205 Brakes
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: 205 Brakes

  1. #1
    Member burkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    57

    Default 205 Brakes

    Hey all

    My brake warning light is comming on when i apply the brakes, so time for some new pads.

    I was wondering if Shops like Midas/ultra tune and the like are good for pads. all i want is to have them replaced. has anyone else tried these type of shops.
    If so where you happy?

    Ive got a 1992 205 SI

    Advertisement



    Cheers

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    im sure these type of places will get you a set of pads and install them on your 205 si but give them some notice of make and model so they have the parts when you arrive,
    remember they are franchises so quality sometimes varies from outlet to outlet.
    try to go somewhere recomended by a freind.
    also make sure you inspect your discs to see if they nedd machining or replacing.
    -BAZZ

  3. #3
    SMP addict pugjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Enruoblem
    Posts
    2,098

    Default

    yeah for sure.

    when i had the s16, on the "off" dealer service i used to take her to brighton midas.

    cant remember the chap's name (the franchise owner) but i think at one stage he owned a 205gti classic and was an avid french car enthusiast. i was always happy with the service and he used to even source parts for the s16, like filters and pads. from memory, the pads he used to source were of the "lockheed" (sp?) variety which i think were (at one stage) a peugeot recommended brand for brakes.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

    daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara


    previous frogs:

    88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16


    gimme corners. . .


  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    i found the balwyn midas in whitehorse rd very good also
    i had my exhaust done there.
    apart from taking 3 hours longer to do it than quoted,i wasnt charged for overtime hours and the only reason he took so long is that he is very fussy and wanted to get it right.
    i dont mind waiting a while if it turns out a very good job.
    anyways good luck-BAZZ

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! bazgti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nth balwyn, victoria
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    one more thing-you say that the brake warning light is coming on when you apply your brakes.
    have you checked brake fluid levels at all?
    correct me if im wrong[which i may be]but i thought that when the pads wear ,the wire disconnects from the pads and the warning light comes on until new pads are fitted and the wire is reconected.i have not had this happen so im assuming.
    you say it only comes on when you apply the brakes.
    id thought the warning light would stay on till the wire is reconected ,if indeed it turns out to be the pads that are making it come on.-BAZZ

  6. #6
    Member burkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Thanks Baz and Pugjet

    Baz the light is comong on mainly when i apply the brakes, it stays on sometime and also won't come on when the brakes are on. I'm pretty sure it is the padsd and not the brake fluid but thanks for the sugggestion.

    My little girl is booked in for monday, at a Midas. the $99 dollar service should see her running a bit better and stopping better too. Ill let you know how i get along.

    Thanks again for your help.


    cheers

  7. #7
    Member burkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Well the $99 dollar service has turned out to cost me a bit more than i had hoped, Ive been told $750. I need new brake pads and discs, they are at 8mm, oil and all the other stuff. a few other bits and pieces of about $70.

    My Air filter needs replacing and was told it would cost me about 700-800 bucks, i told them that was crap. i have a leaking front shock but there are none in australia.

    What is the price of a new set of pads and front discs for this mondel car. seems a bit too much for me.

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! casnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Heidelberg/melbourne
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burkey
    Well the $99 dollar service has turned out to cost me a bit more than i had hoped, Ive been told $750. I need new brake pads and discs, they are at 8mm, oil and all the other stuff. a few other bits and pieces of about $70.

    My Air filter needs replacing and was told it would cost me about 700-800 bucks, i told them that was crap. i have a leaking front shock but there are none in australia.

    What is the price of a new set of pads and front discs for this mondel car. seems a bit too much for me.
    What's wrong with the air filter?
    205gti

  9. #9
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burkey
    Well the $99 dollar service has turned out to cost me a bit more than i had hoped, Ive been told $750. I need new brake pads and discs, they are at 8mm, oil and all the other stuff. a few other bits and pieces of about $70.

    My Air filter needs replacing and was told it would cost me about 700-800 bucks, i told them that was crap. i have a leaking front shock but there are none in australia.

    What is the price of a new set of pads and front discs for this mondel car. seems a bit too much for me.
    I have a 205 Si air filter body if you need a new one, the new filter elements are around $15, don't know where the $700 comes from!!!!
    Graham

  10. #10
    Member burkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    57

    Default

    havent seen it but they said it was full of crap and needed replacing. i told them that it was fine and i would do something about it.
    yeah i dont know if ti was the plastic body he was getting confused with. that should only need a clean if it is dirty. how about a filter for the inside should only cost me like $100 at the most?


    they also said there was no air filters in Australia..... What ever

    I was mainly worried about the disc's and the price for getting them done.
    Last edited by burkey; 24th May 2005 at 11:23 AM.

  11. #11
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burkey
    Well the $99 dollar service has turned out to cost me a bit more than i had hoped, Ive been told $750. I need new brake pads and discs, they are at 8mm, oil and all the other stuff. a few other bits and pieces of about $70.

    My Air filter needs replacing and was told it would cost me about 700-800 bucks, i told them that was crap. i have a leaking front shock but there are none in australia.

    What is the price of a new set of pads and front discs for this model car. seems a bit too much for me.
    The pads are the same as the GTi and are available from EAI in Box Hill 03 9899 6683 for well under $100.
    I bought front shockers from them (Sachs) fairly recently.
    Caravelle are also worth a try, excellent prices. 03 98909061

    Graham

  12. #12
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burkey
    havent seen it but they said it was full of crap and needed replacing. i told them that it was fine and i would do something about it.

    they also said there was no air filters in Australia..... What ever

    I was mainly worried about the disc's and the price for getting them done.
    Bloody idiots, don't go near them again!
    Give Caravelle or EAI a call.
    Graham

  13. #13
    Member burkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    57

    Default

    I called him back, air filter is only 170 aparently some plastic part comes with it. i said not to bother.


    Most of the parts need to come from interstate overnight, i think ill stay clear next time

  14. #14
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burkey
    I called him back, air filter is only 170 aparently some plastic part comes with it. i said not to bother.


    Most of the parts need to come from interstate overnight, i think ill stay clear next time
    The Si filter does have a plastic pipe glued to one end but still not expensiove.
    Graham

  15. #15
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,367

    Default

    I can't believe your still using this guy. 205 pads would be extremely easy to change. Just go and buy some $2.00 plastic micrometers from the local junk store. If your front disks are under spec, get quotes on newies. If there not and the brakes don't shudder, why replace It seems to me brake rotors are **always** replaced just to run up a decent bill.

    You know .... I've been driving CX's for 12years and have never replaced a brake rotor. At one stage the fronts got below 18mm.... I checked the wreck up the back yard and it's brake rotors were still measured up to be brand new. So I used them... Why they get replaced at 40,000kms and stupidly low milage is beyond me.

    The pads ... Just push the pistons back, slide them in and your right for another few years.

    I'd just clean up the air-filter and refit. My CX turbo's air filter was buggered, it's a plastic frame with foam in it. I simply pried the frame apart, bought some filter foam & oil from the local auto-parts place and re-assembled the filter frame with new foam. Dead simple (about 12bux for foam, and 15bux for enough oil to oil another 1000 filter elements).

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  16. #16
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    I can't believe your still using this guy. 205 pads would be extremely easy to change. Just go and buy some $2.00 plastic micrometers from the local junk store. If your front disks are under spec, get quotes on newies. If there not and the brakes don't shudder, why replace It seems to me brake rotors are **always** replaced just to run up a decent bill.

    You know .... I've been driving CX's for 12years and have never replaced a brake rotor. At one stage the fronts got below 18mm.... I checked the wreck up the back yard and it's brake rotors were still measured up to be brand new. So I used them... Why they get replaced at 40,000kms and stupidly low milage is beyond me.

    The pads ... Just push the pistons back, slide them in and your right for another few years.

    I'd just clean up the air-filter and refit. My CX turbo's air filter was buggered, it's a plastic frame with foam in it. I simply pried the frame apart, bought some filter foam & oil from the local auto-parts place and re-assembled the filter frame with new foam. Dead simple (about 12bux for foam, and 15bux for enough oil to oil another 1000 filter elements).

    seeya,
    Shane L.

    Yes, I'd only change the discs if asked to by a roadworthy inspector, after all the problem was the light coming on, not the stopping power, was it not?
    Certainly change the filter though, it is paper in the Si and can't be cleaned. As I said only a few dollars. I wonder who is pocketing the $170 mark up???
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 24th May 2005 at 01:27 PM.

  17. #17
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Yes, I'd only change the discs if asked to by a roadworthy inspector, after all the problem was the light coming on, not the stopping power, was it not?
    Certainly change the filter though, it is paper in the Si and can't be cleaned. As I said only a few dollars. I wonder who is pocketing the $170 mark up???
    Graham
    Just checked the EAI website, the filters are $15-90!
    Si discs are $54.
    Graham

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •