12 cents a litre cheaper than anywhere else!!

I like driving it - very relaxed!! One advantage of the diesel exhaust is that it really discourages the tailgaters!!

Hmmmm......put it in for service today and found out that when the previous owner had the timing belt done 30,000 km ago, the stupid mechanic (obviously not interested in PEugeots despite taking over the Peugeot dealership!!) didn't do the water pump at the same time, and guess who has to pay for it to be done now???

oh well!! Thanks for the info about the water trap - it's at the mechanics now, so will let him take care of it!!

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Hi Mullet,
    Congrats on the purchase of the 405. How is it too drive?

On the question of the water in diesel fuel. We have friends who have a Jackaroo Turbo, and they have a similar light I think I was told. My friend had to drain all the fuel out of the system? The fuel filter on a Jackaroo has a water trap in it, which, when full of H2O the light comes on, alerting you to the fact you have to empty the filter.
    Chris.

2cv

Congratulations on your purchase, i also have a 94 SRDT

Mine has a clear tube running from the fuel filter housing as a drain for the water...dosent yours? Just empty the water out

ABS? Are you sure its got ABS? I dont think ABS 405's came to Australia...plus you've got rear drums....?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    Sorry I forgot to mention the intercooler. Yes your on the mark but the intercooler is just like the radiator it has fins and pipes, air goes through it and then into the engine bay.

Air going to the air inlet will not likely have come through the intercooler as this warms it a bit. It would suck clean cool air from the side of the engine bay at the front. It then goes to the turbo, is heated and expands, then cooled by the intercooler where is compresses before going into the engine to be burnt.
    Air goes thru air-filter, gets COMPRESSED by the TURBO and heated as a side effect, gets cooled by running thru your intercooler which has cool air from the exterior running thru itand into your cylinders.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by 2cv
    Congratulations on your purchase, i also have a 94 SRDT

Thanks!! But not too happy with it at present! Got a water leak, took it in, found it's the water pump then the mechanic found that all the bearings for the external belts were gone. Searched high and low for suitable replacements, but no go, so has to be genuine article. All up, pump + bearings ($900) + labour = $2k Sigh - the problem was that the previous owner used to take it to a reputable Pug dealer in Newcastle, who then sold out and the new dealers obviously aren't interested in maintaining the same previous high standard - the previous car owners learnt the hard way and took it to a Pug dealer on the Central Coast for it's last few services before we bought it. The turbo had been reco'd, head reco'd timing belt replaced but they obviously didn't think to check out the water pump and the bearings did they??? The other problem was that the previous owner didn't understand Pugs and thus didn't know what to look out for!!

Mine has a clear tube running from the fuel filter housing as a drain for the water...dosent yours? Just empty the water out

Firstly, where is ther fuel filter??

ABS? Are you sure its got ABS? I dont think ABS 405's came to Australia...plus you've got rear drums....?

It definitely has the pipes going from the vacuum cylinder behind the bulkhead down to the Bosch unit behind the driver side front headlight, the ABS light is on the dash and you can tell the difference when the ABS decides NOT to work - the light comes on and the brakes can be locked up. When the ABS is working no lock-up, but some weird noises and some pogo effects!!. Rear drums - go figure!!!

Air goes thru air-filter, gets COMPRESSED by the TURBO and heated as a side effect, gets cooled by running thru your intercooler which has cool air from the exterior running thru itand into your cylinders.
    Thanks for that guys - I was wondering if the cool air going through the intercooler was piped back in through the turbo, but not so, so that clears up that little mystery - it's very tight in there and hard to see in there!!

What kind of fuel consumption are you averaging? Ours is a mix of freeway and suburbia and we consistently get 43-45 mpg. (don't ask what that is in l/100km - that's beyond me!!)

Pete

The water in fuel light is easily cured, at the bottom of the fuel filter, the round cylindrical thing to the right of the pump as you stand at the front of the car, has a knurled turn valve at the bottom pointing towards the front of the car (may or may not have tube on it. Mine did but it fell off). To make the light go off, loosen the knob and squeeze the pump priming bulb a couple of times to remove some fuel and the water out of the housing. Just remember to tighten up the knob again.

Pump seals schmeals Biodiesel makes them swell, LSD shrinks them. I have not had my seals leak in 40k mainly on biodiesel. You will find that they are much more robust and may even be viton as the French have added 3 - 5% biodiesel as a lubricity additive for some time now. Worry about it when and if they leak, 420k says you may have a while to go yet.

As for the intercooler, a front mount or water to air would be far more efficient as top mounts suffer from heat soak and therefore have their efficiency comprimised.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Tadpole

Thanks Cruiserman, really appreciate that! That answers the questions for me! Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    The water in fuel light is easily cured, at the bottom of the fuel filter, the round cylindrical thing to the right of the pump as you stand at the front of the car, has a knurled turn valve at the bottom pointing towards the front of the car (may or may not have tube on it. Mine did but it fell off). To make the light go off, loosen the knob and squeeze the pump priming bulb a couple of times to remove some fuel and the water out of the housing. Just remember to tighten up the knob again.

Pump seals schmeals Biodiesel makes them swell, LSD shrinks them. I have not had my seals leak in 40k mainly on biodiesel. You will find that they are much more robust and may even be viton as the French have added 3 - 5% biodiesel as a lubricity additive for some time now. Worry about it when and if they leak, 420k says you may have a while to go yet.

As for the intercooler, a front mount or water to air would be far more efficient as top mounts suffer from heat soak and therefore have their efficiency comprimised.

Thread Information