gti 180 water temp gauge floating...normal?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default gti 180 water temp gauge floating...normal?

my water temp gauge is floating between 90 and the bar above it (100), can anyone tell me if they are experiencing the same problem or is this normal, don't want to be an issue of overheating...any advice

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by spaceghost
    my water temp gauge is floating between 90 and the bar above it (100), can anyone tell me if they are experiencing the same problem or is this normal, don't want to be an issue of overheating...any advice
    From what I've seen with other's 180's it's pretty normal. Remember that the cooling system is pressurised and does not run water so the boiling point isnt 100 degrees. I'm sure the 180 guys may have something more accurate though!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

XTC

Of the couple of GTi180's I've driven, this seems normal ... on the GTi138 it sits right on 90. Unless driven in anger and assuming the gauge is accurate.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Tadpole

Default thanks for the response

Cheers guys for that response...what drive my gti180 with madness...NEVER!

Fellow Frogger!

Hi there

Are you sure you are not talking about the oiltemp gauge. The water temp gauge should be on the bottom of the speedo or tacho. The oil temp gauge is the one by itself on the right hand side of the instrument cluster. If you are talking about the oil temp gauge then 100 is normal.

Cheers
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

I have a 206 GTI 180 and my water temp sits between 90 and 100 depending on my driving. The oil temp should run between 100 and 125, again depending on your driving.

I have found following close behind another car at high RPM lifts both water & oil temps very quickly. Water temp seems to come down pretty fast after backing off though, or pulling over and letting the car idle for a few minutes and settle down.

I hope this info helps.

Icon6

Same here - not that you get much of a chance to actually drive in Sydney, more so sit in a moveable carpark most days!! But for me, the GTi180 shows;

Water Temp
    Normal conditions (60km/h+); 85-90 degrees
    Stop-start driving; 90-100 degrees

Oil Temp
    Normal city conditions; 90 degrees.
    Freeway; 100-110 degrees (constant higher RPM's)
    (The harder you drive, the higher it will go!)

What I was most suprised about is the poor excuse they use for a radiator in the 180. After owning Mi16's/205 GTi's etc, the more performance orientated models have a bigger radiator than the standards spec models. The 180 is the same size as a 206 XR 1.4! Not happy Jan - am moving out of Sydney ASAP!

Hope this is some insight...........
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

I had raised this in a previous thread when i first bought my 180. Water temp sits between 90-100 degrees (air con off) and will fluctuate depending on how hard you push the car. I did however notice with that water temp sits around 90-95 degrees (air con on), perhaps this has got to do with the extra fan running then again with air con on, you would think it would bring more strain on the motor therefore making it hotter and inturn increasing water temp.

Anyway, I was told by one of the pug mechanics, that with the first factory software update, part of the update was to turn the fan on at an earlier time to avoid hotter water temps. I really didnt notice any difference after my software update....

So to answer your question 90-100 degrees for water temp is normal

Quote Originally Posted by 180HP GTI
    I have a 206 GTI 180 and my water temp sits between 90 and 100 depending on my driving. The oil temp should run between 100 and 125, again depending on your driving.
    125 degree's your really pushing your pug
    04' GTi 180

As has been mentioned before (though probably not for a while) the 180 uses a water jacket-type thingy to help cool its oil. This is the main reason that the water temps fluctuate so much (or at least a lot more wildly than the 138 ever did).

In traffic the water temps can also increase a little. I'm one of those "weirdos" that leaves the climate control on (that's what it's for after all) so maybe that helps keep the water temp under control

I've never had any issues with it getting hot, so I don't see why it needs a bigger radiator at all.

Oil temp should be around 90 in bog standard city driving. When I wasn't using the correct type of oil I found it sat higher. Any sort of sustained high speed driving (even just sitting on a freeway) means it will go up to 100 fairly smartly, and thrashing it around a track for the day can get the oil temps up to 130 and steady.

Quite frankly, if it's not in the red, there is no problem IMHO.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information